New from GW - Space Hulk!

For the discussion of anything related to Games Workshops games. e.g. Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Blood Bowl, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

New from GW - Space Hulk!

Post by Primarch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:03 am

Remember when GW released a new version of Space Hulk a few years ago as a limited special edition?
Well, it looks like GW is re-releasing Space Hulk as a limited special edition. Which means if you didn't rush out and buy it last time, you can rush out and buy it now. 16,000 yen for the set. (Which I think is the same as the last time).
If you did buy the last one thinking that it was a collectors item. Sorry, looks like GW needs the cash.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-JP/Space-Hulk
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Re: New from GW - Space Hulk!

Post by Konrad » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:41 am

Got all the "limited edition" figures from the Madmiral. Still have my 1st edition board. Good enough for me.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:44 am

I believe this version lets you use space puppies and smurfs, too. Same BA minis, mind you. There may also be a few extra counters in this version, presumably so they can say "ahah but that limited one we released a few years ago isnt the same as this one because this one has some counters so that one is still limited and so's this one. honest." :?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:48 am

Hmm. It's certainly a decent game with lovely production values. Since I didn't pick one up last time, part of me thinks it would be cool to actually own it, but with so many competing games these days I don't think I can justify the not inconsiderable outlay and precious cupboard space. Plus, I have it on ipad in a super convenient one player incarnation..and even then, only play it once in a blue moon.

I wish they'd dust off some of the other non-Warhammer games once again and let them loose. I'd be keen if Mordheim, Necromunda, Bloodbowl, Warhammer Quest and other more obscure games got a box treatment, not likely to happen though.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:39 pm

Man, that is low.
I refuse to give in to hate.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:55 pm

Four new missions including a couple of new rules - boarding torpedoes, a lift between sections and a room exposed to space. If you bought the last one, then no, it's probably not worth buying this one. I'm not sure how that's a flaw, but according to the internet it is.

The extra mission pack are iPad-only; one for Dark Angels, Ultramarines and Space Wolves. The names of the packs are old 1st edition scenarios, but given that it mentions rules for things like halberds, plasma cannon, cyclone missile launchers and frost weapons (none of which ever appeared in previous editions), it looks like they've tweaked things there. There's also a new mission in this week's White Dwarf, too. Oh, and a painting guide using the new paints. That'll come in handy for me, anyway.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:38 pm

I actually reckon this is a good thing, in its own way. It's a good game! It has good miniatures and good production values*. It's good that people can buy it. And it's especially good that people will realize it's not really a limited edition in any meaningful sense, and there will be fewer eBay scalpers and the like.

*Although, to be fair, something like Descent has similarly good bits quality and lots more miniatures at half the price, so.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:22 am

I'm in agreement with AGP and ToD. Yes it is silly that they describe it as a limited edition, but if people want it, it is good GW sell it. Hopefully the same reasoning can prevail with other things we want them to make. Anyway, if people dish out for special editions, I can't fault GW on that reasoning too. Of course I won't be buying a limited ed. SH.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:46 am

Price-wise it compares to Zombicide and Sails of Glory. Purely looking at the miniatures, Space Hulk comes out on top there - the models are in proper hard styrene unlike the little models in Zombicide, and Sails of Glory only contains four ships. The quality of the cardstock is higher, too.

FFG's medium boardgames - Descent 2nd edition, Chaos In The Old World, Arkham Horror, etc - seem to go for £50 here, but they tend to have mostly card components. Descent has a lot of minis, but I wouldn't say they're up to the quality of proper styrene wargaming miniatures. They're good, but only by traditional board games standards.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:40 am

My second edition limited edition Space Hulk is still in the shrink wrap. I probably won't buy third.
Or perhaps a new mad collection of unopened space hulks is just the thing to keep me well and truly locked in the GW dungeons. ;)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Other GW Games - 他のゲームズワークショップのゲーム”