In spirit. The 2017 hobby log (Ash)

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
ashmie
Wargod

In spirit. The 2017 hobby log (Ash)

Post by ashmie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Just spent my first evening of hobby time for 2017 gluing old favourites back together. This included a lot of fantasy minis, a Dreadfleet ship which I plan to repaint and a well loved piece of Warhammer scenery from 7th edition. The wizards watch tower has a bitter sweet feel to it and I find myself getting almost misty eyed and emotinal as it reminds me of very good times in Japan. In particular it was first used at the start of a campaign for Warhammer fantasy roleplay with Lovejoy and Egor back in 2010 called Death on the Reik. Many hours of fun geeking out with minis and RPGs in my tiny yet sweltering apartment. There was something cathartic about dusting these off and making sure it had all happened. I recall a hobby day in Japan where Satoru and myself spent the whole afternoon in silence painting Dreadfleet ships. Hobby bliss. We decided the games club had become an old mans painting club by that stage. I do miss those days when everything was carefree and simpler.

Anyhow my first project for this year will be the Batman minis such as Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy. Going to give the Batman game a whirl at some point. Also I know I say this every year but I would really like to get my ECW project completed so will make serious start on that. The battle fields are local to me and there is plenty of info on the period here so I don't have any excuses left. Still like the idea of building an English town square for a battle space.

What else? Oh yes, I'm going to paint my Simian Minions finally (Planet of the Apes) for the pulp setting 7TV2. Probably not a game I will get to play but it would be nice to get the minis painted.

That's all. Best of luck with your projects everyone.

Cthulhu at Downton makes it to the cabinet.

Lord of the Rings

Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Lovejoy
Legend

Re: In spirit. The 2017 hobby log (Ash)

Post by Lovejoy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:58 pm

The tower brings back memories! I think it was used in an Enemy Within session at your gaff back in the mists of time during Death on the Reik. I was Gustav the hedge wizard I think? And I think Egor had a Kislevite fighter who ended up wanting us to side with the forces of chaos. That caused a bit of consternation and I don't think the campaign continued long after, but it seemed the right place to stop.
Good to see your Mines of Moria minis too, they were unpainted when we played it through together. Seem to remember the cave troll being a bit of a bugger to put down. Ah, grand memories indeed.
Speaking (or writing) of LOTR, I'm planning to work my way through the Fellowship Journeybook for the strategy battle game, by which I mean using each scenario as a painting project over 2017. First up would be 5 Nazgul and 9 rangers for the Sarn Ford scenario. Don't think that ended too well for the Dunedain in the Appendices...
There's a fan made set of solo rules for the SBG called Isildur's Bane which looks like it might give me a way to actually play the game solo afterwards.
I feel at the moment that you have to paint what motivates you at the time really, even if you can't get games in.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Poison Ivy. Nature always wins. :D

Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Cool. For the Batman game?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:25 pm

nice mini, that. Also: sunshine! ha! Been bloody grim here recently :(

*edit* also: daaaang. You nailed the shade of green perfectly (well, based on that bit o foliage, anyway. That there is spot on Ivy green.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:24 pm

@ Prim Thanks mate. Yeah Batman miniatures game. Hoping to get Harley and Catwoman painted also for a Gotham City Sirens gang.

@MiJ Cheers! Thanks for saying that. I spent a bit more time on two to three different shades of light and dark green before I got what I was happy with. Knowing when to stop adding paint was a key factor. I'm pleased with this one. :)

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:20 pm

War never changes.
Cavalier on Jurassic limestone. WIP

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Evening all.

Nothing to report on the painting front.
I did play a whole day of Game of Thrones the Card Game 2nd Edition though. :)

Great game even if you are not a big fan of card games. My friend has all the decks and I might be visiting a beginners event next weekend at the hobby store so I shall keep you all posted.

What else. Oh yeah, I have been playing a lot of Ps4 and Skyrim! :lol:

Have a great Nagoyahammer Gentlemen. :mrgreen:

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 am

The GOt looks rather nice there. How is the game play?
BTW that amputation vignette is revolting yet well done.
Good to see you keeping your eye in, Ash mate.
Morituri nolumus mori!

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:06 am

@Mike

Cheers Mike. Yeah that Civil War Barber Surgeon diorama has been on the bench for years. I actually left if unfinished on details in the end as I thought that looked quite good from afar. It's very blocky in colour and basic but I think it works well in the model cabinet.

Game of Thrones the card game second edition is PVP with customization desks which are collected as a living card game. The best thing about this is there are no rare cards or expensive cards like in Magic which can make your deck stronger. The deck building is from a set of cards which everyone had access to if they have been collecting from when it started a few years ago. This works well I feel as I was totally lost coming late to a game like Magic.

Another good CCG to get in on atm would be Arkham Horror as this is only in it's first 6 months I believe. Unlike GoT it's a collaborative game similar to LOTR the card game.

Overall for GoT the card game. 5 stars for playability with enough tactics to keep you interested for many years. Not invested yet as I don't have the funds but maybe play with friends decks for now just to get some social interaction and gaming going again. It's popular over here.
There is also a lot of online play on OCTGN if you wanted to try the game out. http://www.octgn.net/
I may upload a live play session on you tube soon which I'll add here.

Return to “Hobby Logs”