Mission 3 - Capture the Flag

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Mission 3 - Capture the Flag

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:59 am

Here we are folks, the third and final mission for the NH2012 Tag Team Tournament.

Capture The Flag.
Force Organization Chart - Each player on the team will use a slightly different chart. Player A may select units from the following:
Min - 1 Troop. Max - 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 3 Troops, 2 Heavy Support.
Player B may select units from the following:
Min - 1 Troop. Max - 1HQ, 2 Elite, 2 Troops, 2 Fast Attack.

Briefing.
The battle lines have drawn closer together and both armies have moved valuable reserves up to the front. Intelligence indicates that an item of great significance to the enemy is present in your sector. A special forces team has been deployed to capture it. Taking this item will damage enemy morale and let our troops wipe out the last resistance in the sector.

Deployment.
Both of the A players roll off and deploy using the spearhead set up (table quarters).
Unless they have a rule saying that otherwise (e.g. Drop pods, Lictors) all of player A's models must be deployed.
All of the B players units must go into reserve. Up to half of Player B's units may enter from reserve on turn 1. If Player B already has a rule allowing him to bring on half his army (e.g. Daemons, Deathwing) use those rules to determine which models arrive.
Each team places an objective in their own deployment area at least 12" from any table edge.

Game Length.
The game will last for 5 turns, after that, use the rules for random game length from the main rulebook. I.e. The game will last for between 5 and 7 turns.

Winning the game.
All of Player B's non-vehicle units count as scoring unless they have a rule saying otherwise. (E.g. Space Wolf Wolves.) All of Player A's Troops count as scoring.
To win the game, you must have a scoring unit on the enemy objective and no enemy troops on your own. You cannot claim your own objective but you can contest it. Alternatively you win if the enemy units are all destroyed.

Prim's comments.
This mission is designed so that one player is on defence and the other is on offense, though there is nothing stopping you from both attacking or defending.

Any thoughts? Have I missed anything or can you see any ways to break the game?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Mission 3 - Capture the Flag

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:18 pm

Primarch wrote:Any thoughts? Have I missed anything or can you see any ways to break the game?
A Deathleaper being able to automatically contest/take an objective if it's army goes second, with the end turn not being random? I don't know if that's broken but it would give Tyranids an advantage I think!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

The Underdweller wrote:
Primarch wrote:Any thoughts? Have I missed anything or can you see any ways to break the game?
A Deathleaper being able to automatically contest/take an objective if it's army goes second, with the end turn not being random? I don't know if that's broken but it would give Tyranids an advantage I think!
That would be quite a neat trick. Hmmm. On the one hand it is an easy way to contest (or even score if you are player B) on the other hand, it is 140 points for a T4, 3W model with a 5+ save. I guess you could hide it away somewhere and hope that your opponent totally ignores it.....
Anyone care to comment? Broken? Tricksy but fair? Not worth bothering about?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:02 pm

I say trixy but fair... And it is a unit I have not seen before so I say go for it.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:17 am

Primarch wrote:
The Underdweller wrote:
That would be quite a neat trick. Hmmm. On the one hand it is an easy way to contest (or even score if you are player B) on the other hand, it is 140 points for a T4, 3W model with a 5+ save. I guess you could hide it away somewhere and hope that your opponent totally ignores it.....
Anyone care to comment? Broken? Tricksy but fair? Not worth bothering about?
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about hiding it since it can go back into reserve whenever it feels like it; but, you are right, it is pretty expensive if it doesn't do anything for 6 turns.
Admiral-Badruck wrote:I say trixy but fair... And it is a unit I have not seen before so I say go for it.
Unfortunately I don't have one! Yet, at least.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:48 am

The Deathleaper can pull the last second objective contesting shenanigans in a regular game, so I see no reason to disallow it in this one.

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 am

Prim,
Since we don`t know which team will be "A" or "B" until the day of the tournament and seeing as how the FOCs are different between A and B, is it safe to say each player will need to bring two lists for this mission, and then choose one after "A" and "B" teams are established?

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:51 am

Danguinius wrote:Prim,
Since we don`t know which team will be "A" or "B" until the day of the tournament and seeing as how the FOCs are different between A and B, is it safe to say each player will need to bring two lists for this mission, and then choose one after "A" and "B" teams are established?

Danguinius
Its not team A and team B, but player A and player B. Please discuss with your partner which role you will play.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:11 am

I.e. each team is composed of 1 player A and 1 player B. that's how I read it, anyway, although in retrospect it is a tad ambiguous.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:42 am

Oh, I see. Thanks for that clarification. Indeed, both players need to decide which role they will fill (A or B). Interesting....

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Return to “Tournament Rules and Missions”