The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

kojibear
Legend

Re: The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

Post by kojibear » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:05 am

Primarch wrote: Hold your horses, let someone add something first.
I'm trying, I'm trying. I am like a kid in a candy store. :D Gomen!

I'd like to suggest the Cyclops Cluster for the location of our Homeworld.

The Cyclops Cluster sub-sector is within the Gothic Sector in the Segmentum Obscurus. In this sub-sector is the Forge World Mezoa, founded during the Great Crusade by the Adeptus Mechanicus and built with the assistance of Ferrus Manus and the Emperor. Also in the sector are agri worlds, civilised worlds, mining worlds, hive worlds and a penal world, and a knight world. So there are plenty of planets to source materials from, a knight world to ally with, plenty of planets to source recruits from, and as I mentioned, a Forge World built by our very own Primarch. A good balance of machine and man in this subsector. Here are list of the planets, we would just need to choose one for our Fortress Monastery:

Known Worlds
Denerair - Agri World
Thanet - Mining World
CCX-104 - Uninhabited system
Misere - Mining World
Mezoa - Forge World
Moab - Civilized World
GS/PC02 'Slade' - Penal World
Lithore - Mining World
Numitor - Agri World
Halemnet - Hive World
Rebo - Civilized World. The fourth Blackstone Fortress was located here before the Gothic War.
Platea - Mining World
M'man - Uninhabited system
Verstap - Agri World
Dark Haven - Knight World

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 am

Ooh, I like the red chest eagle - much better than my idea.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 am

kojibear wrote:
I'd like to suggest the Cyclops Cluster for the location of our Homeworld.

The Cyclops Cluster sub-sector is within the Gothic Sector in the Segmentum Obscurus. In this sub-sector is the Forge World Mezoa, founded during the Great Crusade by the Adeptus Mechanicus and built with the assistance of Ferrus Manus and the Emperor. Also in the sector are agri worlds, civilised worlds, mining worlds, hive worlds and a penal world, and a knight world. So there are plenty of planets to source materials from, a knight world to ally with, plenty of planets to source recruits from, and as I mentioned, a Forge World built by our very own Primarch. A good balance of machine and man in this subsector. Here are list of the planets, we would just need to choose one for our Fortress Monastery:

Known Worlds
Denerair - Agri World
Thanet - Mining World
CCX-104 - Uninhabited system
Misere - Mining World
Mezoa - Forge World
Moab - Civilized World
GS/PC02 'Slade' - Penal World
Lithore - Mining World
Numitor - Agri World
Halemnet - Hive World
Rebo - Civilized World. The fourth Blackstone Fortress was located here before the Gothic War.
Platea - Mining World
M'man - Uninhabited system
Verstap - Agri World
Dark Haven - Knight World
Hmm...

Well,

a.) I could see a reason to locate the fortress on 'Slade' the penal world. Recruits would be plentiful, hardened and some looking for redemption and a new purpose.

b.) A monastery on Dark Haven may be possible if we ally with the Knights on that world. It would certainly be an imposing obstacle for any would be interlopers thinking to rid the cluster of its defenders.

c.) A mining world would give us abundant and quick access to resources for our monastery's own forges, and a hardened and resourceful human population to recruit from.

d.) An agri world or a civilized world would offer our brothers more exposure to the people and the Imperial ideals that they fight for, thus helping to promote Ferrus Manus's beliefs that a Space Marine must never lose his soul and must pause every so often to reflect on the mysteries and strengths of flesh, blood and bone.

