And they shall know no... rumours

Primarch
Evil Overlord

And they shall know no... rumours

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:21 am

Looks like the new marine dex has been sighted, with lots of rumours and leaks over on Bolter and Chainsword and BoLS.

So far, nothing earthshattering. A few points tweaks, some new formations, tanks can be squadroned for a bonus rule. No D weapons mentioned, no massive outbursts of Nerd rage. Well, except for the Raven Guard players who feel like they have been given the shaft, but who even plays with them eh?

Personally, I'm looking forward to buying a new codex filled with copy-paste fluff to replace my old one. At nearly two years old, it is obviously past it as far as gaming goes. Practically old-school by anybody's standard.

Sigh....
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: And they shall know no... rumours

Post by job » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:37 am

Well we've got to all do our duty and support GW.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:38 am

[quote="job"]Well we've got to all do our duty and support GW.[/quote

Speak for yourself ;) ;

Anyways, I'm sure you'll get a game or two in before the newer new space marine codex hits Prim.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:43 am

Colonel Voss wrote:
job wrote:Well we've got to all do our duty and support GW.[/quote

Speak for yourself ;) ;

Anyways, I'm sure you'll get a game or two in before the newer new space marine codex hits Prim.
Release is this weekend, and honestly, I don't really know if I could be bothered to even if I had the chance.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:19 pm

meh, I used to make a point of buying the codexes for the armies I played, up until that was shifted from "eldar, dark eldar and CSM" to "eldar, iyanden, dark eldar, haemunculi covens, harlequins, CSM, black legion, crimson slaughter, and, just for completeness, khorne daemonkin", updated every coupla years. And that's disregarding my penchant for FW stuff.

There's only a certain amount of silly buggers a man can take, and GW waltzed past it a good while ago. From here on in, printouts are where it's at. Ain't no shame in that, I say.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:03 pm

Primarch wrote:Well, except for the Raven Guard players who feel like they have been given the shaft, but who even plays with them eh?
Do excuse my laziness for not bothering to get up on the BolS and other forums :( hard day. What happened to the Raven Guard - they are such a cool chapter?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm

kojibear wrote:
Primarch wrote:Well, except for the Raven Guard players who feel like they have been given the shaft, but who even plays with them eh?
Do excuse my laziness for not bothering to get up on the BolS and other forums :( hard day. What happened to the Raven Guard - they are such a cool chapter?
Their chapter tactics changed from:
Assault Marines get to double up on their Jump Packs
Power Armoured marines get Stealth and Scout on Turn 1

To:
Assault Marines get to double up on their Jump Packs
Power Armoured marines get Shrouded on Turn 1 and a bonus to make the game Night Fighting

So instead of being able to strike the enemy hard and fast, they now get to hide and stumble around in the dark.

... However, until we see the codex, there is always the hope that the second rule applies to ALL Raven Guard, rather than just the PA guys, in which case it will at least make Termies and Bikes viable.

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:19 pm

I actually took the the trouble of buying (the now old) Space Marine convex because I saw it cheap on eBay :(

I'm just going to add post it notes to show the differences.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:59 am

@spev - that would make a really interesting comparison, actually.

"How much new text, exactly, does your 30quid codex purchase get you? A photo series by Spevna."
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 am

me_in_japan wrote:@spev - that would make a really interesting comparison, actually.

"How much new text, exactly, does your 30quid codex purchase get you? A photo series by Spevna."
Rules wise, it looks like the main changes are in the Army wide rules section. Most of the unit entries are largely unchanged. The big deal with the book is the formations on offer.
Take a captain, 30 tactical, 10 assault and 10 devastators and you get a bunch of once per game rerolls.
Take a captain, a chaplain, 60 tactical, 20 assault and 20 devastators and you double up the rerolls and get all your transports for free. The minimum points cost is about 1600. Assuming a 2000 point game, a marine player can bring along a fully loaded battle company with about 500 points of free rhinos, razorbacks and drop pods.
On one hand it encourages players to take a fluffy army. On the other, the marine player has 500 points of free tanks in his list.

#Edit#
Look like Raven Guard did ok after all.
Their Power Armoured squads did lose Scout. (Boo!)
ALL non-vehicle models that begin the game outside of a vehicle get Shrouded until the start of turn 2. That includes Termies and Bikes (who got nothing before) as well as assault marines. (Yay!)
Plus they have a higher chance for night fighting on turn 1. (Can be useful in combination with Shrouded, though it can also benefit the other player.)
Their jump packs still let you use them in the move and the assault phase. (Good!)
All Raven Guard models that make Hammer of Wrath attacks get a reroll. (Yay. Before this only applied to jump troops, but now it applies to bikes as well).
So, overall it's pretty good, though dedicated transports have certainly dropped in usefulness.

And yes, I am aware that most people probably don't care about Raven Guard that much. :D

Return to “Rumours”