And they shall know no... rumours

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: And they shall know no... rumours

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 am

formations were a stroke of genius on the part of GW.

boss: How do we make people with well established armies buy more of our minis without actually designing new minis?
minion: I know! How about giving them massively helpful bonus rules if they have like 60 marines in their army?
boss: 60, minion? Isnt that a bit many?
minion: make the rules really good!
boss: make it so...

And lo, formations were born.

And yes, I appreciate some formations (detachments?)are actually quite wee, but this is just smoke and mirrors to cover the whole "buy a squad of land raiders! Buy em now! buy! buy! buy!" malarkey.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:55 am

Luckily for me, I already have enough to run most of the formations already. A battle company of 100 marines plus transports? Easy.
GW need to try harder.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Looks like scouts are BS 4 and WS 4 now.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Again? Didn't I buy the new codex a year ago? Oh that's it GW, no more now sorry. :) Haven't even played 7th yet. What a mess. Nevermind hey. I might just stick to Lord of the Rings and Black Powder now. Glad I have painted all my Warhammer stuff and no longer have that swindle leading me up the garden path anymore. Phew
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:09 am

GW really has ramped up their release schedule. Of course only a third of it is new stuff (Admech).

A poster on Dakkadakka made the comment (can't find it now) that this flurry of new editions, dataslates, 2 (or is it 3 Ad-mech codexes) reminds him of TSR in it's last days. You remember the "Complete Handbook of Gnomes and Halflings" "The Complete Psionics Guide"? Gary G. must have been up all night for weeks straight cranking out complete handbooks just before they got completely bought out. Most likely that is not what's going on, but it is an amusing comparison.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:47 am

This is why I will only come back to the grim dark as 30k only. Too much confusion anymore.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:42 pm

'A GW Webstore Exclusive' formation.
The Skyhammer Annihilation Force comprises:

Two Assault Squads with Jump Packs
Two Devastator Squads in Drop Pods

And no less than four special rules:

Shock Deployment: All units in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force start the game in Deep Strike Reserve. Instead of using the normal deployment and reserve rules for these units, you can, during deployment, choose whether this Formation will arrive during your first or second turn. The entire Skyhammer Annihilation Force automatically arrives on the turn you choose—no Reserve Rolls are required. Ignore this Formation's Drop Pods for the purposes of the Drop Pod Assault special rule.

First the Fire, then the Blade: On the turn they arrive from Deep Strike Reserve, the Devastator Squads in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force have the Relentless special rule and the Assault Squads can charge even though they arrived from Reserves that turn.

Suppressing Fusillade: A unit targeted by a Skyhammer Annihilation Force's Devastator Squad in the Shooting phase must take a Morale test at the end of the phase on 3D6, regardless of how many casualties were inflicted. If the test is failed, the enemy unit does not Fall Back, but must immediately Go to Ground. If the test is passed, the enemy unit is unable to fire Overwatch for the rest of the turn.

Leave No Survivors: Assault Squads in a Skyhammer Annihilation Force can use their Jump Packs in both the Movement phase and the Assault phase. If an Assault Squad from a Skyhammer Annihilation Force charges a unit that has Gone to Ground as a result of the Suppressing Fusillade special rule, that Assault Squad can reroll failed To Hit and To Wound rolls in the ensuring Assault phase.
Wow :shock:

Well, GW REALLY wants to sell the new kits... limited to 200 of course... :roll:

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:25 am

You missed one of the rules.
WTF - At the end of the turn remove D3 friends.
At this stage, I'm just waiting for GW to start selling re-rolls or automatic hits on it's webstore.
New Webstore Exclusive - Winner - 100,000 yen.
At the start of your first turn, declare you are using this webstore exclusive item. You automatically win the game. Good for one use only.

More and more I feel like I don't want anything to do with GW and their products.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:46 am

Primarch wrote:You missed one of the rules.
WTF - At the end of the turn remove D3 friends.
At this stage, I'm just waiting for GW to start selling re-rolls or automatic hits on it's webstore.
New Webstore Exclusive - Winner - 100,000 yen.
At the start of your first turn, declare you are using this webstore exclusive item. You automatically win the game. Good for one use only.

More and more I feel like I don't want anything to do with GW and their products.
Have to agree. I was going to write more, but we are all thinking the same things anyway I'm guessing.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:47 am

It couldn't be clearer that the GW model for 40k/Fantasy is pay-to-win. I suppose it always was, but this deal and those like it (that AdMech bundle with special rules for example) is very cynical and transparent . I have a far from expert eye when it comes to the game, but for a while it seemed like new codexes were quite low key and balanced against each other, didn't it. Ork and Space Wolves codexes I have seemed nerfed but sensible (ok, some would say bland). But it seemed hopeful and that they wanted to put their house in order at least.
Didn't last long, eh.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Rumours”