The Thread Where Dave Puts Pictures of His Epic Stuff

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: The Thread Where Dave Puts Pictures of His Epic Stuff

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:10 am

job wrote:Certainly in the greater 40k universe there's a multitude of vehicles and monsters out there. Surely there's some pragmatic planet that's decide that having tails on their hovercraft is suitable to their planet.
It really is weird sometimes to look through other manufacturers' lines and see science fiction vehicles that actually look science-fictiony instead of like gothic cathedrals on tracks, heh.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:34 am

me_in_japan wrote:Sure, you could've trimmed em a bit to make em more stormraveny, but heck, if youre worried about making em look the part, why not just use a red Lego brick?
I just had to google "lego stormraven". I just had a feeling I would not be let down.
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.78 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 am

The Other Dave wrote:
job wrote:Certainly in the greater 40k universe there's a multitude of vehicles and monsters out there. Surely there's some pragmatic planet that's decide that having tails on their hovercraft is suitable to their planet.
It really is weird sometimes to look through other manufacturers' lines and see science fiction vehicles that actually look science-fictiony instead of like gothic cathedrals on tracks, heh.
Very good point. :D I myself am a bit of a 3rd Ed. 40ker so I like the idea that even the 41st millennium isn't so darn gothic.

On that note I want to ask you which force you think from Brigade's you think is suitable for Epic? I was thinking Post-soviet.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:48 am

job wrote:On that note I want to ask you which force you think from Brigade's you think is suitable for Epic? I was thinking Post-soviet.
Yeah, the neo-Soviet force is pretty much the only one on tracks, so that's what I'd go with.

You might also want to check out Dark Realms' Pax Arcadia line and/or Steel Crown's Royal Empire of Man or Guild for Guard-suitable miniatures. Steel Crown's Khazari line has some nice Valkyrie / Vulture proxies if you want a force with mobile storm troopers, too.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 am

The Other Dave wrote:
job wrote:On that note I want to ask you which force you think from Brigade's you think is suitable for Epic? I was thinking Post-soviet.
Yeah, the neo-Soviet force is pretty much the only one on tracks, so that's what I'd go with.

You might also want to check out Dark Realms' Pax Arcadia line and/or Steel Crown's Royal Empire of Man or Guild for Guard-suitable miniatures. Steel Crown's Khazari line has some nice Valkyrie / Vulture proxies if you want a force with mobile storm troopers, too.
Iron Wind do a large range of tanks, flyers and soft skins which would be suitable too.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:38 am

Primarch wrote:Iron Wind do a large range of tanks, flyers and soft skins which would be suitable too.
I always forget about Battletech. Y'know, Adeptus Titanicus was originally envisioned as a competing product to it!

GHQ is also good if you want that patented "looks like WW1 / early WW2" guard look. Good for Death Korps or Siege Regiments.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:44 am

Drop Rok!
Hooray for an army that lets you kitbash pretty much everything, eh?

*edit* I'm just noticing that the glossy finish makes it look a bit like a lump of poo. Oh, well.
Last edited by The Other Dave on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 am

The Other Dave wrote:Drop Rok!

Hooray for an army that lets you kitbash pretty much everything, eh?

I was looking at building one for my orks. Are they any good?
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:13 am

Spevna wrote:
It's a reasonably-priced way of getting a lot of orks into the backfield quickly without worrying about AA fire, but since it uses Planetfall it needs a bit of coordination. You have to choose your drop zone before anybody sets up their armies, you have to make an activation roll to have the rok arrive on time, and then it scatters 2D6cm. Having to choose a drop zone means you're probably going to want to drop it on an objective, which makes it not too hard for the enemy to plan for. Having to make an activation roll is the trickiest thing for orks, since it'll only arrive on a 3+ (which you can reroll if your warboss is alive, but still), and scattering means it could be hard to have the passengers start right off with an assault.

But it's the only drop pod orks get, and if you're using an army like the Gargant Bigmob, which has a *lot* of things that only move very slowly, it may be your best bet for threatening or grabbing objectives deep behind enemy lines. And after it lands it does make a nice firebase, which marine drop pods don't do. Since it's easy to guarantee it'll land within 15cm of an objective, the enemy will have to destroy it to get the objective back, and it's pretty durable.
-----

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:23 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Spevna wrote:
It's a reasonably-priced way of getting a lot of orks into the backfield quickly without worrying about AA fire, but since it uses Planetfall it needs a bit of coordination. You have to choose your drop zone before anybody sets up their armies, you have to make an activation roll to have the rok arrive on time, and then it scatters 2D6cm. Having to choose a drop zone means you're probably going to want to drop it on an objective, which makes it not too hard for the enemy to plan for. Having to make an activation roll is the trickiest thing for orks, since it'll only arrive on a 3+ (which you can reroll if your warboss is alive, but still), and scattering means it could be hard to have the passengers start right off with an assault.

But it's the only drop pod orks get, and if you're using an army like the Gargant Bigmob, which has a *lot* of things that only move very slowly, it may be your best bet for threatening or grabbing objectives deep behind enemy lines. And after it lands it does make a nice firebase, which marine drop pods don't do. Since it's easy to guarantee it'll land within 15cm of an objective, the enemy will have to destroy it to get the objective back, and it's pretty durable.

I shall get building.

Got the first of my stompas painted the other day :)
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Return to “Hobby Logs”