Warlord Rumours

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Warlord Rumours

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 am

Warlord Games held an open day last weekend and as well as the expected demo games and trade stands they had previews of upcoming releases and 4 seminars discussing their future plans and offering attendees the chance to ask questions of the team.
Mr. Priestley gave a talk on writing games and had a Q&A about his own work.
The Perrys gave a talk on sculpting.
Paul Sawyer gave a talk on Warlord's plans for the coming year.
Alessio Cavatore and Andy Chambers (who seems to have become a semi permanent writer now) gave a talk on Bolt Action.

So, what was discussed? Well quite a lot apparently.
Hail Caesar.:

The next few supplements will continue to focus on Romans and their enemies with Brittons (which we know about) followed by Germania. There's also the Crusades on the way. Some kind of horse archers, possibly Parthians?

Black Powder: Anglo-Zulu War supplement as well as Sudan and "American Rebellion." More Napoleonics including supplements for Russia etc. Plastic Portuguese

Pike and Shotte: Thirty years war looks to be the focus here. The expansion is scheduled for 2014, and will be supported by a new range of plastic and metal minis.

And of course the most activity comes on the Bolt Action front: Two BIG announcements. Paul said he wanted to make the announcement himself but I'm sure it will leak fairly fast. After the current faction books have finished they will start on theater specific supplements. Andy Chambers is doing the Russian front which will cover everything from fighting the Japanese in Manchuria, the Winter War, all the way to Berlin and perhaps beyond.

Tank battles book: Expands on the armoured rules

Berlin 1945 range including weird and wonderful weapons like Vamphyr sights, Luftfaust launchers and Krummlauf rifles. Charlemagne div. Bund des Madchen, Hitler Youth, Volksturm.

Burma etc. book New range of Ghurkas in metal with supports. Also parts for use in Africa Plastic US Marines and plastic M3 Halftrack

Blitzkreig Includes Operation Sealion and "BEF, Polish, French and Belgians get new toys to take on Hitler."

D Day + Normandy etc. Amphibious landings, fortifications and bocage. Battle for the Bulge, Skorzeny's Brandenbergers, faux tanks, fog etc. Rules for armies formed from more than one nation. Supply drops Loads of new models Airborne Pathfinders, French Milice, Luftwaffe Field Div. Jedburg, SOE, Maquis, SAS, Sappers, Hobart's Funnies Para drops, Gliders Spotter planes more focused rules for Polish Airborne And special characters! Howard, Winters, Skorzeny, Peiper, Barkmann etc.

Judge Dredd: Hard back rules New minis Resin vehicles likely other 2000ad tie ins

GoA progressing smoothly in the background with a PDF living rulebook planned when Rick is ready

One of the big things concerns this year's big Crimbo set and the other is that WL has acquired a fantastic license but like I said I promised I wouldn't talk
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Warlord Rumours

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:37 am

So, nearly all of the above is of interest, but the two things they don't talk about are also pretty interesting.

A couple of years ago, Warlord released a big box set for Rorke's Drift for Christmas. This included a pile of terrain and a decent sized starting force. The only clue on the Warlord forum about this year's Christmas bundle is "Ham and Jam." It's not hard to figure out if you know your history.
The second unspoken news is the acquisition of a new license. Warlord just got the Judge Dredd license, so folks were a bit surprised to hear of another one so quickly. This one I have no idea about, but hopefully we'll hear more soon.

Now to figure out how to sneak the Ham and Jam past the missus. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:57 am

Keen to hear about the other licence too.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:59 am

Ok. So I suck at history. Please enlightening me on Ham and Jam.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 am

Yup. +1 on the "ham and jam? Huh?" front.

Interested to hear of the 2nd license, too. I don't play any warlord games, but I feel they are a company I approve of in terms of their behaviour/attitude to games and gamers. So, I like to keep an eye on em :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:49 am

Just goes to show you learn something new everyday. I didn't get the reference either. Apparently it's code names for Pegasus Bridge and Caen. My Grandad was there (after the main drop I'm guessing) and would be interested in this. This is why I made Red Devils units for Flames of War. :D
http://hamandjam.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.hamandjam.org/about-h-and-j/faq/
Warlord do some amazing scenarios. Just wish I had the time to collect and paint half of them. Still on my ECW. I think that's going to be a project that's ongoing shall we say. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:56 am

ashmie wrote:Just goes to show you learn something new everyday. I didn't get the reference either. Apparently it's code names for Pegasus Bridge and Caen. My Grandad was there (after the main drop I'm guessing) and would be interested in this. This is why I made Red Devils units for Flames of War. :D
http://hamandjam.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.hamandjam.org/about-h-and-j/faq/
Warlord do some amazing scenarios. Just wish I had the time to collect and paint half of them. Still on my ECW. I think that's going to be a project that's ongoing shall we say. :)
Yep, Warlord are producing a 28mm scale Pegasus bridge and a couple of the more important buildings that were fought over during the British Airborne attempt to capture the bridge.
I'm hoping to see plastic British Paras in the boxed set, but nothing has officially been mentioned yet.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:57 am

It would appear that Warlord's new license is Dad's Army.
I think Foundry did a range of models, but I don't know if they were official or not, or if they are still selling them.

Can't say I am all that fussed really, might be good for AVBCW, or a What If scenario I guess. :D

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:18 am

Dad's army could be really bloody fun. Or very , very meh.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Interesting news! I have the Foundry DA stuff, they look spot on, really characterful, and are Perry Twins sculpts to boot.
It's hard to see new minis topping them, but I may well bite if Warlord comes up with more I can use in the BA force I'm building - It's Dads Army themed Home Guard, 500pts to start. Lots of grey haired old geezers with comb-overs, molotovs and stiff upper lips. Oh, and a squad on bicycles, as well as a slightly diminutive Jonesy van :D
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Rumours”