Nightfall -As Expected-The Guardian

Konrad
Wargod

Nightfall -As Expected-The Guardian

Post by Konrad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:36 am

To continue in my fluffyness. This was written as a prelude to the Guardian/Aspect Warrior Faction section. I wrote an "As expected" scene for each Faction, to further illustrate their motiviations and the justification each has found for fighting the others.
You may be relieved to know it is much, much sorter than the first bit.
The Guardians/Aspect warriors fill the role of traditionalist, back to basics, law and order types. You know, if everyone just respected authority like in the old days, everything would be fine.

The Scene

The Guardian stands erect, carried through a vast chamber on an invisible chariot of air. Row upon row of soldiers in elegant battle dress stand at attention, immobile as statues. Banners unfurl at telekinetic command, holograms of the Guardian’s countless victories are projected, martial music swells.
The chariot carries her to an immense armored door. Layers of iridium peel back, humming energy fields dampen to allow entrance, entrance into a hall, a hall, but without visible floor or ceiling. It is still called the command center, but it has the air of a mausoleum. Once images of military intelligence streamed through this hall as quickly as thought, a cascade of fleet deployments, alien insurgencies, and weapons test data. An army of technicians angled in this torrent, sifting, sorting, analyzing. Now, the wars won, a single armored figure stands alone. His gaze cast into a single display screen, he seemingly ignores the Guardian's approach.

The Marshal- Reports say the meeting was as expected. I’ll hear your opinion and recommendations.
The Guardian- Yes sir, it was as you anticipated. The factions remain obstinate. They cannot see the simple fact that their behavior is dangerous to our way of life, to the Path. As always they justify their ambitions by wrapping them in philosophy.
You already know my recommendation.
Just give the command.

At the Marshal’s though, the chamber comes instantly to life.. Endless displays of endless military might erupt into the air. There are fleets of battleships, each one capable of incinerating a star system, countless legions of titantic, striding war machines, lethal gliding tanks, and weapons to exotic to even begin describing, A mighty fist, held in check by his hand alone.
The Marshal- No.
(turning to the Guardian) No. In the end the Path, and Authority…ultimate Authority, has always been in the hands of the warrior. The Factions know this and fear. The others must be sent a message, curb your excesses or pay the price. But to unleash this arsenal on our own people is not a viable option. Not under the current conditions. The message will be discreet, covert, precise application of force at the right place and time.
Summon your Grand Autarchs. Have them find dependable warriors, patriots, who have the skill and resolve to accomplish these types of missions.
The Guardian As you command.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Nightfall -As Expected-The Guardian

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:56 am

I'll go get my comb. Y'know - the fine toothed one...
Banners unfurl at telekinetic command,
Thatd be telepathic, not telekinetic. The act is telekinetic. The command is telepathic.
Layers of iridium peel back,
Eldar dont use iridium. Its a human thing. They use wraithbone instead.
dangerous to our way of life, to the Path.
no Path before the Fall, blah blah...
weapons to exotic to even begin describing,
That's almost Lovecraftian in its vagueness. Well done :D Oh, and its "too" with two Os. (The first one, that is. The second one just has the one "o".)
Summon your Grand Autarchs.
No autarchs pre-Fall. No autarchs because to become an autarch one must have first trod the path of a variety of warrior aspects. There are no aspect warriors because Khaine is still alive and well and not split into lots of teeny tiny pieces at this point and, since there is no Slaanesh, there is no need to split the warrior way up into wee bits to avoid death by concentrating too much on how to chop people's heads off.

OK, I'm done for the nonce. Let me know if I need to find a finer toothed comb - I'll come a-running :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Well, I rather liked reading this little story even if it is factually incorrect. I'm looking forward to the next installment and trying to decide which faction I would use if Konrad's vision ever became a reality.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:15 am

@Prim-Thanks, there is more.
@MIJ- Thanks, but you made me go back and read the Codices again. A terrible thing to do to a lazy man.
The quote function is kicking my butt so I'll do this the old fashioned way.

Konrad- Banners unfurl at telekinetic command,

MIJ- Thatd be telepathic, not telekinetic. The act is telekinetic. The command is telepathic.

Konrad- Check

Konrad- Layers of iridium peel back,

MIJ- Eldar dont use iridium. Its a human thing. They use wraithbone instead.

Konrad- But iridium is such a good word. "Wraithbone" just does not say, "it's shiny AND nigh-invulnerable at the same time" like iridium does! And it just rolls off the tounge. Go ahead, say it a few times, iridium, iridium....oooooh...

Konrad- dangerous to our way of life, to the Path.

MIJ- no Path before the Fall, blah blah...

Konrad- I am taking some liberties with the word "path" here. The Eldar Path of the 41st millenium as I see it, is like living your whole life as a mantra. Focus, repeat, keep everything under control, because if you loose it, your soul gets eaten by a hungry god. Within that the various "paths" that of the Warrior, Artisan, Seer etc. exist so that they can actually have a functioning society and get the work done.
I'm introducing "The Path" capital "P" to give the Factions something to fight over. Loot and territory would not be enough. It would be something like, "The American Way", an ideal that means something different to each and every person who hears it. A huge complicated all encompassing thing, summed up in one word. "Path" is an Eldar-y word that fits. I see the pre-Fall Eldar all agreeing that things are going to heck in a handbasket, but disagree on how to fix it. (Just like people.) Every geek who reads this is familiar with the Path of the Eldar. I'm trying to imagine the roots of that path.

Konrad- Summon your Grand Autarchs.

MIJ-No autarchs pre-Fall. No autarchs because to become an autarch one must have first trod the path of a variety of warrior aspects. There are no aspect warriors because Khaine is still alive and well and not split into lots of teeny tiny pieces at this point and, since there is no Slaanesh, there is no need to split the warrior way up into wee bits to avoid death by concentrating too much on how to chop people's heads off.

Konrad- I read that the various bits of Khaine descended into the Avatars enshrined in the various Craftworlds. I couldn't find anything saying that these bits are associated with any particular Aspect. I was taking Aspects of Khaine in the sense of a sort of twisted Trinity, "Khaine in 8 persons, all glory thou art..." Even if these Aspects become seperated later, they could still exist together. Khaines mere mortal followers only imitating one Aspect of the awesome whole that is Khaine.
And Eldar game with no Aspects? Can't do it.

MIJ- No Craftworlds before the Fall....

Konrad- Well....poop. It does say that in black and white. So the Eldar escaped the Fall on the Craftworlds they built after the Fall? ...kind of a chicken or the egg thing.... Same as Aspects, gotta have Craftworlds, just wouldn't be Elfy without them. The image of a world, a whole world drawn out of the Warp, formed by and of pure thought just fits too perfectly with some themes that I'm seeing the Seer embody.

MIJ-OK, I'm done for the nonce. Let me know if I need to find a finer toothed comb - I'll come a-running

Konrad- Thanks for combing. Sorry if I'm coming off like I'm blowing you off. I'm just being a self-centered artist here, making things fit my personal vision.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:37 am

no problem at all, chief. I totally respect the fact that this is your story/game idea. Any points I make are there purely from a fluff correctness point of view - If you dont like em, then you are totally at liberty to ignore em completely. Keep up the good work :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Fiction”