Tyr-anuary

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Tyr-anuary

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 am

me_in_japan wrote:The nids are starting to look a little too cartoon-bad-guy for my tastes. They don't need the downward sloping brows and maniacal grins - they're supposed to be devoid of feeling. Bugs, y'know? I appreciate there has always been an element of this (eg in stealers) but I prefer the rather more soulless look, for example on the FW malanthrope.
"Starting to"?

Maniacal toothy grins have been part of the 'Nid aesthetic pretty much since they got launched.

Also, I'm glad that GW has made the decision for me about getting a box of Hive Guard for Advanced Space Crusade, heh. 3 Hive Guard, or a full army? Hmmm....
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:04 pm

When you have to fire your weapons through synaptic messages that cause involuntary muscular spams at the appropiate organs to propel the bio-ammuniton at high speed towards your enemies some maniacal grins are allowed as part of the package.

Just saying :lol:

M.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:26 am

With the codex due for release tomorrow, images from people who managed to get their copy earlier are starting to do the rounds on the internet. A large number of responses to these images are very negative, but to balance them out, I've worked up a list of positive points to help people see what they will gain from this new book.

+You will never hear opponents complaining about how broken/cheesey your army is. Never.
+You can continue to tell people you liked Nids before they became popular for at least one more edition.
+If you have any unpainted Tervigons or Trygons, you don't need to rush to paint them.
+All funds from the new book will ensure that GW's management get an even better retirement package.
+You will be able to buy minis from ebay at bargain prices as everyone rushes to dump their armies.
+You can laugh at all the people who wasted money on third party minis for Yrmgral Stealers, Parasite of Mortrex, Doom of Malantai and the Spore Pods.

So remember folks, no matter how much doom and gloom there is on the internet, there is a silver lining if you look for it.

Seriously though, the new book isn't all bad, we get points drops on a lot of units which will allow for bigger swarms and some units/wargear actually got better. Sadly though, most of the problem areas Nids had before got worse. Synapse is now cripplingly bad if you fail it. How bad? Imagine a unit of 3 Carnifexes standing around in the open eating each other. That bad! Most assault units still can't take grenades/flesh hooks, which limits their ability to make a decent charge and to make matters worse, Scything Talons took a big nerf. Finally, Nids still lack a decent anti-air unit. The new Crone might be ok, but it is kind of squishy compared to most other flyers.

Will the codex be playable? Probably, but it will be a tough fight against most lists.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:36 am

Yeah, an Assault army that can't effectively assault into dangerous terrain is pretty frustrating to play.

Hopefully people are over-reacting a bit, and once they start reading through the new rules more carefully/ playing some games they will find some strategies that will be effective.

All the same, I am glad that it is my Tau army that is already painted!

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:47 am

The Underdweller wrote:Yeah, an Assault army that can't effectively assault into dangerous terrain is pretty frustrating to play.

Hopefully people are over-reacting a bit, and once they start reading through the new rules more carefully/ playing some games they will find some strategies that will be effective.

Underdog armies are the funnest. It makes you a better player and if you win, it's all the more sweeter. That being said, there's more than one way to assault. And anyways, what's the death of a few bugs in the eyes of the hivemind?

As for the models, if painted right, they'd look good I think. But dang, those prices are horribly high.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:41 am

Colonel Voss wrote:
The Underdweller wrote:Yeah, an Assault army that can't effectively assault into dangerous terrain is pretty frustrating to play.

Underdog armies are the funnest. It makes you a better player and if you win, it's all the more sweeter. That being said, there's more than one way to assault. And anyways, what's the death of a few bugs in the eyes of the hivemind?

As for the models, if painted right, they'd look good I think. But dang, those prices are horribly high.
As a veteran Tau player I know that playing an Underdog army can be fun! Not that I'm complaining about the new Tau codex...

As for Tyranids, I'm sure I can still enjoy playing them, I have used them so little that I haven't really found my playstyle with them yet. As you said, with prices so high, I don't think I'll bother buying any new models, so I will have to make do with what I've got.

Once I have read over the new codex, I'll try putting a couple of small lists together (and assembling/painting whatever I need) and give them a try!

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 pm

And if anyone has an underdog army, you can always play me. I my hodgepodge of Kommandos, Bikers, not quite enough Boyz for a proper Tide, and a single Truk to get picked off and strand the occupants, suck so bad Underdweller's Tau were my arch-nemesis for ages. :lol: I don't even want to think of how bad I'd get my kan kicked now.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:38 am

Konrad wrote:And if anyone has an underdog army, you can always play me. I my hodgepodge of Kommandos, Bikers, not quite enough Boyz for a proper Tide, and a single Truk to get picked off and strand the occupants, suck so bad Underdweller's Tau were my arch-nemesis for ages. :lol: I don't even want to think of how bad I'd get my kan kicked now.

Yep, now, you can be my Tyranids arch-nemesis :) I'm pretty sure you already soundly defeated them at least once; I still have nightmares of hordes of shooty Orks hiding in forests. :(

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:14 am

The Underdweller wrote:
Konrad wrote:And if anyone has an underdog army, you can always play me. I my hodgepodge of Kommandos, Bikers, not quite enough Boyz for a proper Tide, and a single Truk to get picked off and strand the occupants, suck so bad Underdweller's Tau were my arch-nemesis for ages. :lol: I don't even want to think of how bad I'd get my kan kicked now.

Yep, now, you can be my Tyranids arch-nemesis :) I'm pretty sure you already soundly defeated them at least once; I still have nightmares of hordes of shooty Orks hiding in forests. :(
Hide in the trees and shoot wildly at anything that moves while screaming in terror. Let's hope it's still a sound tactic against the new dex.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Rumours”