Naughty people leaking IG stuff.

Miguelsan
Champion

Naughty people leaking IG stuff.

Post by Miguelsan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 am

Naughty, naughty, very naughty. Don't they know it's forbidden by allmighty Kirby?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/co ... new_guard/

M.

Spevna

Re: Naughty people leaking IG stuff.

Post by Spevna » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:04 am

I like how they have illustrations of Imperial Guard regiments that GW doesn't actually make miniatures for. It's like they are intentionally trying to push gamers towards third party manufacturers.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 am

I think the 4th ed book had about 50 different illustrations of alternate regiments in it. Honestly, the Cadians are kind of boring. :D

The new Wyvern tank looks good until you read it's leaked statline. Heavy 2, S4, AP6, Blast, Reroll to wound and Ignore cover. Unless it's priced around 50 points or so, I can't see it being worth taking. There are better things in the Guard arsenal to choose from.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 am

Well could have a place. Like the Hydra is 2*heavy 2 mortars for 65pts IIRC so each it's like a mortar hwt squad in price for a slight improvement in firepower (but a question wwould be who in their right mind takes mortars... probably me :lol: ) The problem? if it ends up in Heavy Support it's a no-choice. There are much better things that a mortar totting tank for IG.

M.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:28 pm

I don't mind GW producing rules/minis that play less than stellarly. If you're worried about only using stuff that pwns then fine and good, you don't need to buy it. But, personally I like variety, so a few different ways to kerblam your opponent into the ground (some better than others) is fine by me. To use an eldar example - shining spears. Kinda pretty crap, you don't see em often, but potentially quite cool minis (ok, the GW sculpts ain't so good, but one could probly convert something cool for em.) Likewise, banshees. I know I bitched about them being nerfed when they were released, but now I feel a good deal more sanguine about it. Nice minis. I'll use em sometime. Certainly not complaining they're in the codex.

Same goes for all the variant regiments. It's all fluff, really. I very much approve of GWs attitude of encouraging players to make up their own stuff. Yeah, they don't make models for all the regiments, but they're clearly in favour of players getting creative and making their own.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:51 pm

"I very much approve of GW..." :?

MiJ has been abducted and substituted by pod people :lol:

M.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Don't get me wrong MiJ, I loves me a dirty bit o' fluff. I just think it's funny that a major factor in the whole IP palava is the fact that they have all this wicked good fluff, but then don't bother to make minis for a lot of it. I mean, people having been howling for Savlar Chem Dogs and greatcoat wearing Imp. Guard for donkeys!
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:23 pm

@M - eh now, calm down, calm down - context is all important, here. Besides, I like to keep an open mind. Just cos someone (some company...) has a history of complete asshattery doesn't mean every single thing they do is completely bad. I'm sure even the great villains of the ages occasionally had a good day. Y'know, maybe some days Hannibal Lecter has a salad, or maybe King Joffrey decides to stay at home and just watch TV or somesuch...

@Spev - to be sure, to be sure. I do kiiinda see GWs perspective on some of their IP issues, though. I mean, based off their repeated introduction of (fr example) IG regiments that they dont make minis for themselves, but others do, I would asssume they dont actually jave a problem with people looking elsewhere for their infantry. But, if said company labels the minis "Imperial Guard for use in Warhammer 40k (tm)" then GW go into laywer mode. I think that that is actually OK. Space Marines (the power armoured, aquilla bearing kind with bolters) are a different matter, as the aesthetic is quite specific and designed by GW.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 pm

It's not so much whether or not the Wyvern pwns stuff, so much as the role is already filled by several other vehicles which take up the same slot (presuming it's a Heavy Support here). There is a chimera chassis artillery tank that ignores cover with it's large blast and a Leman Russ variant which does the same thing.
To use M_i_J's example, imagine an Eldar unit that was mounted on Jetbikes, did the same thing as Shining Spears, but not quite as well and looked like another Eldar unit that someone had forgotten to attach the guns to. That is the new Wyvern. If it is cheap, it may be worth taking, but it is kind of redundant in the army as it stands. Now, GW might just take away the two existing options (one of which is still lacking a none FW mini), which may make it slightly more appealing, but I already have a dozen armoured vehicles which throw out huge blast markers, so I can't see myself buying one.

The Hydra on the other hand is a very nice choice, as currently it is the only AA capable armoured vehicle available without taking IG flyers yourself.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:36 am

me_in_japan wrote:@M - eh now, calm down, calm down - context is all important, here. Besides, I like to keep an open mind. Just cos someone (some company...) has a history of complete asshattery doesn't mean every single thing they do is completely bad. I'm sure even the great villains of the ages occasionally had a good day. Y'know, maybe some days Hannibal Lecter has a salad, or maybe King Joffrey decides to stay at home and just watch TV or somesuch...

@Spev - to be sure, to be sure. I do kiiinda see GWs perspective on some of their IP issues, though. I mean, based off their repeated introduction of (fr example) IG regiments that they dont make minis for themselves, but others do, I would asssume they dont actually jave a problem with people looking elsewhere for their infantry. But, if said company labels the minis "Imperial Guard for use in Warhammer 40k (tm)" then GW go into laywer mode. I think that that is actually OK. Space Marines (the power armoured, aquilla bearing kind with bolters) are a different matter, as the aesthetic is quite specific and designed by GW.
I wonder if they'll stop calling Space Marines "Space Marines" and start titling everything "Adeptus Astartes". Like the new Guard are now called Astra Copyrightabilatus.
"Maybe somedays Hannibal Lecter has salad...." that made me laugh.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Rumours”