2016 Hobby and gaming log

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: 2016 Hobby and gaming log

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Looks like a lot of fun!

And, of course, the obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

Broadsword!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Cheers Guys. Ah that video was perfect, thanks, shared.

I love the way he replaces all his furniture with heroquest furniture. :lol:
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:27 am

Here's a link to a good resource page for collecting Heroquest http://english.yeoldeinn.com/
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:15 am

Going through some old photos of minis today. There's lots I have painted which are tucked away in boxes and forgotten about. It seems I was a better painter around 2008 - 9. I'd like to try and get that clean level of painting back somehow. My hands tend to shake quite a bit these days due to being out of practice and a little bit older maybe. Do you guys see changes in your skill over time or do you keep a constant?

Anyway here are the heroes from Advanced Heroquest since Konrad mentioned it. I'm keen to try Warhammer Quest, FF love their cards don't they. We were surprised how the original heroquest had stood the test of time. It ain't broken, very simple set of rules with great combat dice. Apparently MB games are still clinging to the rights like no ones business but their own.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:51 am

This mornings efforts. Trying to get the neatness back so doing a bit of painting by numbers with this rather lovely basic paint set. The last set in the toy shop, it came with a brush and 5 Dark Angels. Unfortunately some of the paints were old and had passed their sell by date so the black was unusable.

It sounds obvious but one thing I'd forgotten is it's best to paint outside under natural light. Today was a little overcast so perfect for painting.

Also I've come to realise that before buying a mini I should think about whether I'll be able to paint it or not. With space marines they allow enough space to be accurate and aren't to difficult if you just go neat on the lines. Quite often I was doing guess work on tiny minis in my darkened apartment. It may be worth getting a natural light light bulb for winter I'm thinking.

Someone was in the pod!

The tracks go off in this direction. :D

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Good light makes all the difference. Ideally get a daylight bulb or two, but at the very least get a couple of nice, bright LED bulbs and set them so they're shining onto the surface of the mini that you're painting (you don't want them pointing at the mini from the sides or top as this creates strong shadows.
Nice work on the marines, though. Nowt wrong with a simple, tidy paint job. Nowt wrong indeed.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Finally got this fella done today. My goodness what have I done. :o

Zadok Allen was one of the few remaining humans in Innsmouth. After relating to traveller Robert Olmstead the history of Innsmouth he was captured and sacrificed to the Deep Ones by the Esoteric Order of Dagon.

Haow'd ye like to he livin' in a taown like this, with everything a-rottin' an' dyin', an' boarded-up monsters crawlin' an' bleatin' an' barkin' an' hoppin' araoun' black cellars an' attics every way ye turn? Hey? Haow'd ye like to hear the haowlin' night arter night from the churches an' Order 0' Dagon Hall, an' know what's doin' part o' the haowlin'? Haow'd ye like to hear what comes from that awful reef every May-Eve an' Hallowmass? Hey? Think the old man's crazy, eh? Wal, Sir, let me tell ye that ain't the wust!"

The Shadow Over Innsmouth. Zadok Allen.

Backdrop painted by my niece this morning. :lol: (she hasn't seen Zadok don't worry).
Miniature from Call of Cthulhu minis. Chaosium.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:59 pm

The Green Goblin and his goons.
Metal citadel whirling Night Goblin fanatics. These are some of my favourite minis to paint and where I first got started back in 2004. It was fun to paint some of these again.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Well despite relishing the delights of the great unclean and unemployed I'm seeming to get a fair bit of hobby stuff done. Weak lemon drink at the ready :) Here's a short review. Posted already today on my page but I like to post here for posterity

Takenoko first play.
Loved the presentation and production. The objective cards are interesting enough to keep the players engaged on three winning focuses: irrigating the land plots and gardening, farming bamboo and Panda eating bamboo.
EDIT
Personally I love the background story and the gardening aspect. You are a lowly gardener working in the Emperor of Japan's zen garden. China have just given Japan a Giant Panda as a gift of peace. You have been entrusted with growing and tending to the Emperors garden whilst taking care of the Panda who eats the takenoko shoots.

My sister thinks the Panda should have more of a threat level in play to make things more nail biting. We are thinking of giving the Panda it's own move with a random element involved on the direction and number of spaces it travels. Panda dice needed.
Hopefully the expansion packs offer more in terms of player stakes and risk. Overall a great family game for Christmas and a gateway into gaming.
3 Stars at basic play level. 4 with more rules added.

Last edited by ashmie on Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:28 pm

Looks like a fun little game.
I'm somewhat confused by the title though. Takenoko is Japanese for Bamboo, but Pandas are only native to China. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Hobby Logs”