And they shall know no... rumours

Spevna

Re: And they shall know no... rumours

Post by Spevna » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:15 am

Primarch wrote:You missed one of the rules.
WTF - At the end of the turn remove D3 friends.
At this stage, I'm just waiting for GW to start selling re-rolls or automatic hits on it's webstore.
New Webstore Exclusive - Winner - 100,000 yen.
At the start of your first turn, declare you are using this webstore exclusive item. You automatically win the game. Good for one use only.

More and more I feel like I don't want anything to do with GW and their products.

The Spevna Stance is strong with this one.

Mate,I've been feeling the same way for a long time, and the time I've been spending on the Oldhammer forums and pages is making me want to go back to the old days more than before.

If people are keen to start playing some Roge Trader, I'd be keen as mustard.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:14 am

There's a long way and a short way to say this, so I'm going with short:

I have a lot of 40k stuff. I'd like to use it. I don't want to sell it. I enjoy playing games of 40k against all y'all. I also don't particularly want to have to re-learn an ever-so-slightly different ruleset for those who are suggesting using Nth edition*. Can we not just continue to play the current edition? We don't need to pay anything to do so (just ask BranStark) and just because there are uber killy formations doesn't need to change how we play at all.

GW are not actually stealing money from our pockets or forcing us at gunpoint to play a certain way. We choose what we spend and how we play. So why not just get on with it and enjoy it? In short, GW's antics can be safely ignored while we get on with playing 40k.

*although I'd consider a wee bit of RT just for shits and giggles, as it is so different it may as well be a different game.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:11 pm

me_in_japan wrote:There's a long way and a short way to say this, so I'm going with short:

I have a lot of 40k stuff. I'd like to use it. I don't want to sell it. I enjoy playing games of 40k against all y'all. I also don't particularly want to have to re-learn an ever-so-slightly different ruleset for those who are suggesting using Nth edition*. Can we not just continue to play the current edition? We don't need to pay anything to do so (just ask BranStark) and just because there are uber killy formations doesn't need to change how we play at all.

GW are not actually stealing money from our pockets or forcing us at gunpoint to play a certain way. We choose what we spend and how we play. So why not just get on with it and enjoy it? In short, GW's antics can be safely ignored while we get on with playing 40k.
Definitely. Definitely. :) Just be honest with what kind of game you are looking for. Takes away some of the mystery and surprise which in some ways makes for a more exciting game, but that is more and more necessary :( to avoid a game that is not entertaining for both players. I have heard more and more of this kind of talk before games as the years have gone on, such as 'Hey, did you bring any flyers?', or 'So, what allies do you have?' or 'Wow, that is a lot of shooting?', 'Ok, so what does that unit do now?', 'I'm not sure I have anything that can hurt that.'...etc

Not saying that this didn't exit in the past, as I have only really played 40k since 6th edition, but I have definitely seen it increasing of late.

One thing that is a shame is the balance issue, which is always a swinging pendulum of course. But as Lovejoy said, if we get too many extremes and then request players not to use certain units or not to use certain rules etc, then things can become a wee...I don't know...difficult, sad, a pain in the bum, or whatever word best describes everyone's feeling :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:28 pm

I actually like the current rules, they do the job fairly well and there isn't anything that seems horribly broken about them. It's the army building side of things that is attracting my ire. There are just so many things that appear to need a hard counter to deal with that you pretty much have to discuss things beforehand. There have always been broken, cheesy choices, but now you also have to contend with stuff that in and of itself could be ok IF your opponent happens to take the right stuff to deal with it. The formations are also a huge pile of semi-reasonable choices to OMGWTF style nonsense and the 'you have to buy a 40,000 yen web bundle to get the best ones' is the worst type of business shenanigans yet seen in this hobby.
So yeah, I am done with buying stuff from GW.
I do however currently have enough marines to field a couple of companies and I do like the setting and gaming with friends.
RT is an acronym for Rose Tinted as well as Rogue Trader. Just saying.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Primarch wrote: RT is an acronym for Rose Tinted as well as Rogue Trader. Just saying.
True enough, but someone who is sick to the back teeth of GW's money grabbing ways might see Rogue Trader as a refreshing change.

I agree with MiJ though. Within the group of people that we play, the rule set we choose is unimportant at the end of the day as we all tend to be on the same page.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:49 pm

I quite like the 7th ruleset, it works fine, and if anything I certainly do want to play more 40k (I am excited to see my Necrons and Orks hit the table...eventually). So, no worries on that score. I'll be playing it off and on for the foreseeable future I hope. WFB, is a different kettle of fish. We'll have to wait and see what happens there, but I want to keep using my fantasy minis with something or other.

I think most of us are likely to stick with what we've got for 40k, by the sounds of it, for reasons already exhaustively examined. I can't see adding anything new, and I am going to try to learn to love hooky ebook versions of codexes even though I much prefer hard copies. It's a bit rich to be expected to keep dropping cash on them.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Rumours”