Day #2 WarmaHordes Mini Tournament

Danguinius
Veteran

Re: Day #2 WarmaHordes Mini Tournament

Post by Danguinius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:20 am

Ahhh...I see. I checked out Zerkova`s file on Battle College; her spells look okay. But, I can see what you mean by challenging to use. I think every faction has such casters/locks. For Cygnar, it`s Darius and Constance Blaze. They are a little more tricky than our user-friendly casters (like Brisbane, eCaine) But I kind of like these "challenging casters". I just ordered Darius and I`m looking forward to trying him out...after the tournament.

BTW, I like how everyone is still being secretive about the warcaster they`re bringing...except Primarch! I`ll just say there are two possibilities for me: pCaine or pHaley...and I`m really leaning towards pHaley. I`ve kind of "figured her out" a bit recently.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:37 am

Primarch wrote:The Khador section of the PP forums has an "I won with Zerkova" club. It is a very small club.
And I hope to be the founding member of the Japanese chapter of said club. :lol:

Like Dan, I enjoy the challenge of playing with the harder casters. Zerkova looks really interesting to play with her rules and definitely feels like if I win, it will have been a job well done.

As for me, my choice of caster is very limited based on what models I have available at this time. My army isn't much bigger than the 35 points unless I want to take some very focus hungry warjacks.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:00 am

Again, I`m just looking at her spell list and feat and such, but she seems pretty good for scenario. She has lots of tricks. Influence, Watcher and Force Blast are all great spells for controlling scenario. It looks like she has the fighting prowess of a piece of meatloaf (like Haley), so you need to bring other things for the heavy lifting...but it may not be as hard as you think to join the "I won with Zerkova" club. She is definitely tricksy; and harder to use than pSorscha.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:39 am

I agree with you and I actually do have the Zerkhova model (not painted yet). The question then becomes do I have the models I need to actually win. The answer to that is a huge maybe. I think I have part of the puzzle but I wonder if I have the right mix or if it would be squishy time too easily. But I guess if people feel up to letting me try with her, I'll paint her up and bring her to the tournament. I'm not worried about winning since I have only played three games so far.But if you do get an easy win from me, no trash talking me ;)
-Alten Ashley

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:01 am

Well, I`m not sure if you want to debut her in a tournament setting, but if you a got a few practice games in in the next week or so, you might consider giving it a shot. Like I said, Influence and Force Blast actually move enemy models from range, so these spells are quite useful for winning scenario. Razor Wind is also not a bad spell if you get close and have a lot of focus. But, I think Watcher is her key spell. Upkeep it on a Berserker (SP 5, right?) and keep two heavy jacks about 3.5 inches in front of Zerkova...when something charges them (and they will be charged, because they are slow), you can trigger nice "out of activation movement" on your Berserker. This, combined with Influence and Force Blast could open a nice charge lane to the enemy caster.

However, she is squishy (like my Haley and Caine), so keeping her alive will be the big challenge - there`s probably little room for mistakes. Again, she looks like fun if you get some practice in with her. You may want to go with what you know for this tournament though and give Zerkova a chot next year (or the next tiem we play WarmaHordes).

Danguinius

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:07 am

Heh, like I said I'm pretty short on variety of models right now so I could maybe pull it off. But I just don't have the right tools to make a great list with any of them. I've found with Khador, making 15 or 25 point lists are easy and even 50 is no problem. But 35 is just a rough number to put a list together. I've spent hours putting lists together and none of them match what I want because I have to sacrifice this or that to make things fit.

And I can see you haven't read my thread in the painting section. I've already announced that next year I will be bringing Circle of Orboros to the tournament :mrgreen:
-Alten Ashley

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 am

Interestingly, I just got my can kicked by Circle of Orobouros (pKaya) yesterday in a practice match for this tournie. They are so fast! And DEF 14 heavy warbeasts can be a real pain to deal with.

Next year, I`m bringing Trollbloods...and possibly, The Mountain King!

Danguinius

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Mon May 07, 2012 4:32 am

I should have read and followed my own advice! I thought I knew what I was doing, but I got thrashed in The Big Throw Down (0-3)! I had a tendency to roll very poorly on damage rolls and a few poorly timed Command Checks...but really, my losses came down to poor play. I forgot about "ghostly" which allowed a Cryx Slayer to waltz up to pHaley and squish her. I passed up a chance for two boosted Defender shots at Reznik and played it safe trying to wear down my Menoth opponent. I had a total mindblank when I confused the scenario scoring zone with a forest in my battle with Khador. But all in all, I had a ball. Despite posting completely opposite results to my showing in the 40K tourney, I had just as much fun play WarMachine.

I want to thank the other participants for joining and congratulate MIJ for his victory. I hope to run this sort of tourney again at a future Nagoya event.

Danguinius

Return to “Participation Games”