The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 am

Up in the 40K section, there is a thread about interesting Space Marine Chapters. The thing that makes any chapter interesting is the fluff written about them and the skill of the writers involved. A good writer can make a dull chapter exciting and a bad writer can make even the most legendary of Astartes seem like a walking cliche. So really, it's more about the guy at the business end of the type writer than the information itself (IMHO).

Given that the majority of this site's active userbase are professional English teachers, with detailed knowledge of the 40K setting, the souls of artists and a passion for the hobby, why don't we try to make our own interesting chapter? We may not be at Aaron Dembski-Bowden or Dan Abnett levels, but surely we can give Nick Kyme or Gav Thorpe a run for their money?

This is my challenge for you, my fellow Nagoyahammer Forumites, I would like you all to contribute to designing a chapter for the forum. Be it the name, colour scheme or just a particular part of the chapter background, everyone gets a chance to add something.
The rules for this are fairly simple.
You may contribute as many details as you like, but you may only add ONE piece of information per post and you CAN'T post twice in a row, you must wait until someone else adds something.
Once a missing piece of information has been posted, it CAN'T be changed. You can build on it, add some more details etc, but you can not overwrite what someone else has posted. The Astartes aren't a democracy after all.
Please try to be serious, joke names and the like can and will be ignored. Likewise, try to avoid making this chapter a bunch of Mary Sues. (e.g. The Ultramarines think this chapter is better than them), or anything that would directly contradict existing fluff. This should be a loyalist chapter. If this thread proves popular, maybe we can do a Traitor Warband, Ork Clan or Tau Sept in the future.

So, what do we need to know? Here are some suggestions, but feel free to add your own ideas and keep checking back to add more. I will add your ideas to this post as they come in.
Chapter Name - The Astral Hammers
Homeworld - The Mining World of Lithore
Founding - Ultima
Geneseed - Iron Hands

Chapter Symbol:
The Circle represents the Galaxy as a whole, the lines on each side represent the Imperium, split by the Great Rift. The Hammer represents the chapter, fighting in the rift to reunite the sundered whole.
Colour Scheme:Image
Primary Colour - Bone White
Secondary Colour - Gunmetal

Battle Cry
Combat Speciality
Character Traits
Flaws
Current Chapter Master - Eli Garak
Noteworthy Engagements (feel free to add a story if you'd like)

The chapter master and veterans were chosen at the end of the Horus Heresy by Arch Magos Cawl to be kept in stasis for the Primaris Project, and thus have borne witness to the end of an age and the death of the Emperor's dream!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: The Nagoyahammer Chapter (name pending approval)

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 am

Ooh! Neat!

I'll start with a detail, if I may: It's an Ultima Founding chapter (for those out of touch with the 8th edition lore, that means all primaris, barely 100 years old, using geneseed from any one of the original 20 legions).
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 am

The Other Dave wrote:...using geneseed from any one of the original 20 legions).
Surely you mean from the 9 loyalist legions? :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:15 am

Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:...using geneseed from any one of the original 20 legions).
Surely you mean from the 9 loyalist legions? :D
The conversation basically went like this:

Guilliman: And you only used geneseed from the loyalist legions, right?

Cawl: Yyyyeeeeaaaah, let's go with that.

:lol:

Can I make a suggestion for picking colors? Two people can each suggest a color that MUST be used in the chapter's scheme, and two people can each suggest a color that CAN'T be used - that sort of puts some interesting limitations on the design.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:52 am

The Other Dave wrote:Can I make a suggestion for picking colors? Two people can each suggest a color that MUST be used in the chapter's scheme, and two people can each suggest a color that CAN'T be used - that sort of puts some interesting limitations on the design.
Sure, sounds good.

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:52 am

The chapter logo could be the Nagoya city symbol, if you want to go that way:
...which is easier to paint than a shachi...

or perhaps a modified version of the above with a hammer added to it.... :)
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:58 am

For paint - I'd vote for an old school halved paint scheme::
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:22 am

Old school FTW! I'm going to vote NO BLUE for the armor - too many blue marines out there.

Then I'll let some other folks weigh in about things they have opinions about. :D
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:45 am

YellowStreak wrote:The chapter logo could be the Nagoya city symbol, if you want to go that way:
...which is easier to paint than a shachi...

or perhaps a modified version of the above with a hammer added to it.... :)
So it is written, so it shall be.
YellowStreak wrote:For paint - I'd vote for an old school halved paint scheme::
Sadly Brother Yellowstreak has failed to read the Codex approved methods of generating a new Chapter. Only one suggestion may be made at a time. (Though since ToD has made his suggestion already, I think we can accept your idea).

But which pattern of Imperial Colours should be chosen?

jus

Post by jus » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:53 am

Hmmm. An all primaris chapter then.

Could it be that the chapter master and veterans were chosen at the end of the heresy era by Arch magos Cawl to be kept in stasis for the primaris project, and thus have borne witness to the end of an age and the death of the Emperor's dream!

Once they were LEGION! now they are... chapter.

Return to “Fiction”