Which Black Library book is the best?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Which Black Library book is the best?

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:26 am

im keen to read Prospero Burns - im a fan of abnetts.

btw - i just finished Blood Pact. I kinda liked it, but a coupla things made me go "hmmn". That said, it does seem to be a bit of a bridge for whatever the next "block" is gonna be (i.e. the the founding, the saint, the lost, the ...?)

anybody else read this un? what are your thoughts? (without spoilers for folks, of course)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 am

me_in_japan wrote:im keen to read Prospero Burns - im a fan of abnetts.

btw - i just finished Blood Pact. I kinda liked it, but a coupla things made me go "hmmn". That said, it does seem to be a bit of a bridge for whatever the next "block" is gonna be (i.e. the the founding, the saint, the lost, the ...?)

anybody else read this un? what are your thoughts? (without spoilers for folks, of course)
It was a little short, or at least it felt that way. I enjoyed it, as I do with all D.A's books, it wasn't his greatest work, but it did break the mould a little. As you said, it was a bridge more than anything else.

If you want I can bring Prospero to the Winter Blitz event if you haven't already got it by then. I'll warn you now, you may not like it. I can see it being one of the books that divides opinion between 'awesome' and 'wtf did I read?' amongst some folk. I finished all 450-odd pages of it in the space of 3 days, I couldnt put it down. To give you some idea of the contents, it's more "Last Church" than "Wolf at the Door." (See Tales of Heresy).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:49 pm

cheers for the offer, but i intend to have it read and on the shelf by that point. in terms of content, the last church is one of my favourite BL short stories, so im quite looking forwards to prospero. My fave short story ever in the 40k universe is "message in a bottle". Makes me laugh every time. (his other stuff is worth a gander, too, btw.)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:41 pm

me_in_japan wrote:My fave short story ever in the 40k universe is "message in a bottle". Makes me laugh every time.
Hmmm. Nice idea, delivery was a bit 'meh' to be honest. Not that it was bad, just not great.
me_in_japan wrote:The last church is one of my favourite BL short stories, so im quite looking forwards to prospero.
Good man. Prospero really stands out from the rest of the HH series as the Primarchs who appear in it dont come across as whiney petulant Anakin-Skywalker-alike brats nor are they portrayed as being dumber than a handful of chimps who have been fed a steady diet of lead and mercury. (both cause brain damage for the lead and mercury eaters out there).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:36 am

hmm graham Mc'Niel's stuff has been getting rather popular of late, what with the new york times best seller and what not, for those who have read it, how would you rate a thousand sons?

I've just finished listening to Godking the complete and unabridged reading in audio book format, altogether it was about 6 hours long, and well worth the money. I must say, I wasn't a big fan of his ultramarine omnibus, but his later stuff is not bad.

hmm thousand sons also has an audio book too.. theres an excerpt of some audio on the black library website for those interested

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:40 am

jus wrote:hmm graham Mc'Niel's stuff has been getting rather popular of late, what with the new york times best seller and what not, for those who have read it, how would you rate a thousand sons?

I've just finished listening to Godking the complete and unabridged reading in audio book format, altogether it was about 6 hours long, and well worth the money. I must say, I wasn't a big fan of his ultramarine omnibus, but his later stuff is not bad.

hmm thousand sons also has an audio book too.. theres an excerpt of some audio on the black library website for those interested
A Thousand Sons is a very good book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I tried listening to The Dark King and The Lightning Tower and I have to say that I would much rather read a book than listen to one. I dunno, kids these days and their Eye-pods and Em-Pee 3 players. Why, back in my day we had to make do with Em-Pee 1s and we considered ourselves darned lucky to have those.

jus

Post by jus » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 am

I dunno, kids these days and their Eye-pods and Em-Pee 3 players. Why, back in my day we had to make do with Em-Pee 1s and we considered ourselves darned lucky to have those.
hey, books have there places, on trains and buses. That and you can't paint miniatures and read a book at the same time. Audio books allow you to multi-task, its great.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 am

im with stu on this one - audio books are for wussies :p

I did listen to the dark king/lightning tower (as opposed to the dark tower by stephen king... :? ) and they were ok, but if theyd been available in book form id rather have read em than listened to em. I just think that its easier to visualise stuff from books than listening to it on an mp3 or what have you.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 am

jus wrote:hey, books have there places, on trains and buses. That and you can't paint miniatures and read a book at the same time. Audio books allow you to multi-task, its great.
When I'm painting I have music on in the background, but I dont really pay attention to it. When I am reading I only want to read. I dont want to break my concentration. Multi-tasking is not something I want to do with a story. :D
me_in_japan wrote:I just think that its easier to visualise stuff from books than listening to it on an mp3 or what have you.
I second this. Its the same with rulebooks and what not. Sure your Ipad looks swish and all, but I would rather have the real book rather than pdfs for reference.

Return to “Fiction”