Mission 1 - Retrieve the Data

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Mission 1 - Retrieve the Data

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 pm

This will be the first mission played in the tag-team tournament.

Retrieve the Data.
Force Organisation Chart -
1 Compulsory Troop Choice,
Maximum 1 HQ, 3 Troops, 1 Fast Attack, 1 Elite, 1 Heavy Support (per player)
Each player will also need 1 objective counter on a small or medium sized round base.

Briefing -
Vital intelligence that could change the outcome of the entire conflict is currently stored in 6 data-vaults scattered throughout the area. You must lead your forces to the vaults and secure the data before the enemy.

Deployment - Pitched Battle, roll off for first turn/deployment as usual.
Starting with the team that won the first turn roll off, each team places one objective marker 6" in from their board edge and roughly halfway along the table (the centre of your team's deployment area). Then teams take it in turns to place 2 more objectives in their opponent's half of the table, at least 8" from any other objectives for a total of 6 objective markers on the table.

Game Length - 5 turns.

Winning the game - The objective of the game is to move a scoring unit into contact with each objective marker. If a scoring unit ends their turn with a model in base to base contact with an objective, then they are able to retrieve the data and move on. Mark the objective in some way or make a note. Once an objective has been marked, the unit is free to move away in the following turns. There is nothing stopping your opponent from also marking the same objective in a later turn.
Units MUST have been on the table from the beginning of the turn to mark an objective (ie units which arrived by deepstrike or some other means cannot mark it on the turn in which they arrive and must spend one full turn on the table first).
Units being transported in a vehicle may not mark an objective, they must first disembark.
Units which are pinned, gone to ground or falling back may no mark an objective, they are too busy.
Units may only mark one objective per turn. (So your 50+ man Guard blob can surround 2 or 3 objectives but can only score 1 a turn).
Objectives count as impassable terrain, so any unit deepstriking onto it must test for a mishap, similarly units cannot stop on top of the objective.
At the end of turn 5 the team which has marked the most objective wins. If both teams have the same number of objectives, the winner will be decided by kill points. If this number is the same, the result is a draw.

Prim's Comments
I wanted a game that would emphasise mobility and defence in equal measure. With this mission you have to move aggressively to mark the objectives off whilst doing your best to keep the enemy away from their unmarked objectives. You can take lots of small, fast moving units and try to claim all the objectives, but risk giving up a lot of kill points, You can take some tough units and try to deny access to some objectives but you risk being outmanouvered. The deepstrike rules above prevents players from simply pouring units onto the objectives without you having a chance to shoot them off first and the impassable nature of the objectives stops players from simply parking a large vehicle on top, denying base to base contact.
If anyone can think of a way to 'break' the mission, please let me know and I will make the necessary amendments.

Feedback in this thread please. What do you think is a valid strategy, which armies will struggle with the mission, which will do well. Please try to keep things constructive. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mission 1 - Retrieve the Data

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:41 am

I'm in Nagano just now on Beezneez, but I'll comment fully when I get back (Friday). Don't do nuffink till I wouldn't do till I gets back :D while I'm here, I'll ponder how to breK this bad boy :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Looks like fun mate.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:58 pm

Question: what about units that can deep strike like the marine librarian and his deep strike power. Can they just hop around by droping near the objectives and running in to contact with them? Orks and Necrons could do the samething provided the necrons dex holds true to the yack face rumors and the ork player rolls what he needs every turn. But I am sure you already knew they could do that. The question is had you already planed on it giving vanilla marines a big advantage over other armies.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 am

Admiral-Badruck wrote:Question: what about units that can deep strike like the marine librarian and his deep strike power. Can they just hop around by droping near the objectives and running in to contact with them? Orks and Necrons could do the samething provided the necrons dex holds true to the yack face rumors and the ork player rolls what he needs every turn. But I am sure you already knew they could do that. The question is had you already planed on it giving vanilla marines a big advantage over other armies.
I'm struggling to see the Necron method of doing this in the rumours. Drop a Monolith and teleport through the door? You're paying 200 points of your 750 to be able to pull that stunt once. Orks have a 1 in 6 chance of getting that power combined with all the other factors, so thats not a concern either.

Admittedly marines can do that trick the best with their Librarian and Gate of Infinity, but.....

You have a base 8% chance of the power failing (assuming the opponent has no anti-psyker stuff) plus a 66% chance of scattering by an average of 7". The odds of getting the power to work and deepstriking on target are about 30%. Then you have to have eyeballed the distances pretty darn well as if you are off by a fraction and a base overlaps even a millimetre of the objective you'll be taking a mishap test.

So at that point you're paying a minimum of 100 points + the troops to get the Libby and take that chance. Compare that to the 100 points + cheap troops for an IG valk that can scout up the table before the game begins, or Eldar jetbikes that turboboost 24" and do the jetbike shuffle for another 6" and come in at 66 points for a scoring unit and I'd say that the Libby isnt such a game breaker.

Personally if I were taking marines, I'd go for a LS Storm and 5 scouts. The Storm's scout move puts you on any objective on turn 1 and it is half the price of a Librarian.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:38 am

Theres also the whole thing with needing to be on it for a whole turn. If you DS in then the opponent has a whole turn to whale on you before you score any points. A fast skimmy thing, otoh, has no such troubles.

just a thought: Dark Eldar might struggle with this. fast, they may be, but at 750pts theyre going to have v few raiders, (2, maybe 3) and those things get shot down fast. But then, theres webway portals.

hmmn....
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:11 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Theres also the whole thing with needing to be on it for a whole turn. If you DS in then the opponent has a whole turn to whale on you before you score any points. A fast skimmy thing, otoh, has no such troubles.
Gate of Infinity (the psychic hoozamadoodle that Badruck is talking about) takes a unit off the table and back on again in the same turn, allowing them to teleport across the board.

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 am

Just an observation: since the number of turns is already decided and the "scoring" part is calculated at the end of the 2nd team`s turn, the team the goes second has a fairly substantial advantage. The scoring missions in the rulebook also use "last turn scoring" but offset this "going second advantage" by having random game length. So, (in the rulebook missions) is you pile on to the objectives at the end - displacing your opponent if need be, the game could be extended and would have overcommitted your forces into a dangerous situation. But, with a limited and establish number of turns, the team that goes second will just pile everything on at the end for the win.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:18 am

Don't mean to be critical but Dan has a point.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:42 am

For this mission? Grabbing the objectives in the last turn offers no benefits over grabbing them earlier as you aren't holding them you are tagging them and moving on. You could get all the objectives on turn 1 if you wanted.

For Mission 3, I can see the point though and I will make changes accordingly.

Return to “Tournament Rules and Missions”