Apoc 2, Marines and Nids - Rumours

Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Re: Apoc 2, Marines and Nids - Rumours

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 am

me_in_japan wrote:Y'know what GW should do (but of course never will)?

License out a xenos faction. Put it out for tender. Come up with a design brief once every couple of years, and have other up-and-coming sculptors/ game development companies compete to win the contract. Thereafter said company gets to sculpt and produce all minis related to said faction for the next 2 years. (Paying a percentage to GW, of course)

How would this help GW? Well, ok, aside from massive kudos it wouldn't.

How would it help the gamer? New ideas, new sculpts, new style. Expansion of the 40k universe and background.

How would it help the small company? Maseeeeeve sales and exposure.

So, everyone's a winner. Except GW, who would hardly lose out. But meh, it's never gonna happen. I get that. No financial incentive. Just thinking out loud :)
@mij Couldn't agree more. And I knew something was wrong when I buy something now and it will sit on my work desk for days before I even open it. I remember tearing packages open on the bus to get a look at them. Not anymore. And it's not that my enthusiasm has decreased for w40k, it's the lack of cool models coming out.

@ prim. Lol. About the dialogue and the prices. And look at those two pics, exactly! Coincidentally I was painting astorath yesterday and I keep thinking what a cool model it is.

I am going to pay out for one of the new masters and convert him with green grenade like jars in him. Introducing the newest adition to my army, "The Master of Relish!"
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:23 am

me_in_japan wrote:License out a xenos faction. Put it out for tender. Come up with a design brief once every couple of years, and have other up-and-coming sculptors/ game development companies compete to win the contract. Thereafter said company gets to sculpt and produce all minis related to said faction for the next 2 years. (Paying a percentage to GW, of course)
There is absolutely nothing* stopping you from doing that yourself. Find some minis you like, write up rules, background and whatnot, get some feedback, do some playtesting and hey presto you have a cool new set of toys to play with.**

*Except for a lack of time, motivation and energy.

**Opponent's consent of course. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am

Oh, I know that, fo sho. It's not that I desperately want to use a new xenos faction, I just think GW need to widen their creative options a bit. Keep things interesting, draw in more people, like.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Or just find the minis you like and then use whichever codex you think suits them. That'd be faster than writing a new codex and would do away with most problems an opponent might have.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm

There are so many great infinity models, you could make up a new codex from them. I use some as assassins in my grey knight army. But I've been eye balling some of there sort of lizardmen cyborgs as a new army to make up. Perhaps a Slann army!
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I would very much like to include a small Exodite contingent in my Corsair army, as it would serve the twin purpose of fulfilling my dream of actually using exodites, and also allow me to legally field all 4 eldar factions on the table at the same time (like this: primary detachment: corsairs. 1 unit of elites is from the craftworlder's codex. 1 unit of Kabalites (also from the corsair's Elites section) and 1 allied detachment of exodites.)

In order to keep rules jiggery pokery to an absolute minimum I was strongly inclined to go with the following:

1 Exodite lord on a big chompy lizard. Best Codex Eldar analogue: Wraithlord with wraith sword. It's a monstrous creature. It's a CC nasty, and it can breathe fire. Badabing. Perfect match. The high T can be easily explained away by a bit of wiffle about force fields n stuff, plus a bit of natural Cold One endurance. The force fields can be modeled on, if it bothers people :) The only change needed would be to change from Heavy Support to HQ.

5 Exodite warriors. Best Codex Eldar analogue: Shining Spear aspect warriors. The only change needed would be to change unit type from Jetbike to Beast, and slot from Elite to Troop (to maintain strict allies rules). Other than that, it's all good. Spears, reasonable stats for a highly trained warrior on a honking great lizard, reasonable armour, too.

Points values for both the above unit would come straight out of codex eldar. No changes or imagination required.

Would folks be ok with me running a small Exodite contingent of this nature? I haven't built em yet, but I have all the parts ready to go...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:02 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I would very much like to include a small Exodite contingent in my Corsair army, as it would serve the twin purpose of fulfilling my dream of actually using exodites, and also allow me to legally field all 4 eldar factions on the table at the same time (like this: primary detachment: corsairs. 1 unit of elites is from the craftworlder's codex. 1 unit of Kabalites (also from the corsair's Elites section) and 1 allied detachment of exodites.)

In order to keep rules jiggery pokery to an absolute minimum I was strongly inclined to go with the following:

1 Exodite lord on a big chompy lizard. Best Codex Eldar analogue: Wraithlord with wraith sword. It's a monstrous creature. It's a CC nasty, and it can breathe fire. Badabing. Perfect match. The high T can be easily explained away by a bit of wiffle about force fields n stuff, plus a bit of natural Cold One endurance. The force fields can be modeled on, if it bothers people :) The only change needed would be to change from Heavy Support to HQ.

5 Exodite warriors. Best Codex Eldar analogue: Shining Spear aspect warriors. The only change needed would be to change unit type from Jetbike to Beast, and slot from Elite to Troop (to maintain strict allies rules). Other than that, it's all good. Spears, reasonable stats for a highly trained warrior on a honking great lizard, reasonable armour, too.

Points values for both the above unit would come straight out of codex eldar. No changes or imagination required.

Would folks be ok with me running a small Exodite contingent of this nature? I haven't built em yet, but I have all the parts ready to go...

Wouldnt have any problem with that at all mate.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:09 pm

I think anything you convert and paint is going to be a okay with anyone, at least if I somehow was across from them I'd be in more of the mood of admiring them and enjoy the added color and story to the battlefield. Doublely so because you chose them out of the same codex so no complications with rules.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Isn't the FW Wraith-doodad an HQ choice? Psychic Exodite Lord perhaps?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Nice idea, but it's a hugely over priced HQ unit that requires you to take another HQ unit AND a unit of wraith guard to allow its use. That, and it carries a D-cannon. Wraithlord is simpler and more thematically appropriate, I feel.

Return to “Rumours”