What do you think brothers?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:16 am

Honestly I think thst the sinners of the penal workd have already shown their weakness of character. Elevating them to the ranks of the chapter would be inviting failure.
The Forge and Knight Worlds are unlikely to welcome the loss of sovereignty that hosting a chapter would bring. They are fine allies to be able to call upon, but their independence would always set them apart.
The civilized worlds certainly need protection and the support of the chapter, but what hardships have they faced? What adversity have they overcome?
It seems the mining world of Lithore would best suit our needs. The people of the Lithore system are of a sturdy stock, made as hard as steel by the harsh conditions of their world and the asteroids that surround it. They have some knowledge of the mechanicum's arts to maintain the machines vital to their survival and they know that their survival rests on their own strength and prowess. The worlds of Lithore will power the chapter's own engines of war and our forges will turn out the most effective weapons and wargear from the pure ores brought in from the mines.
Onward brothers, our new home awaits.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Chapter Master - Eli Garak

Eli Garak served under Iron Father Kastigan Ulok on board the Battle Barge 'Obstinate', which had survived the Isstavan betrayal and had fled into the warp. Hit-and-run attacks against the traitors had proven successful, but costly. Many of the loyal legionaries had died in the Iron Father's quest for vengeance. The Battle Barge was home to more than just Iron Hands legionnaires, Salamanders and some Raven Guard had also managed to flee Istavann V via Storm Birds that had docked with the Obstinate prior to its reluctant escape out of the system. In fact, it was the mysterious former Salamander known as "Saurian" to whom Kastigan Ulok turned to in order to fulfil his sacred mission - to kill Horus the traitor. Despite knowing it to be a deranged and suicidal goal, Saurian had little choice but to follow his commander's wishes to bring back to life the corpses of fallen brothers with a cybernetic semblance of life thanks to the forbidden knowledge of the Keys of Hel. Ulok's decision to use this forbidden knowledge sat ill at ease with the few still living crew, among them Eli Garak. He and the other remaining Iron Hands survivors effectively regarded the Iron Father's decision as an act of treachery against their Primarch, who had outlawed the technology, but could not turn against their Iron Father - not when treachery and betrayal had been the very cause of all of their current anguish.

The tipping point came when the Battle Barge came to the aid of a group of Salamander's commanded by Forgefather T'Kell and a small accompaniment of Nocturnian Firedrakes. T'Kell had been charged by his Primarch, Vulkan, to lock away and secure 7 of his technological marvels that if captured by Horus or any of his other traitor brothers would lead to great destruction and potentially the end of the loaylists' efforts to defend the Imperium against the warp-fed tyrants. Upon learning that Kastigan Ulok considered to fight and even kill the Salamanders in order to gain an advantage in the gruesome war, Garak resolved himself to finally betray the Iron Father and thwart his efforts to seize the unique vessel carrying Vulkan's terrible wonders, the 'Chalice of Fire'. Joining the Salamanders' apothecary, Saurian, and the Iron Hands' Immortal, Ahrem Gallikus Azoth, the three bought Forgefather T'kell enough time to destroy the dark machine at the heart of the Obstinate which kept Ulok's minions "alive". The final blow was ultimately delivered by Forgefather T'kell, when he ordered the Chalice of Fire to destroy the Obstinate at close range, despite himself still being on board the Obstinate. Iron Father Kastigan Ulok was presumably slain in the destruction of his vessel.

Drifting in space and near death, Eli Garak was rescued by the Salamanders. The story of how he came to become one of Cawl's subjects ('selections') for the Primaris project is not well-known, as it is a story that Eli shares with only a select few. However, Garak's memories of Kastigan's betrayal in utilizing the sinful tech outlawed by their Primarch, and of the further acts of betrayal, albeit warranted and justified, lead to much of the Astral Hammer's philosophy of the noble blending of bone and steel as laid out by Ferrus Manus. Likewise, unlike his parent legion - chapter (he still gets that confused), Eli Garak holds no grudge against the Salamanders and Raven Guard for the events that lead to the death of his father primogenitor.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:18 am

Hmm...what do the brothers think of our Chapter Master's name? Is it heroic, noble, formidable and enduring enough to be recorded in the proud annals of our chapter's history? Or, perhaps the data records in the cogitators should be expunged and the name replaced?

Man, picking a name is hard... :?

(Oh, and, yes, I did steal it from Deep Space Nine. :oops: )

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:58 am

I’m ok with the Chapter Master’s name, although I can’t believe our home world isn’t on “m’man” :lol: :lol: :lol:
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

jus

Post by jus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 am

I like the name for the chapter master too! I think it's fitting.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 am

Chapter Master Garak it shall be then.

