Introducing Craftworld Cynath'Anan

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Introducing Craftworld Cynath'Anan

Post by job » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 am

Good fluff. Well written as usual by you, Koji. Very lyrical and with the touch or the romance and the epic (in the classical sense). :) Very good and cool.

As for the fiddly things like what is "reality" in the 41st millenium, I'd say there's nothing canonical out there. GW rewrites the universe and its dimensions (the power or strength of power suits, psychics, IG regiments, etc.), so I say go with whatever your imagination takes you. Afterall, "seeing" the future can be done many ways: it could be a vision, a sense, a sound, a portent, a prophecy, an understanding, a sliver of the future, or a full blown prophetic awakening. ;)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

jus

Post by jus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:04 am

Wow snow eldar! Looking forward to reading the back story of your eldar. Kind of makes me want to start eldar again...In finecast!
Yeah ok, maybe not.

Haha your characters tend to ask alot of rhetorical questions dont they?

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:51 am

Nice writing! Feel free to read your fiction for the podcast anytime you are able. Like the painting and elder kanji as well.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 am

me_in_japan wrote:Nice fluff :)
Anyway, as I say, that the fluff monster speaking. In terms of creative writing its good stuff, and I'd have no problem reading more of it :) all that nit-picking was just in case you're a stickler for accuracy, is all. If you're not, by all means ignore it :)
That is exactly what I was hoping for! The fluff monster helps those in need :D

Maybe many seers did see the threat but there are also many paths that lead to both absolution and destruction depending on a specific chain of events? Perhaps his vision was clearer, or he took hold of one path that the other had not seen? Also, there may have been one thread in the future that did show a chance to save some or all of the Eldar from themselves and despite the unlikeliness of that thread becoming reality, the ruling council decided to take the chance. Could that be a possibility?

Hmm...not in the warp you say? Well, I would wager that many eldar on the craftworld chose to return to other relatives living on eldar worlds before the fall for whatever reasons and then suffered tha same fate as their corrupted kin? That would explain the deaths and suffering he talks about. Maybe they did spend more time near the eye than the other craftworlds. You mention Ulthwe, would it be possible for another craftworld to have shared a similar fate?

Could they have been sucked into the eye and then found some oddity in the warp, a place in between real space and the warp which slowed down the advance of the denizens of the warp gods and allowed them to struggle and survive without being completely overrun?

*Grammar error was the result of two phrases 'being consumed' and 'dying' being unintentionally merged ;)

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 pm

Edited the Farseer's story. How does it sound now? :?: :)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Much better :) the whole communal-farseeing thing is spot on. I like that it's not so much a case of him being the only seer to see the problem as its just him that's realistic enough to accept the likely outcome. That makes it less a conflict of ability and more a conflict of personality, which is far more interesting.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:49 pm

*Updated - The story begins :) (Did not go back at check it, apologise for any errors with syntax or spelling.)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Warning: here be fluff monsters. As always, feel free to ignore the following...

Eldar vehicles inside craft worlds don't need pilots - they're either simple enough that a regular eldar can drive em, or the infinity circuit just takes over and drives it.

While seers wouldn't necessarily wear robes 24/7, they almost certainly would when meeting a visiting dignitary.

The whole Crystal of Parting thing doesn't quite fit with established infinity circuit stuff. Gav Thorpe's Eldar books describe life in Alaitoc in a fair amount of detail. Basically, craft worlds are built around Wraithbone cores, which look a lot like a skeleton structure. The Infinity Circuit "lives" inside this. The infinity circuit functions as a repository of souls, but it also powers the craft world, and acts as a comm network. An eldar can touch a comm crystal (no doubt dome shaped) and seek out the "taste" of another eldar soul. Having done so, they can tag it with an emotion or thought. E.g. " desire-to-meet" with a mental image of the bridge of a thousand sparklybits. The recipient will then see/feel this next time they touch an infinity circuit node. The only reason this works is that by default all eldar are psychic. The thing is, Eldar crystals/the inf circuit hold souls, not thoughts or magical power.

Finally, it's slightly hard to follow the thing about the crystals in her clothes. From the bit where he mentions the weave of her clothes, it implies they are almost microscopically small, or at least measured in mm. Established eldar soul-stone fluff shows them as being pretty big (palm sized). It'd be hard to weave those into a garment.

That's all for now :) keep up the good work :)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Btw, are you coming to Ash/Leslie's RPG thing on the 21st/22nd? If so I can lend you the Eldar Path books, as well as the old eldar codex. Could be useful for a budding eldar fluff writer :)

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:54 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Btw, are you coming to Ash/Leslie's RPG thing on the 21st/22nd? If so I can lend you the Eldar Path books, as well as the old eldar codex. Could be useful for a budding eldar fluff writer :)
Unfortunately, I can't make it :(

Thank you fluff monster, you fluffy thing, you :) I will have to figure out a way to make my crafteworld unique and different without straying too far from the eldar norms. I will work on it :D

The idea behind the crystals of parting, were for eldar to store thoughts in it that would not dissipate, but rather linger so that those wishing a less direct form of contact upon parting or those wishing to relive the thoughts again after a long time has passed, could do so. Perfect, I though for those leaving the craftworld for extended trips, traders and rangers for example. :?:

Aeowin was not wearing a cloak, but I hinted at her lack of established protocol.

Yes, the crystal idea in the material of her clothes was an idea I had, whereby a part of the crystal bodies of dead Farseers of this craftworld are somehow imbued into the clothing of seers to aid and guide them. :?:

I am trying to make this craftworld quite unique among the craftworlds, but I don't want to estrange my readers. ;) Comments welcome! :D

Return to “Fiction”