The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:32 pm

YellowStreak wrote:I guess there would no longer be tactical/devastator/assault marking if those roles no longer exist for Primaris?
Oh, I forgot to answer this: the three symbols have just had their meaning expanded: vertical arrow is "battle line" (tactical squads, intercessors) chevron is "fire support" (devastators, hellblasters, aggressors) and four arrows is "close support" (assault marines, inceptors, reivers, bikers, etc.).
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 pm

I like the idea of helmet colour to indicate rank, and knee numbers for squad markings. Shoulder iconography for tactical role is fine, too.

I did a bit of reading about the Iron Hands and found this interesting tidbit:

"All this said, he (Ferrus Manus) was loyal unto death to the emperor's ideals and he also understood that his sons' fetish for cybernetics was beyond unhealthy and wanted to help them overcome it. His death ensured that last part would never happen, and indeed made them double down on their hatred of the flesh"

So it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the Chapter Master of the Astral Hammers has decided to carry on this part of the Primarch's philosophy, no doubt bringing them into some conflict with the actual Iron Hands.

Also this:

“In particular, the warlike culture and renowned brutality of the population of Old Albia, which supplied substantial numbers of recruits for the Xth Legion, had a great deal to do with the Legion's early character (as it also did for the XIVth Legion), lending them a fierce pride in a warrior ancestry that predated the Legion's Founding.”

Leading to the formation of clans, no doubt. I'm just trying to figure out what influence this "Old Albia" influence might have on their armour decorations (eg space wolves wolf tails, BA blood drops everywhere, etc.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:52 pm

But the Space Wolves and Blood Angels weren't necessarily called as such when they formed on Terra. Many Legions changed their names once they found a new home world.
For example, the Raven Guard were influenced by pacific islanders/maori culture before Corax showed up.

Assuming that we follow 40K's usual internal logic, Old Albia circa 29,000 AD probably bore some resemblance to Albion ie Great Britain (assuming GW meant that and not the old medieval name for the Elbe river, which was Albia). So I guess Celtic style art and decorations, woad tattoos and spiky, bleached white hair. It is certainly an interesting look.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:34 am

Primarch wrote:So I guess Celtic style art and decorations, woad tattoos and spiky, bleached white hair. It is certainly an interesting look.
Yes! A Celtic look would be cool. Maybe tattoos on their faces and bionics and a penchant for double handed weapons. I'm saving my hobby dollars for when gw decide to release them.

If I recall, the former Death Guard, the Dusk Raiders were also drawn from regions of Albia, but I imagine theirs was more pint of beer and Adidas poppers look, innit blud!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:28 am

I went by Joshin today and picked up a 3-box of easy-build Intercessors - the next two people who ask me for one to paint up in person will get one!

And we're getting into personal-preference painting style things here, and I think there's plenty of room for individual interpretations of the scheme we have, but I think I'm going to paint my guy up with black / dark gray on the main shoulder pads and chest eagle, as it'll be easier to paint chapter and unit markings over that in white:

Personally, I'm a bit cool on a Celtic influence just because they came from a 27,000-years-in-the-future Britain. Albia seems to be more influenced by Victoriana, from what little it appears in the fiction, anyway.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:04 am

The Other Dave wrote: Personally, I'm a bit cool on a Celtic influence just because they came from a 27,000-years-in-the-future Britain. Albia seems to be more influenced by Victoriana, from what little it appears in the fiction, anyway.
And yet Space Wolves are Vikings, White Scars are Mongolians and Dark Angels are medieval knights. Of course, since GW haven't really filled in much of the blanks, it's up to us to interpret what there is and work from there.
Besides which, only old Terrans would have any memory of such things. The majority of recruits wouldn't necessarily have anything to connect them to Old Albia, whatever that may be. I don't know where Cawl recruited the majority of his Primaris from, but they would have their own culture. The newest recruits would have a culture from the chapter's new homeworld, which is...?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:58 am

Edited to meet chapter creation rules - one suggestion at a time!

How did I miss this thread! :oops: :( But what a cool idea!! :D

Also, regarding culture, I would like to suggest that each Astral Hammer brother has a human attendant that is supposed to be more than just a serf, but a physical connection to represent their bond and commitment to humanity, lest they ever forget. The brother's relationship with the attendant begins once he has been granted his black carapace and it is expected that the relationship be one of mutual respect and comradeship. I don't think the attendants should be drawn from the failed astartes aspirants as that may lead to jealousy.

What do you think?

Oh and...
me_in_japan wrote:The Astral Hammers!

then we could have our own theme song and everything!
SWeeeeeet! :D

Oh and and...

I made this version of our colour scheme to Primaris it up! Also, I thought to add red as a contrasting colour for the Aquila. Cool logic in planning but red hot fury in battle, bringing further balance to our creed of the perfect union of man and machine.?????

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:13 am

Hello fellow Astral Hammers - I am ready to suggest a Homeworld, but alas I made a post regarding the culture of our honored chapter previously.

Would my fellow brothers object to me making my proposal?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:19 am

kojibear wrote:Hello fellow Astral Hammers - I am ready to suggest a Homeworld, but alas I made a post regarding the culture of our honored chapter previously.

Would my fellow brothers object to me making my proposal?
Hold your horses, let someone add something first.

I'm someone and here is something:

During the early stages of the Indomitus Crusade, the Astral Hammers often found themselves out of contact with the primary fleet. Unable to get support from other chapters, they instead turned to recruiting native levies from loyalist forces local where they were engaged. Militia, PDF units, hive gangs and Astra Militarum regiments were drafted by the Astral Hammers and included in their battle plans. The captains of the chapter proved adept at forging disparate groups of soldiers into a formidable force, using each unit to the best of it's strengths. Their combined arms tactics allowed them to form a cohesive formation greater than the sum of it's parts.

Ok Koji, over to you (or anyone else who wants to jump in).

jus

Post by jus » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:59 am

@Tod: OK! I'll paint up an Astral Hammer.
Primarch wrote: Militia, PDF units, hive gangs and Astra Militarum regiments were drafted by the Astral Hammers and included in their battle plans. The captains of the chapter proved adept at forging disparate groups of soldiers into a formidable force, using each unit to the best of it's strengths. Their combined arms tactics allowed them to form a cohesive formation greater than the sum of it's parts.
Like cogs in a MACHINE!

The flag ship of the Chapter is the battle barge is the Vir ex Machina (Man from the Machine) Manufactured specifically for the Indomitus crusade from the orbital shipyards of Saturn
Ok Koji, over to you (or anyone else who wants to jump in)
So where were you saying this home world was?

Return to “Fiction”