Prim and the Ruckster Discuss Vindicators

This forum is for the mods to drop any off topic arguments that people (especially Primarch and Badruck) get into. Seperate the posts and dump them here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Prim and the Ruckster Discuss Vindicators

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:38 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:I will put it this way... I would not take a Vindicator in any other codex because it is too slow... hell it can move 18 if it needs to contest an objective..all good stuff.. and as Prime says it is not a game breaker... just an army breaker... hehehe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Whereas I would take a Vindicator in EVERY dex (I have one each for Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Raven Guard). They are awesome in everyway.
Want to kill horde infantry? Check
Want to kill heavy infantry? Check
Want to cause instant death to most things? Check
Want to pop Land Raiders open? Check
Want to move through cover better than anything else in the game? Check
Want to do all this and still be dirt cheap? Check check check.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

frans
Warrior

Re: The new Blood Angles 'Dex

Post by frans » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:50 pm

I will put it this way... If I meet someone in a tournament with a vindicator I will be happy. Maybe one exception demonic possession. Any glance or pen will render it useless the next turn.

They have the same problem as the baal with flamestorm. If you get first turn scoutmove get up close and personal and then kill 5 marines realy good. Then a melta to the front or missile to the side.

I look forward to playing with you! I need to get that competitive thinking out of my head.

Fast rhinos awesome, required to buy it on all rhino chassi not that great anymore.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Primarch wrote:
Admiral-Badruck wrote:I will put it this way... I would not take a Vindicator in any other codex because it is too slow... hell it can move 18 if it needs to contest an objective..all good stuff.. and as Prime says it is not a game breaker... just an army breaker... hehehe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Whereas I would take a Vindicator in EVERY dex (I have one each for Space Wolves, Blood Angels and Raven Guard). They are awesome in everyway.
Want to kill horde infantry? Check
Want to kill heavy infantry? Check
Want to cause instant death to most things? Check
Want to pop Land Raiders open? Check
Want to move through cover better than anything else in the game? Check
Want to do all this and still be dirt cheap? Check check check.
one word "RANGE" not enough... one more word.. Hammer Head... kills you dead before you get even half way to range...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:one word "RANGE" not enough... one more word.. Hammer Head... kills you dead before you get even half way to range...
Starting distance between deployment zones = 24" max.
Range of gun 24" plus 6" move (12 for BA).
Seems fine to me, your Tau must be using that new math. I guess its hard to count when you dont have the right number of fingers.
frans wrote:Any glance or pen will render it useless the next turn.
This is generally true of most tanks though. Hammerheads, Fire Prisms, Leman Russ etc are all in the same boat. Shaken, Stunned or Weapon Destroyed results are the bane of tanks with only 1 main gun. Land Raiders and Predators with multiple guns dont fare too badly on the damage chart. Unlike other vehicles, you can happily park a vindicator anywhere on the table hidden in terrain. You get a cover save and dont need to worry at all about dangerous terrain tests.
Vindicators are cheap, powerful and a fire magnet, which can be used to your advantage.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:15 pm

I do not like to see one on the other side of the table but they are not that great. walk on with my broad sides and BAM your dead... or marines drop pod nest to you Bang your dead... that is what 135 points dead in one turn... if it is more than 135 then I am really happy you are taking one...
MIJ
MIJ

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:29 am

If only it were that easy Madmiral. Plonking a Vindi in cover gives it a 4+ Cover save.That, and against Team Edward, it's easy to forget it's there. There's usually a lot of game winning nutters in Rhinos or descending like Angels that are usually more of a priority.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:31 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote:I do not like to see one on the other side of the table but they are not that great. walk on with my broad sides and BAM your dead... or marines drop pod nest to you Bang your dead... that is what 135 points dead in one turn... if it is more than 135 then I am really happy you are taking one...
Having used them a lot recently, I have killed 250 point Land Raiders with them in one shot. So thats a fair trade off really. They can one shot a squad of terminators, mega nobs or wraith guard off the table and more than make their points back.

Oh, and 135 (or 125 for none BA) isn't that expensive a model to lose. My Predators come in more expensive than that.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:43 am

Prim's right (again)- 125 pts for a tank is quite reasonable. Most eldar gunships come in at 150 or more (assuming HF, which you really should assume.)

As for Vindis specifically, again, I'm with Prim - big blast, huge strength, can shoot from cover. What's not to like? 24" range is short compared to a hammerhead, sure, but when is a hammerhead ever 60" away? When is anything ever that far away?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:30 am

only in apocalypse.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 am

the hammer head just has to be 25 inches away at the end of the Vindys movement phase... to be safe... the same is not true of the vindicator
MIJ
MIJ

Return to “The Prim/Ruckster Rant Depository”