Oh dear...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Oh dear...

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 am

There have been rumours floating round the interwebs about the next expansion to 40K coming our way. Looks like they were true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xergEXI-Zu4
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Oh dear...

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:13 pm

A better movie than their usual youtube efforts, but...

What exactly are they selling? They don't seriously expect people to be excited by some shots of minis which are already available and a big stompy date, do they?

Ah, no. Of course they do. This is GW we're dealing with here. Customers are dumb, placid animals, easily manipulated into parting with their money... :roll:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:28 pm

me_in_japan wrote:What exactly are they selling?
Apocalypse models in regular 40K
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Primarch wrote:
me_in_japan wrote:What exactly are they selling?
Apocalypse models in regular 40K
grumble grumble epic grumble
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:42 pm

But...surely the whole selling point of apoc was that it had super heavies. If they take that away then surely everyone who bought the recent apoc book will feel a bit cheated?

Ah, no. GW. Gotcha... :roll:

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:27 pm

No, Apocalypse is all about bringing everything you own and bashing it out on a huge table. This is about fielding a single Baneblade or whatnot in a regular sized game. Think Spearhead or the Linebreaker scenario in Battle Missions (three Baneblades against a regular 1500-point army).

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:37 pm

it's funny - Prim and I happen to be in the throes of organising a game of regular 40k with 1 super heavy a side. And you know what? We didn't an extra rulebook to do it. We said to each other:

Me: heya Prim. you fancy a game of 40k? 3000pts, my eldar (all of em) against your running dog imperialist pigs?
Him: Sure, ya pointy eared wussy.
Me: One super heavy apiece?
Him: Sure. Hang on - you have a titan, yeah?
Me: Weeeeell, technically yes, but he's in pieces and I promise not to use him.
Him: Hmmn. OK then. Yer on. Using D weapons is cheating.
Me: But all I have is a Cobra!
Him: Cheatyface!
Me: Oh just bring a baneblade.
Him: fine, alright then. I will.

etc.

The point is, we didnt need an expensive new rulebook. I await this new supplement with bated breath, if only so I can perhaps get some inkling of what theyre thinking. You never know - it may turn out to be the bestest best book since Mali 2.0, but I hae ma doots...

incidentally, @AGP - that conversation on facebook today about the confederate flag at G3 caused me no end of eye-rolling disbelief. I cannot fathom a) Why anybody would do that and b) why it would cause so many people to be annoyed about it.

Madness, I say... :roll:

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:30 pm

It's not about offence, it's about public perception. Replace the Confederate flag with a Nazi swastika, and then put yourself in the shoes of a new gamer, who knows nothing of historicals. It's not exactly the sort of public image that goes down well.

As to the actual topic of this thread, if you don't need the book, don't buy it. The mere fact of its existence doesn't affect you. :) On the other hand, anything that gets 40k players out of the 1500 points "tournament"-style line-em-up-and-shoot sort of play can only be a good thing. The more books like this, Battle Missions, Cities of Death, Planet Strike, etc, the better.

Plus, if you don't already own the Apocalypse book, then you actually do need an extra rulebook, to get the stats for your Baneblade. :P

One could also be unkind, and say that the more of these they do, the fewer unbalanced and broken codexes we get. :D

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:32 pm

@AGP & M_i_J - Facebook people don't like The Dukes of Hazzard then? People may as well complain about the Union Jack for all the things that the British Empire did.

I'm sure the new supplement is one I will be passing on, I have copies of Super Heavy rules from Forge World, it's not like there is much to them. I'm just not looking forward to the inevitable pick up game where one person brought a Titan. :D
Sadly the supplements don't appear to be slowing down GW's Codex rate. So far the books all seem ok so long as you don't spam the good units and minimize the average ones. The supplements with their "You can ally with yourself to spam more of the good units" approach actually appears to break things more.

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:02 am

Primarch wrote: I'm just not looking forward to the inevitable pick up game where one person brought a Titan. :D
Rule 1: don't play games with bell-ends. :)

Return to “Rumours”