Which Black Library book is the best?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Which Black Library book is the best?

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 pm

I have read quite a lot of the BL books. Not all of them, but quite a lot. I love the Guants Ghosts books as well as Eisenhorn and Ravenor by Dan Abnett. The Ciaphis Cain stories are also good.

Personally, my favourite book so far has been Tales of Heresy. I particularly enjoyed the Last Church mini story and many of the others provided some nice insights as well. Nemesis was also a wicked good read and a nice view of the Imperium as the heresy took hold, as told from a non-marine perspective.

The worst book I have read (and there have been some stinkers) is 15 Hours. Thankfully it didnt take that long to read, but it was awful. The only other book I have read by the same author Descent of Angels is also dreadful.

What say you?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Seb
Champion

Re: Which Black Library book is the best?

Post by Seb » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:17 am

I am currently reading Warriors of Ultramar by Graham McNeill, it is the first BL novel that I am reading and I am not even halfway but it has so far been awesome. The book is about the combined forces of the Ultramarines, Mortifactors and Imperial Guard trying to stop a Tyranid onslaught. The novel is divided up so that you can experience the conflict from many various perspectives of the people involved in it, all from the marines to common imperial citizens to the 6 imperial servants stationed on a small listening post at the end of the system as the massive tyranid force comes upon them. The original reason I got it was to get information about the Mortifactors but it is a quality novel that keeps me enjoyed. :)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:23 am

Seb wrote:I am currently reading Warriors of Ultramar by Graham McNeill, it is the first BL novel that I am reading and I am not even halfway but it has so far been awesome. The book is about the combined forces of the Ultramarines, Mortifactors and Imperial Guard trying to stop a Tyranid onslaught. The novel is divided up so that you can experience the conflict from many various perspectives of the people involved in it, all from the marines to common imperial citizens to the 6 imperial servants stationed on a small listening post at the end of the system as the massive tyranid force comes upon them. The original reason I got it was to get information about the Mortifactors but it is a quality novel that keeps me enjoyed. :)
The Ultramarines books by Graham McNeill aren't bad. Warriors of Ultramar is one of the better ones I think. I'll bring some novels along next time I see you if you want.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:13 pm

I just finished reading The First Heretic tonight. Aaron Dembski-Bowden writes a mean 40k novel. Sadly, as with most of the other HH series, the fall of the Primarchs (in this case Lorgar of the Word Bearers) is on a par with Anakin Skywalker in the 3rd part of the newer Star Wars trilogy.

CHAOS - Turn to the dark side Lorgar. Its cool.
LORGAR - Are you telling me the truth?
CHAOS - .......er.....Yes?
LORGAR - Okey dokey then.

Apart from that, its a great book and the main protaganist is well written. There are some truly awesome pieces of writing in the book once you get past the initial fall.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:38 am

I have not read any of the Black Library books. The only GW novels I read were the old "Dark Future" novels. And they were a gas. A Mad-Max meets William Gibson meets, Six String Samurai gas.
And full of John Blanche illustrations to boot.
391px-DarkFutureComebacktour_1993edition.jpg
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

jus

Post by jus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:37 pm

....Elvis with a machine gun? hilarious.
Aaron Dembski-Bowden writes a mean 40k novel
Agreed. 8-) Mr. Dembski-Bowden is a rising star in the black library arena. I am half way through his marines battles book "Helsreach" I probably rate it as some of the very best black library stuff I've ever read. (dare I say even better than Abnett.) Its centers on the black templars named character, Chaplain Grimaldus, and his defence of Hive Helsreach, and how he survives against all odds (not a spoiler as this is all in his codex entry) to become the independent character we all know and love and never ever field because his rules just aren't that great. So far it's a blast, although being a templar player I may be a bit biased, and it really nails it with the whole templar renegade anti hero, badass feel.

I'll get onto the first heretic straight after I finish up Helsreach...but I really don't want it finish. :D

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:09 pm

jus wrote:I'll get onto the first heretic straight after I finish up Helsreach...but I really don't want it finish. :D
Well, now that I am done with Prospero Burns I'll take a looky at Helsreach. Its been sitting on my bookshelf for the past week whilst I got through with the Horus Heresy books.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:38 am

I haven't read many but I enjoyed Drachenfels when it was first released, mind you I was a kid then so not sure how it would read now. I read Enemy Within recently, that was quite silly but funny.
It contained lines like "His beloved had been killed by chaos demons, he had no one left, but it wasn't such a loss after all as she had been a whore!"
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

jus

Post by jus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:28 am

His beloved had been killed by chaos demons, he had no one left, but it wasn't such a loss after all as she had been a whore!"
billiant! :lol: I might have to take a look at that one.

@prim: say, how was "propero burns" anyway? is it the master piece that Abnett claims? I'm thinking of getting the audio..

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 am

jus wrote:@prim: say, how was "propero burns" anyway? is it the master piece that Abnett claims? I'm thinking of getting the audio..
It was awesome, but not in the way that other BL books are. For example Helsreach is all battles, killing, action and high adventure in the grim dark far future. Prospero Burns is NOT any of that. There are battles, killing, action and high adventure, but not in the same way. Read "A Thousand Sons" for the action part of the story. I'm trying to decide if Prospero Burns is the best BL book I have ever read or not. It is totally different to what I was expecting and to every other book they have done. I wouldnt buy the audio because unless they have a cast of VERY talented voice actors it will never do the book justice.
ashmie wrote:I haven't read many but I enjoyed Drachenfels when it was first released, mind you I was a kid then so not sure how it would read now. I read Enemy Within recently, that was quite silly but funny.
It contained lines like "His beloved had been killed by chaos demons, he had no one left, but it wasn't such a loss after all as she had been a whore!"
The old books were a bit more adult I think. Drachenfels was awesome and the RPG module for WFRP was insane in the number of ways characters would die. :D All of the old Ian Watson and Jack Yeovil stuff was a very different flavour to what BL turns out now. Actually, I prefer the newer stuff most of the time. The old Inquisition War series was very difficult to follow in places.

Return to “Fiction”