Shadow Wars: Armagedon

For the discussion of anything related to Games Workshops games. e.g. Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Blood Bowl, etc.
Konrad
Wargod

Shadow Wars: Armagedon

Post by Konrad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Hey! Looks like a Necro/2nd ed mash up. I'm certainly not going to spring 130 bucks for more Orks and Muh-reens and some so-so terrain, but most interested to see if the rules capture that Necro vibe.
lhttp://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/ ... icing.html
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

jehan-reznor
Champion

Re: Shadow Wars: Armagedon

Post by jehan-reznor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:47 am

Yea i hope there will be a good review, will be interested in the rules, not a fan of the ork vs scout choice (unless it were the original scouts, i like those).

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:18 am

I'm kinda interested in this. Sure, initial outlay will be 130usd, but that's pretty much going to be it. We all have oodles of minis we can use/convert/scratch build, so that won't be an issue. Terrain wise I actually rather like it - if both players had this box that'd be two sets of terrain, and it's not like we don't already have appropriately industrial bits to fill out a table. I reckon this could be a goer.

Also, an opportunity to use wyches/harlies in this kind of environment is really rather tempting...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:21 am

A thought: If this game has gang progression in the style of necromunda, then the first company to make squads of applicable minis with snap-fit weapon arms with different gear is going to make a killing.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:38 am

me_in_japan wrote:A thought: If this game has gang progression in the style of necromunda, then the first company to make squads of applicable minis with snap-fit weapon arms with different gear is going to make a killing.
That is pretty funny.
From the bits of the rules I've seen it does look pretty Necromunda-y. 50 pts for a basic mook, 60 for a heavy. Looks like there is a territory mechanic of some sort. I'm wondering if they will try and steamline/simplify it. If they can re-create that "Oooh! Master crafted boltgun! Noooo! Captured!" vibe, I will be looking forward to giving it a try. The hard-core Necromundas are a bit disappointed that it's not actually Necromunda, but I can see the reasoning from a marketing perspective. If it were actual Necro with Dark Vengeance Cultist-class ganger figures I would be going a little dance for joy.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:50 am

Here is a roster sheet. Looks like there will be gaining skills anyways. No mention of injuries, but there is a "Miss Next Mission" box. That's a bit disappointing. What I took to be territory is "Promethium Caches" I guess Promethium is the local currency in Armageddon.
http://s16.photobucket.com/user/timdps/ ... z.jpg.html
Cervantes, Don Quixote

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 am

The original Necromunda roster sheet didn't have a box for injuries either - they just went in the same box as for equipment and skills. What you're seeing is a quick demo roter sheet, so I'm not going to infer too much about the mechanics from that.

No XP box, though; just three checkboxes for missions completed, so that looks like a change.

All the scenery looks compatible with the existing plastic 40k city ruins, Promethium Relay Pipes, Haemotrope Reactor and Void Shield Generator. I'm looking forward to this. :)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:39 am

Righty: I'm now officially interested in this game. Which is a shame, as it sold out pretty much worldwide in about ten minutes. Presumably GW will do a re-release in the near future (they'd be daft not to) but for now we shall have to make do with our own terrain and minis we had already.

Which is, I think, what we were mostly going to do anyway... :?

Anyway, on the plus side, GW have put up rules for everything except SM and ork warbands on their site here: https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... ms_ENG.pdf and it looks interesting. The full rulebook will hopefully be available separately (they're certainly releasing a bunch of separate terrain kits this/next month), and failing that, there's always...other methods. (Hey, I'd probably buy it if they'd sell it to me, but in the interim...)

So, who's interested in playing some Newcromunda some time soon?

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:44 am

Yeah I'd buy the rules of they come out seperately.

Gameplay demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5wTHZuk9mQ
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:20 pm

This is actually pretty appealing, after a quick swipe through the pdf. A good way to get some small games in the setting, with a whole of cool looking options to choose from. Surprised to be saying that of a recent GW effort but good on them.
I've no use for the boxed set even if it's released, the rules are a different bag of rabbits though - hopefully there'll be book. I'll keep an eye on this.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Other GW Games - 他のゲームズワークショップのゲーム”