Stormtroopers ahead!

Lovejoy
Legend

Re: Stormtroopers ahead!

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:12 pm

Could be worse..some of the Dredd stuff I have bought is almost comparable price wise to be fair. Not quite though.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 pm

Lovejoy wrote:Could be worse..some of the Dredd stuff I have bought is almost comparable price wise to be fair. Not quite though.
The Dredd stuff is produced under license, so that cost is carried over to the customer. GW minis are their own product, so they don't have that excuse. I'm sure that the Stormtroopers will come with a lot of extra bits on the sprues for extra customisability though. Their other IG command boxes are a treasure trove of cool bits and pieces.

I'm wondering if there is any way to extend the vehicle, as with some of GW's other poor vehicle sculpts, it looks too short and stubby. If it were possible to extend the chassis somewhat and add wheels to the front, it ight look halfway decent. Hmm...
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:46 am

More leaked IG pics.

New Hydra.
Looks awesome, GW can do no wrong....

...New Ogryns and Bulgryns (Shooty ogryns and Fighty Ogryns). Dammit GW!!

For comparison, a previous Ogryn model.

And the originals.

Well, at least with the money I save on Ogryns I can afford a Hydra. :roll:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:25 pm

The bane mask Ogryn is satisfactory. I don't mind it so much. But tank tracks on the armour...make no sense. If the armour were meant to be rag tag bits and bobs, then I could see the point, but it looks like they're going for a manufactured riot police type feel, ie, not cobbled together. Does not compute!
The old man with the tash in the last picture has a certain amusement value..but he is a bit rubbish isn't he. He is only missing a bloody whippet on a string, looking as he does like some string vest wearing uncle of mine from oop north in the UK. Nothing says future war in that picture, more like black puddings 3 for a pound.
Odd.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:56 pm

They're okay. I prefer the current version of the Ogryns. To be honest, I'm toying with someday in the future buying a small IG force to act as an ally to either the DA or CSM in larger games or be able to add some bodies, tanks and AA, so the plastic hydra kit is cool to see.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:16 pm

The Hydra looks pretty much like a hydra has always looked. i assume from the IG players' reactions that there has not hitherto been a readily available hydra (was it FW before? I dunno). Regardless, its the ol' chimera plus turret change that has served them so well. So far so unsurprising. Not bad, tho.

The ogryns, tho....

no. just no. too angular on their clothing, too ugly (and i mean badly sculpted) on their faces. They look ridiculously cartoony. Muscles on the arms are poor, too, altho that may be a result of the need to fit it on a sprue. There's just no character to their poses, either. Compare with a really good range of plastics like the dark eldar to see the difference I'm talking about. And dont get me started on the shooty ones. Daft idea. Daft models.

Daft. :|
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Epic fail on the ogyn. :cry:
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 pm

What do you mean the "shooty" ones? The ones armed like they've been for the last twenty years? Not sure what the other ones are armed with; could be a large-calibre gun, could be a breaching ram. I'm leaning to the latter, given the lack of any form of ammo.

I like 'em. I probably won't be getting any soon, because I have three of the 2nd edition ones to paint up, but if I didn't have those, I'd get some.

I object to young master Lovejoy's erroneous statement, though; this is an original Ogryn:

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:54 pm

I'd love to get my hands on some of those JG Ogryns.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:16 pm

@AGP - It was me that was in error about the 'original' minis. Whoops, forgot about those really old ones. Sorry.

I figure that everything from the neck down on the new minis is ok, but the heads look poorly done. The old heads were ugly, but full of character, the new ones just look malformed. The tank tracks, as has been said, look out of place on the armour of the riot police types. If the new similarly sized Nid Warriors are anything to go by, these Ogryns will be about 2000 yen a piece, which is not an amount I will pay for them.

The Hydra fits the IG aesthetic, and does indeed replace the very expensive Forge World one. There look to be some minor design differences, but it's what a lot of IG players have been waiting for since the last codex dropped. And it looks a lot better than the other new IG tank.

So far, I think I'll be getting the Codex, some new Stormtroopers and a Hydra. I have some old, metal Ogres which will be getting converted to form my Ogryn corps. Unless some better pictures emerge of the new APC, Idoubt it will be on my shopping list.

Return to “Rumours”