A murmur of a whisper of a possibility?

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Re: A murmur of a whisper of a possibility?

Post by AndrewGPaul » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:06 am

Mike the Pike wrote:However, in the interests of sales, I don't think GW would ever go for it. Still, nice idea though.
Sadly, I agree with you. My post was what I'd like, not what I think will ever happen.
Whatever happens, I just hope they give Chaos it's flavour back.
My problem with statements like that is one of ... principle, I suppose. Flavour =/= special rules and equipment. Paint your Space Marines yellow, field plenty of Tactical Marines and don't deviate from your plan - you've got the flavour of Imperial Fists. Paint them white, field plenty of bikers and put all the foot-sloggers in a Rhino - you've got the flavour of the White Scars. What distinguishes the various Space Marine chapters isn't special rules, unique weapons or tanks. It's the history, the traditions, the tactics they use - none of which require any rules.

Having said that, if GW are going to milk Space Marines for everything they can, then I don't see why Chaos shouldn't get books for the five "big" legions in the way that Marines do.
Why can Imperial Land Raiders carry 12+ troops but CSM ones can only carry 10? Then there is the whole 'Power of the Marine spirit' thing.
Only Space Marine Land Raiders carry twelve men; Blood Angels', Dark Angels', Space Wolves', etc, don't. As I understand it, the reason for the twelve-man capacity was to allow the Land Raider to carry a full ten-man squad plus attached character (or five Terminators plus character in Terminator armour). Apparently Matthew Ward was subsequently told by the Powers That Be that he was wrong, and Land Raiders shalt only carry ten men forever more.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: A murmur of a whisper of a possibility?

Post by Primarch » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:22 am

AndrewGPaul wrote:My problem with statements like that is one of ... principle, I suppose. Flavour =/= special rules and equipment. Paint your Space Marines yellow, field plenty of Tactical Marines and don't deviate from your plan - you've got the flavour of Imperial Fists. Paint them white, field plenty of bikers and put all the foot-sloggers in a Rhino - you've got the flavour of the White Scars. What distinguishes the various Space Marine chapters isn't special rules, unique weapons or tanks. It's the history, the traditions, the tactics they use - none of which require any rules.
Sadly I think this is the part that is often overlooked. I cant think of any novels or fluff I have read where the Space Marines roll up and annihilate their foes because they have 10 razorbacks. Whilst there may be one mentioned in a story, its not usually the hero.
Mike the Pike wrote:Give us back SPIKEY BITZ! And also, master crafted weapons
Dont you mean master crafted weapons and also master crafted weapons?
If they made Spikey Bitz work like Digital weapons, I could see that being reasonable.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Rumours”