suggestion: RPGaming via the internet

jus

suggestion: RPGaming via the internet

Post by jus » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:29 pm

What with all the work/family time constraints, and Tsu is just waaay too far for me, how about doing some RPing over the internet, in the comforts of your very own home? Like a skype conference call with head sets, or a online chat room thing with some programs like vassal and some such would take care of dice rolls. Just a suggestion.

Does any gaming group here do this already?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: suggestion: RPGaming via the internet

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Yes, and I have been for over 8 months.

Skype isnt bad, but everything takes a lot longer than usual since you have to type it. Dice rolling can be done using 3rd party systems. I use: http://www.catchyourhare.com/diceroller/
Even then, it can be tough to find time when everyone can play together. I usually manage 1 hour a week, but I probably miss 1 week a month on average.

The pros of online play are obviously the fact that you can play any time regardless of each player's location. The cons of online play are the fact that you have to type everything and sometimes it can get a bit confusing when you have lots of things happening at once.

Still, its not bad if you dont have a regular gaming group.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:41 am

oh cool, when is the next time you are all doing this?
everything takes a lot longer than usual since you have to type it
If you use microphones or headsets and or webcams (some laptops may have all of these built in) you could conference call on skype and talk (like a vox caster :lol: ) making it alot easier I think.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:11 am

jus wrote:If you use microphones or headsets and or webcams (some laptops may have all of these built in) you could conference call on skype and talk (like a vox caster :lol: ) making it alot easier I think.
I decided against that since my computer is in my bedroom and my wife goes to bed early on the days when we play.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:20 pm

I am up for RPGs over skype with Microphones and head sets... I reckon it is the only way to do it with out heaps of typing...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

jus

Post by jus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:54 am

hey nice, ok, I've always wanted to try out one of the warhammer rpgs but have never really had a chance. we should totally try it. Whats your skype details? (p.m) Of course we need to enlist the aid of some of the rp veterans out there who might be keen to do a funky online voice chat rpg.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Justin I'm really trying to get the numbers up for the rpg event in March so this kind of thread is really unhelpful.
How is Tsu 'wayyyy' too far for you? It's 50 minutes on the Tokyu or one hour on the kyukou if you use kintetsu. Don't be lame.

I could easily say Nagoya is 'wayyyy' too far for me to game but that would be a fat lie as I commuted to Nagoya from Tsu on a daily basis last year for an entire year for work.

Online rpg is fun but it is not a patch on the real thing, the communication and social aspect of the game is half the fun. Otherwise you will just be a guy in his pants on his day off in front of a screen again.

Get your ass down to Tsu in March we have 2 Warhammer systems running. Dark Heresy and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

I hope you can join you will be most welcome.

The good news is the event will be held at tsu station so no extra travel involved. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:05 pm

ashmie wrote:Justin I'm really trying to get the numbers up for the rpg event in March so this kind of thread is really unhelpful.
How is Tsu 'wayyyy' too far for you? It's 50 minutes on the Tokyu or one hour on the kyukou if you use kintetsu. Don't be lame.
I think he means for the semi-regular RPG nights you run in Tsu.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Fair enough, no lives lost I hope.

Rant over.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

jus

Post by jus » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:27 pm

no lives lost I hope.
aaargh, my lives...

yeah what prime said. I'm definitely going to the tsu fest in march, sign me up baby.
Tsu 'wayyyy' too far
...for your weekly rpg sessions, that start at sixish. Were I to leave work , go home, leave for Tsu (from Tsushima city, which is not exactly Nagoya) and get there at 8, and then have to leave straight away in order to make the train back :lol:

So, going down for those sessions are simply no-go. Which really sucks, hence this topic. ....so, do you have a webcam? :lol:

Return to “RPGs and Skype”