A Nurgle story (WIP)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

A Nurgle story (WIP)

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 pm

At Konrad's suggestion, I'm having a shotty at some Nurgle related fiction. As per my usual writing, itll probably witter on endlessly to no great point, but hey ho, I figure I may as well give it a try. Please bear in mind that I have never written any fiction before, and that I have never considered myself much of a writer. If that doesnt put you off, then read on :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: A Nurgle story (WIP)

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Part 1: In which some characters are introduced, and nothing especially nurgly happens.

“Eyes front and centre!” barked Sgt. Pike. “You there!” he indicated the soldier standing third in line with his truncheon, jabbing it sharply in his direction. “What do you think you’re doing? Call that standing to attention? I’ve seen orks with straighter backs. The commissar sees you slouching like that he’ll have you on penal duty faster than you can beg the emperor for His forgiveness.” As he berated the trooper he walked slowly towards him, till their faces were almost touching. “And you wouldn’t want to upset the commissar now, would you, private?” He breathed, menacingly.

“Sir, no sir!” replied the unfortunate subject of Pike’s ire.

“No, you would not. You can join Nelson on the track.” ordered the sergeant with a malefic glint in his eye. The trooper glanced across the training field towards his squad mate – already several laps into his punishment for an earlier infraction. “Oh yes, miladdo. Being a sharp shooter with that long-las of yours doesn’t mean you can just slouch your way around the parade ground. Not in Sergeant Pike’s squad, it doesn’t. 50 laps, double time - get to it!” shouted the sergeant. The trooper sighed under his breath, shouldered his pack, then peeled off from his unit and commenced jogging round the track.

“Everyone else – inspection is tomorrow morning at oh-eight hundred. Diiiiiiiismissed!" The sergeant and his squad of recruits split up and moved off towards the relative warmth of the shower block and mess hall. As they did so, the darkening sky began to rain softly. The trooper, continuing his laps of the track, glanced briefly in their direction.

“Bastard…” he muttered, then lowered his head against the rain and kept running.

***************************************************************************************************

“Mate, you can’t let him get to you. He’s a complete feth-head and everyone knows it.”

The advice, as it often did, came from Private Nelson. Nelson was the squad’s melta-gun operator, and was of the opinion that if he was put in charge of the fifteenth regiment of Petrefax Mundi’s Imperial Guard regiment then the universe would be a significantly better place to be. This was a sentiment not shared by the regiment’s discipline officers, which resulted in Nelson being a frequent visitor to the punishment yard. Most of the squad reckoned he would have long since been sent to a penal regiment, were it not for his undeniable talent with his chosen weapon. Regardless, his attitude had ensured that he never made any kind of promotion, despite his years of service.

“Yeah, I know – I just wish he would leave off me for a bit. Pick on somebody else for a change, you know?”

The two soldiers were in the showers, washing away the grime of the day’s training. Both of them were exhausted after their punishment, as well as none too pleased with the cruel quirk of fate that had landed them with Pike as squad sergeant.

“Best get a move on, deadeye,” Nelson made a pistol-shooting gesture with his right hand. “The mess hall closes in ten minutes. You don’t want to miss your grub.” He turned off his shower and started towelling himself down.

“Yeah. Sure. You go on ahead – I’ll catch up” replied his friend with a weary smile. “Maybe they’ll have something worth eating today.” He added, without much hope.

Nelson sarcastic reply was cut off by a loud ringing from the klaxon mounted high on the wall. The two soldiers looked up in surprise. “Shit! That’s the muster siren. What the feth are they doing ringing that now?”

A voice boomed out from the tannoy. “All units to assemble on the parade ground in fifteen minutes. This is not a drill. Repeat. This is not a drill.”

“Emperor’s teeth!” exclaimed Nelson. “We’re gonna be bloody well deployed! About fething time! Get your stuff, man! We gotta go.” He almost ran to the locker room and began hurriedly pulling on his uniform, ignoring the fact that he was still wet from the shower. His friend moved to join him, leaving his shower running in his shock at the implications of the klaxon’s blare.

“Wonder where we’re gonna be sent.” He asked wide eyed as he tucked in his shirt.

“Does it matter?” replied Nelson. “Anywhere has gotta be more interesting than this thrice-accursed shithole of a planet. Besides, ain’t you excited to be finally doing your job? I remember my first mission. Sure, I nearly pissed myself any number of times, but damn it was never boring. Not like this place.” His gesture took in the surrounding grey-tiled room and grubby benches.

“Yeah, sure. I suppose I’m just nervous. First time, and all.”

“Ah, don’t worry, mate. You know what they say – your first time is never as big a deal as you expect it to be.” quipped Nelson. “Come on – we gotta hussle.” He closed his locker. “Dammit.” he grumbled, as a thought struck him. “We aint gonna have time to eat dinner.”

The two men grabbed their packs and headed out of the locker room. Behind them, the water from the forgotten shower pooled on the floor and ran slowly down through the rusty drain hole.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Seems to be off to a good start there. I'm eagerly awaiting the next (and hopefully more Nurgle-ee) installment.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 pm

Good work mate. I like it so far. It's a lot better than some Black Library stuff. It's got a Sharpe edge to it too.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 pm

This is great, I got some Starship Troopers flashbacks reading this, the first movie of course..
Anyway looking forward to the next part!

Return to “Fiction”