Do you like GW Paints? Yes? Sorry.....

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Do you like GW Paints? Yes? Sorry.....

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

This cropped up on Warseer:
GW paints to be discontinued in march.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently they are doing a "drastic refurbishment" to the range, with many colours changing or vanishing.
Till march, paints can be ordered in singles by retailers, so we can run down our stock.
In the same thread the following info was posted:
Apart from new colours and old ones being removed, I heard that there will be happening something different. The whole thing was advertised as something 'great', 'important', 'revolutionary' etc. I think they will do something more than 'only' renew the line. In addition, as I understand it, in march there will be more informations about this, the actual thing will happen later.
To which one bright spark replied:
So they'll now sell paints with air bubbles?
Getting the response:
But not to worry, shortly after they will release a liquid paint stuff to help fill in the missing colour!
Its funny because it could actually happen. :D :D :D
Sucks though, because I like GW paints. I hope they dont change too much about them.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Do you like GW Paints? Yes? Sorry.....

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 am

To be optimistic, the last two big innovations in the GW paint line (foundation paints and the new washes) were really quite good.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:17 am

true, true, but to be pessimistic, the last big innovation GW had was finecast... :shock:

As long as they dont get rid of hawk turquiose or devlan mus (in fact all their washes are pretty useful). Most everything else you can get from PP or vallejo, altho obviously its nice if you dont have to shop around.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 am

I would like it if they would bring back the inks or even just the lids that stay open. If they do make a new line such as washes or foundations it will be very cool.
As they said it will be new and revolutionary I am guessing it will either be paints for an airbrush or a dip since both of those are useful and popular and GW dont make them yet.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Talk about revolutionary, paints designed for airbrushing bet no other company thought about that before :shock:.

M.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:12 am

Whatever the change, you can be sure it will come in smaller pots and cost more.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 am

I'd be surprised if it was airbrush paints. Official GW hobby products seem aimed at keeping things simple for beginners. They offer everything you need to just pick up the hobby under one brand, but when it comes to airbrushes and other specialized tools, I suspect it's mostly experienced or adventuresome hobbyists who buy them. It would mean a shift in GW's hobby tool focus if they began targeting that segment.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:52 am

Konrad wrote:Whatever the change, you can be sure it will come in smaller pots and cost more.
Indeed, or they may only be sold in packs, so if you want two colours in particular, you have to buy two packs of six.

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 am

I can raise that :D

They´ll come in closed packs, random colors with washes (the best in GW´s stock IMHO) as a rare choice 1 every 10 packs.

M.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:15 am

Tenorikuma wrote:I'd be surprised if it was airbrush paints. Official GW hobby products seem aimed at keeping things simple for beginners. They offer everything you need to just pick up the hobby under one brand, but when it comes to airbrushes and other specialized tools, I suspect it's mostly experienced or adventuresome hobbyists who buy them. It would mean a shift in GW's hobby tool focus if they began targeting that segment.
GW sold their own airbrush a while back. I am not certain if they still make it.

Return to “Rumours”