GW do it right

For the discussion of anything related to Games Workshops games. e.g. Necromunda, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic, Blood Bowl, etc.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: GW do it right

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:29 am

And, while there are... issues with the slayer faction, redesigning the other dwarf faction as steampunk sky pirates has turned out pretty well. They're not really my cuppa, but they're distinct and lots of people love them. I think that if nuGW decided to devote the energy to a Squat reboot chances are good they'd hit it out of the park (while simultaneously getting lots of salt for not just redoing greasy bikers and beachball exo-armor, of course). But it would probably need to be a ground-up redesign.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 pm

The Other Dave wrote:And, while there are... issues with the slayer faction, redesigning the other dwarf faction as steampunk sky pirates has turned out pretty well. They're not really my cuppa, but they're distinct and lots of people love them. I think that if nuGW decided to devote the energy to a Squat reboot chances are good they'd hit it out of the park (while simultaneously getting lots of salt for not just redoing greasy bikers and beachball exo-armor, of course). But it would probably need to be a ground-up redesign.
If the Bounty Hunter fig is any indication the new Squats won't be too far a departure. And I can't imagine I am saying this, but I can't see myself getting any new ones, no matter how cool. I just don't have the time and energy for new 40K armies. I'm having too much fun converting dinosaurs and sculpting my own toys.
That silly, dorky, clock video was sort of funny. I think it's a good sign of the direction GW is going. Under that Kirby guy, they like forgot that they were a game company and games are like....fun.....? These are toys for chrissake, don't be so serious.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:12 am

So after GW ignored fans until somebody else covered the market needs are they trying to steal Mantic's thunder now? Forgefathers might not be the best figures around but at half the probable price, and with real gems among the range, it will be a big hurdle for GW to jump if they want to bring back squats to the game.

M.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:02 am

I don't think anyone's under the impression that Squats will be coming to 40K as a full army any time soon, if ever - Necromunda hired guns are clearly just a way for them to have some fun sculpting, while simultaneously making callbacks to RT-era days and making fans like us go "huh, I remember those guys, cool". I think this tangent is mostly us agreeing with each other about the myriad of reasons why GW won't be making a full army.
Konrad wrote:Under that Kirby guy, they like forgot that they were a game company
Literally! Kirby made "we're not a games company, we're a miniatures company" official company policy.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Konrad wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:And, while there are... issues with the slayer faction, redesigning the other dwarf faction as steampunk sky pirates has turned out pretty well. They're not really my cuppa, but they're distinct and lots of people love them. I think that if nuGW decided to devote the energy to a Squat reboot chances are good they'd hit it out of the park (while simultaneously getting lots of salt for not just redoing greasy bikers and beachball exo-armor, of course). But it would probably need to be a ground-up redesign.
If the Bounty Hunter fig is any indication the new Squats won't be too far a departure. And I can't imagine I am saying this, but I can't see myself getting any new ones, no matter how cool. I just don't have the time and energy for new 40K armies. I'm having too much fun converting dinosaurs and sculpting my own toys.
That silly, dorky, clock video was sort of funny. I think it's a good sign of the direction GW is going. Under that Kirby guy, they like forgot that they were a game company and games are like....fun.....? These are toys for chrissake, don't be so serious.

This guy is a bounty hunter in the underhive. I wouldn't take the design of this miniature as any clue to what a Squat army might look like any more than the Escher gangers tell you what a new Imperial Guard army will look like. :)

Return to “Other GW Games - 他のゲームズワークショップのゲーム”