Apoc 2, Marines and Nids - Rumours

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Re: Apoc 2, Marines and Nids - Rumours

Post by AndrewGPaul » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:22 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Y'know what GW should do?

How would this help GW? Well, ok, aside from massive kudos it wouldn't.

Well done. Just as well you're not a businessman. :D

While what's good for GW isn't necessarily "good for 40k" (whatever that means), if something is bad for GW, then it will be bad for 40k too.

As for inventing new factions, I don't see what the issue is. There's enough of you there, you all seem like reasonable adults; what's stopping you, other than the mental effort required, from inventing new units or armies? I'd rather play against someone's homebrewed Exodite Eldar army with units they'd invented, than make them force their ideas into the units in the published Codex. Assuming they weren't a powergaming munchkin, and I don't think Dave is.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm

It's not just the mental effort. Time is the major factor to be honest.

But yeah , I don't think there would be much power gamerness from the majority of us .
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:40 am

me_in_japan wrote:I would very much like to include a small Exodite contingent in my Corsair army, as it would serve the twin purpose of fulfilling my dream of actually using exodites, (snip)

In order to keep rules jiggery pokery to an absolute minimum I was strongly inclined to go with the following:

1 Exodite lord on a big chompy lizard. Best Codex Eldar analogue: Wraithlord with wraith sword. It's a monstrous creature. It's a CC nasty, and it can breathe fire. Badabing. Perfect match. The high T can be easily explained away by a bit of wiffle about force fields n stuff, plus a bit of natural Cold One endurance. The force fields can be modeled on, if it bothers people :) The only change needed would be to change from Heavy Support to HQ.

5 Exodite warriors. Best Codex Eldar analogue: Shining Spear aspect warriors. The only change needed would be to change unit type from Jetbike to Beast, and slot from Elite to Troop (to maintain strict allies rules). Other than that, it's all good. Spears, reasonable stats for a highly trained warrior on a honking great lizard, reasonable armour, too.

Points values for both the above unit would come straight out of codex eldar. No changes or imagination required.

Would folks be ok with me running a small Exodite contingent of this nature? I haven't built em yet, but I have all the parts ready to go...
I wouldn't have a problem either. There are tons and tons of armies in 40K. With the allies rules it's not always hard to find a unit to match your imagination. There was a guy on a Space Dwarf forum, who used the Chaos Marine Codex, cut and pasted and re-labled the bits he used and called it a "Squat" Codex. I think he took it down, as it was literally cut and pasted from a scanned pdf if I remember. I think it's easier (and more economical) to find rules to match your miniatures, rather than buy new miniatures for the new rules.
Big robot=big lizard, easy. The Jetbikes into Beasts Elite to Troop I wouldn't have a problem with either. If your opponent insisted on straight-unmodified Codex rules, you could put wings on them and make them part of your "regular" Eldar. Everything would be battle-brothers anyways. You wouldn't even have to make them "allied" Exodites. Just Exodite looking models in your "main" force, right?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Would folks be ok with me running a small Exodite contingent of this nature? I haven't built em yet, but I have all the parts ready to go...
I would only have a problem if you didn't make an exodite army ! ;) Can't wait to see it. I love dinosaurs :D Would like to see this please :D

Hmm...an exodite army...(steeples his fingers in thought)...what a fine idea! :)

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Currently, my "main" force is corsairs, and there's nothing in there that could work as an Exodite. If someone was being as ass and insisting on RAW, then (assuming I had a pressing reason to actually play the guy) I would just take a Wraithlord, 5 shining spears, and the cheapest HQ and troop unit I could find. Maybe Illic and 5 rangers would be most appropriate. 100% legal allied contingent.

@ kbear - that's the Dino I'm working with, actually, but I'm not gonna make it just craftworld-on-zard, oh no. My exodites are cowboys 8-)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 am

me_in_japan wrote:My exodites are cowboys 8-)
Elves in chaps? :lol:
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:46 am

Darn tootin'

:)

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 am

me_in_japan wrote:Darn tootin'

:)
I will shelve my usual elf-hate, (and it is not easy, believe me.... sissy elfboys in chaps.....) because I do believe MIJ could make some pretty cool cowboy exodites. There are precedents to be found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Valley_of_Gwangi And of course Studio McVey's Ruby.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch_Vanguard
Veteran

Post by Primarch_Vanguard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:48 am

I like that eldar on dinosaur back but chaps? With all the sissy nicknames already, you might as well break out some new terrain in the form of a village. And start changing the unit names; Flaming dragons, *** reapers, etc. only howling banshees is allowed to remain unchanged. Each to his own and I'll look forward to seeing the conversions. Either way, conversions are great.
The one, the only.

Putting foot to butt all over the universe.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Fear not, folks. If they look half as cool as they do in my head there will be no name calling required. :) All I have to do now is finish painting the gunners on my support weaps. I managed about half of one today...

Return to “Rumours”