Hopeful GW news for once?

For the discussion of anything related to Games Workshops games. e.g. Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Blood Bowl, etc.
Lovejoy
Legend

Hopeful GW news for once?

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:07 am

So, I just read this..
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/11/ ... turns.html
..thoughts, etc?
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Hopeful GW news for once?

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:41 am

Completely disinterested.

Either
a) it's a fake
or
b) Blood bowl, battle fleet gothic et al already have a thriving community, and there are a ton of companies out there making minis for them. We have the rules, we have the minis. The only effect that GW getting involved will have is to split the community into "new rulesers" and "old rulesers".

Best we just ignore them and hope they go away.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:23 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Completely disinterested.

Either
a) it's a fake
or
b) Blood bowl, battle fleet gothic et al already have a thriving community, and there are a ton of companies out there making minis for them. We have the rules, we have the minis. The only effect that GW getting involved will have is to split the community into "new rulesers" and "old rulesers".

Best we just ignore them and hope they go away.
Your b) isn't quite right. There's a thriving market for Epic minis, and plenty of people on facebook paying top dollar for second hand minis. That suggests to me that there's a large demand for Epic minis, not just 6mm sci fi that might, if you squint a bit, sort of look kinda like Orks or whatever. ame for BFG, which is even less well catered for, since no-one does knockoffs for that.

The Epic community is already split - there's NetEpic and at least two streams of development for Epic Armageddon. :)

Plus, if it's true, that might - might - mean we get things like Epic versions of the Horus Heresy vehicles, Wraithknights, Riptides and whatnot. Plus new Blood Bowl teams that look like the ones shown in the computer game and FFG's Blood Bowl Team Manager, rather than like 20-year-old 4th edition Warhammer armies.

At the very least, it's neutral. I can't see how it can be bad news. :) I currently have five Necromunda gangs, five Blood Bowl teams, three Battlefleet Gothic fleets, six Epic armies, a Warmaster army and three Mordheim warbands, so I don't think I need any more, but new minis are always worth at least looking at.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:34 pm

I feel too, at worst our reactions can be neutral. Can't see this as a bad thing, and I'm quite pleased that Lotr will get continued support, as I've been collecting it recently as I want to game it in future (even if I'm the sole provider of the minis).
Prices for any reissued or revamped stuff are all important. But the possibility of ressurected Warhammer Quest, Mordheim, Necromunda..and the potential gamers that could bring to the community - can't be too bad, surely?
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:21 pm

When I read this I felt nothing but indifference to be honest.

I find Dredd a much more enjoyable sci fi skirmish than Necromunda.
Never really enjoyed the Mordheim rules that much.
BFG could be worth a look.
Haven't played BloodBowl in years.

I don't think this is bad news. For me personally it's really just no news.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I read about this at Dakka and my 1st thought was too late GW too little and probably shafted in one years time. So whatever rocks your boat GW but don't count with me for this.

M.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:53 pm

My understanding is that it's very early stages - they're forming a group to look at putting money into SG. Shrug - worst case they release board-gamey stuff like the 30K thing that are basically sources for models, best-case they actually revamp some old crusy rules and get people playing these games again.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 am

I'm largely indifferent to this at the moment. After SG collapsed, a lot of other games came along to fill the void, many of them better than what GW had done before. Some of the SG games had some pretty large flaws to be honest.
As with everything GW does, pricing will be my sole concern as and when they release something new.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:28 am

On the other hand, this picture is a thing.
yay.jpg
yay.jpg (33.8 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Why yes, that does appear to be an Epic-scale Warlord from Forgeworld. Which, sure, I have three Warlords, but I would probably give them some money for that.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:13 am

Primarch wrote:I'm largely indifferent to this at the moment. After SG collapsed, a lot of other games came along to fill the void, many of them better than what GW had done before. Some of the SG games had some pretty large flaws to be honest.
As with everything GW does, pricing will be my sole concern as and when they release something new.
That's about where I'm at. Those old games have actually only gotten better once the fans just started hashing out community editions and doing it themselves anyways. I'd be afraid of a new Mordheim or Necromunda. " If a Goliath player strikes a builder pose and shouts, "We are here to pump..(clap) you up!" before rolling a Strength test, the dice may be re-rolled."

I just realized I am really showing my age with that lame joke.......

New toys are always welcome, but with GW pricing what it is these days, I'll most likely continue slapping together tracks out of old Tamiya kits and bitz.

I wonder what the sinister motive really is? You know, it's GW. There must be a sinister plot to enrage their customers in there somewhere.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Other GW Games - 他のゲームズワークショップのゲーム”