Warhammer 40,000 - the Grim Wolves (General Information)

Seb
Champion

Re: Warhammer 40,000 - Grim Wolves Chapter (General Informat

Post by Seb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:50 pm

jus wrote:The grim wolves chapter is really getting fleshed out now. Its great to see! I'm with konrad on the Ulvs, I would be really cool if they could tame them, use them as warbeasts...If you can model one to the dimensions of a rhino chassi and stick a big gun on it, you could use it as a predator tank/demolisher. That would be awesome.
Someday maybe :)
Right now I don't know if I even want to make them tameable, they are just too evil, but it is a very cool thought.

Cheers for the comment!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:12 pm

nice fluff!

If all players put this much thought into their own custom chapters/craftworld/septs then the 40k games table would be a much happier place.

As a biologically educated chap with a passing interest in animal physiology, I have one comment:

The Ulvs may be alien and whatnot, but they still need at least two eyes for binocular vision. This is vital for any predator who needs to judge distance with any degree of accuracy. Without binocular vision theyd be constantly bumping into things that they thought were big prey far away but were actually small prey up close. Of course, thats liable to be lot more inconvenient for the small squeaky prey animal than the Ulv, but still, its a bit of a design flaw. Now, notice I said at least two eyes. If you so desired they Ulv could have 4 eyes - two small, glowing day ones and two big black twinkling-in-the-frozen-starlight night ones. Alternate pairs could close seasonally, so that during the summer months the night-eyes could be squeezed shut (too bright), but in the winter the day eyes would be closed. The chapter symbol could still be a red eye, as drawing a four-eyed thing on a shoulder pad would be a bit of a fiddle.The chapter could have some sort of fetish for night vision goggles or implants or similar. "The ultimate predator can see in the dark. And so can we!" kinda thing.

Just an idea, though - its your chapter, so feel free to do as you like with it :)

ps - I'd recommend you read "Prospero Burns" by Dan Abnett. Its all about pre-heresy space wolves, and so far what Ive read of it is all very viking clansmen, fjords, glaciers, big hairy sea beasties, and axes. Not too dissimilar in feeling to what youre after with the Grim Wolves, I think, although being from Sweden you'd know more about these things than me, I spose. :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:17 pm

me_in_japan wrote:nice fluff!

If all players put this much thought into their own custom chapters/craftworld/septs then the 40k games table would be a much happier place.

As a biologically educated chap with a passing interest in animal physiology, I have one comment:

The Ulvs may be alien and whatnot, but they still need at least two eyes for binocular vision.
Or one eye, and they move their head from side to side. Or they have unusual senses - sonar, for instance, or some sort of electromagnetic sense. Or if you want be really alien, radar or lidar. :)

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:18 am

The Ulvs may be alien and whatnot, but they still need at least two eyes for binocular vision.
Thanks for a very good point, I am not as well schooled in biology as you so
I didnt have an idea.
But I didn't mean to write as if the Ulv didn't have 2 eyes, the Ulv has 2 eyes and binocular vision, but all i want to say is that one of the eyes do not work as good as the other eye under eahc circumstance;

In darkness the main eye being used is the red glowing one with superb nightvision. The eye functioning

optimally in daylight is also used in darkness, it just doesn't work as good the red eye, vice versa in daylight, so the ulv has 2 eyes in any situation. But like Andrew said; what the ulv lacks in eyesight it makes up for with its hearing, a kind of sonar.

I will try to write more specifically about this and update the info.
Will this make up for my biologcal miss?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:24 am

AndrewGPaul wrote:

Or one eye, and they move their head from side to side. Or they have unusual senses - sonar, for instance, or some sort of electromagnetic sense. Or if you want be really alien, radar or lidar. :)
Or something as simple as a really good sense of smell and hearing.
I'm with AGP on this one. Just because normal earth animals have to conform to certain norms doesn't mean that life forms on other planets need to either. Fictional animals certainly dont. Maybe they have some kind of special eye that offers binocular vision through some clever light refraction? That could be why their eyes seem to glow red?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 am

*shrug* :D I just thought 4 eyes would be cool :D

incidentally, I dont know if Seb has read Prospero Burns, but yon chappy from that book has almost exactly the type of eye situation Seb has described for the Ulv...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 am

I have only read warriors of ultramar so far so i dn't know what or who a yon chappy is but if it is the same as what i have thought for my Ulv then i would like to change mine as soon as possible, would anyone mind telling me what it is?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:43 am

Seb wrote:I have only read warriors of ultramar so far so i dn't know what or who a yon chappy is but if it is the same as what i have thought for my Ulv then i would like to change mine as soon as possible, would anyone mind telling me what it is?
Dont worry.
The character in question is given a fake eye that lets him see almost perfectly in the dark though his remaining eye is obviously better in daylight. It doesnt glow red (it's yellow with a black pupil), and it is a gift from the Space Wolves.

And something to ponder until you eventually read Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns:
"There are no Ulvs on Ulvsgård."
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Primarch wrote: Dont worry.
The character in question is given a fake eye that lets him see almost perfectly in the dark though his remaining eye is obviously better in daylight. It doesnt glow red (it's yellow with a black pupil), and it is a gift from the Space Wolves.

And something to ponder until you eventually read Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns:
"There are no Ulvs on Ulvsgård."
Thanks for the info on the book.

But i don't understand your comment on pondering my fiction, would you mind elaborating on that?
Is there some kind of official fiction in the book that prevents me from using mine?
I would really like to read Prospero Burns, but time is very limited and don't think I will be able to very soon.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Seb wrote:But i don't understand your comment on pondering my fiction, would you mind elaborating on that?
Is there some kind of official fiction in the book that prevents me from using mine?
I would really like to read Prospero Burns, but time is very limited and don't think I will be able to very soon.
No, there is no official info on your fiction/chapter, it's all yours.

There is a phrase mentioned several times regarding the Space Wolves and their homeworld Fenris.
"There are no wolves on Fenris."
This is said in spite of the fact that there are indeed wolves on Fenris.

Dont worry about it, it'll all become clear in time. 8-)

Return to “Fiction”