The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Astral Hammers - NH's custom chapter.

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:56 am

The symbol was knocked up in MS Paint, switching the direction of the hammer should be doable.

30K Legions often had a mix of both Terran and non-Terran members, which often incorporated radically different combat doctrines and techniques. The Space Wolves (or The Rout) were uncontrolled berserkers before Russ was found, the World Eaters (or War Hounds as they were known) were an honourable brotherhood of warriors. They had different cultures as well, some adopted the culture of their new world, some didn't. Notably a lot of the troops purged from the traitor legions at the start of the Heresy were the remaining Terrans. So, it would make sense that the Astral Hammers aren't carbon copies of the Iron Hands. Since Jus added the info about their senior members being old 10th Legion, they may share some combat doctrine with them though.
Personality wise, a lot of marines do take after their gene-fathers, even if they have never met them. Be it the artistic flair of the Blood Angels, the perfectionism of the Emperor's Children or the affinity for strategic thinking of the Ultramarines, nature and nuture play some role in their development. Again, they aren't clones, but they will tend towards certain characteristics. (Which makes me wonder how Cawl thinks he can pull a fast one by using traitor geneseed. Guilliman knew his brothers and is a genius after all).

So I'd expect the Astral Hammers to be fairly serious in their outlook, uncompromising in their opinions and gifted with engineering skills when compared to the average marine.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 am

Hey yeah, right, that makes alot of sense! OK Hmmm

I'm going to suggedt that chapter culture should reflect that of legion culture being as chapter HQ is as first founding as you can get.

Less flesh spare than other ironhands chapters, the Astral Hammers try to find a balance between man and machine, restricting bionics to crippling wounds.

Processing a battle with the speed and precision of a cogitator, the calculus of war is measured and quantified, then logically applied with brutal efficiency to the destruction of the enemies of the Imperium.

During the indomitus crusade the Astral Hammers became sworn enemies with the.... ( Finish the sentence ;))

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 am

The Other Dave wrote: Edit: Ooh! Ooh! Here's a nice quote from Ferrus Manus himself that could also be a nice justification for the chapter colors:

"Hatred of what is natural, of what is human, is the first and greatest of the corruptions. So I record it here: when the time comes, I will strip my hands of their unnatural silver. I will instruct my Legion to recant their distrust of the flesh. I will turn them away from the gifts of the machine and bid them relearn the mysteries of flesh, bone and blood."

So the Astral Hammers are looking to bridge the gap between the Iron Hands' unhealthy fascination with the machine and their primarch's desire to remain in touch with flesh and bone - metal to respect the primarch, bone to remind the chapter of their humanity.
I like it! I also vote for the hammer the other way around.
I hadn't thought about any similarity with the stormcast logo (I had to google it to familiarise myself with the logo). Might be a plus - are there stormcast decals you could put on Marine shoulders? I know they have shields that could work as storm shields.
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:28 pm

YellowStreak wrote:I hadn't thought about any similarity with the stormcast logo (I had to google it to familiarise myself with the logo). Might be a plus - are there stormcast decals you could put on Marine shoulders? I know they have shields that could work as storm shields.
Ooh, I hadn't even thought of that! It'll be useful. If they ever give any primaris models an option to use a storm shield, heh.

Battle chant: "Strong as steel, strong as bone!"
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:47 am

I updated the symbol in the first post.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:29 pm

@ prim - much improved :) Thank you.

re. Astral Hammers fluff: How do they feel about the admech? vis a vis the flesh is weak (or not, from the AH point of view.) Any rivalries there, perhaps?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:43 am

jus wrote:During the indomitus crusade the Astral Hammers became sworn enemies with the.... ( Finish the sentence ;))
During the Indomitus Crusade the Astral Hammers became sworn enemies with the Disciples of Hate, a warband made of renegades and traitors. The Disciples attacked civilian targets at random and with little thought given to overall strategy. When brought to battle they fought with red hot fury and with scant regard for their own survival.

jus

Post by jus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:00 am

Yes, the Disciples of Hate, those bastards! Those of the chapter fortunate enough to have made it off Istvaan 5 hold to the simple tenet that the only good traitor is a dead one.
me_in_japan wrote:
re. Astral Hammers fluff: How do they feel about the admech? vis a vis the flesh is weak (or not, from the AH point of view.) Any rivalries there, perhaps?
You tell me mate.

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 pm

So who's going to be the first to paint up some Astral Hammers?
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:51 am

YellowStreak wrote:So who's going to be the first to paint up some Astral Hammers?
Well, if I had any Primaris...

Return to “Fiction”