I think it's time to start adding some fluff now that the basics have been hashed out, don't you?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Primarch wrote:Chapter Master Garak it shall be then.

I think it's time to start adding some fluff now that the basics have been hashed out, don't you?
Well here is a start. :)

Unknown date. Early M42. A month before the Battle for CCX-104, Cyclops Cluster, and the full awakening of Overlord Khadekhotep. Astral Hammers fortress monastery on Lithore.

The cold sun of Lithore was trying its best to pierce the clouds of ash and soot. It was a weak light, but it was tenacious and relentless. Much like the people of this world, he thought. They were his people now, and the Chapter Master could respect them for that.
His morning contemplation had become just as routine as his meditations and oaths of service. It was quite possible, he thought, that his time spent amongst the Ravens had changed him just as much as his years of forced brotherhood with the Drakes of Nocturn. There! He caught himself lying again. It had not been forced, he had chosen to remain with the Salamanders rather than rejoin his legion. But it had been the right choice. Hadn’t it? Curse the Ravens and their infectious brooding!
“Are we going to be out here much longer? Because if we are, I’d just like to remind you that I, unlike you, do not have a biologically superior constitution that will prevent parts of me from turning black and dropping off – and I am talking about the important parts.”
“Your hands and feet?”
“Sure. Them, too.”
“You don’t have to be out here at all. I thought we had come to that understanding.”
“Oh, we did my Lord. I understood perfectly that it was my choice, and I have chosen to risk freezing my manhood off in order to fulfill my oaths. They’re just as important to me as yours are to you, you know. More so in fact.”
“Oh? Enlighten me.”
“Well, you get hundreds of years to fulfill your promises to Him. Us? We’re lucky to get a few decades before we fall down a mine shaft, get elbowed off a gangway, cough our guts out, or worse, get married and lose all self-determination.”
Garak let himself smile. He liked Maxin almost as often as he wanted to throw him down one the mind shafts he had just alluded to.
“So, what do you think of our guests?”
“Well, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that they come off as a little...err...cold. Oh, and they have this annoying habit of appearing out of nowhere. One second you’re walking merrily along with your jar of holy armour oils, and the next a ruddy great black-beaked fowl leaps in front of you causing you to drop said container of His holy oils.”
“Ravens fly. They don’t leap.”
“Well, whatever they do, it’s bloody maddening, thank you very much. And I’ll have you know that ravens often hop about. I’ve seen them on pict shows.”
“I’d advise you not to let them hear you say that. They’re not all stealth, you know. They’re beaks and claws are sharp Maxin Donis, and the loss of your manhood would be the least of your concerns.”
“You only say that because you never use yours.”
“I believe you are trying to insult me, are you not?”
“Very good my Lord; I told you I could teach you something.”
“Indeed. Now let me teach you something.” Garak leaned down to stare the man in the eye. “Those inhospitable fowl you refer to have more honour and nobility than you could ever hope to comprehend. I have fought with them, bled with them, and I can say with absolutely surety that there is nothing cold about them. Their valor and fury burns hotter than the furnaces that keep this world in His service.”
“Well, there may be nothing cold about them my Lord, but there is most definitely something quite chilly about where we are standing. Mind if we go inside, or shall I tell Lord Shrike that you’ll meet with him once you’ve finished your morning ablutions?”
Garak thought a mine shaft may be too unreliable. Success demanded a more definite and confident strategy. Throwing him into one of the furnaces would dramatically increase the assuredness to meet the fatal parameters necessary to end the man. Not today, though. Garak hadn’t smiled much even before Istavaan, and the fact that this mortal seemed to be able force one out of him every morning was doing him some good.
“I suppose you’re right, Maxin. Keeping the Lord of Shadows waiting won’t help my efforts to convince him to stay and fight with us.”
“You still think he’ll change his mind?”
“He must. Otherwise, this entire sector will be lost.”
“Well, try telling him that, only say it a little deeper and with more gravity.”
A growl was Garak’s response.
“Yes, exactly. Just like that my Lord!”

Return to “Fiction”