Cutlass - Home Brew Crews

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Cutlass - Home Brew Crews

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:12 pm

I've been hard at work writing up some rules for the cutlass game to expand on the crews available and the options we have for models.

Here is my first piece, a set of rules for an amazon-style group who raid ships stopping to gather supplies on their island.
Cannibal_Women.pdf
(32.23 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Cutlass - Home Brew Crews

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Interesting choice of crew! Did you have Konrad's Mordheim crew in mind?

Themewise they make sense and are different enough from everyone else, a bit similar to Elves (with all of their move bonuses), but because they are stronger at melee they should have a different playing style - a minor point but I wonder if you could use the Elf skill "Agile" instead of "Swift", since they are almost the same?

Overall the crew looks pretty balanced; although they have some weaknesses in ranged combat, their skills (and, at least from what I've seen, the game in general) favour close combat so that shouldn't be a big drawback. Also the "uncommon" bow is better than most firearms at point blank range.

I wonder if they could also have some special equipment of their own to make up for their lack of technology- maybe a one-use net that could immobilize an opponent for 1d4 rounds?

Also, would they be able to buy all of the upgrades that other crews can? (such as "legitimate business"? Although there doesn't seem any limitation for what Undead can buy either, and that makes even less sense!)

Anyway, they look fun to play. I would play them.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Looks fun can other gangs buy bows? I would like to make an Indian ( native American ) (first nations ) what ever politically incorrect term you would like to give them I would like to make a crew of privetiers or pirates and give them bows daggers a few firearms but mostly bows and daggers.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Admiral-Badruck wrote:Looks fun can other gangs buy bows? I would like to make an Indian ( native American ) (first nations ) what ever politically incorrect term you would like to give them I would like to make a crew of privetiers or pirates and give them bows daggers a few firearms but mostly bows and daggers.
Thats certainly something to think about. I dont see why not. I have notes for 2 other crews I want to write up first, but I shall give it a ponder.

@Underdweller.

Konrad has an Amazon force? :o :o :o :o I never knew that. What a happy coincidence! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good point about the Elf skill, I'll look into that.

The bows are supposed to be good, but that is limited by the fact that ammo may run out at any time. Plus, they aren't great shots to begin with.

The net sounds like a good idea. Maybe inflicts a stun counter on the opponent until they activate would be one way to work it. COM vs DEX perhaps?

So far the businesses and other options haven't really come into play. When people start getting that kind of cash we can re-examine which crews should get what then.

Thanks for the feedback.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Well, I'm not sure if they're Amazons - maybe barbarian women with spears? Anyway, pretty close!

Yeah, I think the bows are fine, since like you said they have the ammo limit - also by the time they are at short range, they will mostly be getting into melee anyway.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:26 am

Primarch wrote:@Underdweller.
Konrad has an Amazon force? :o :o :o :o I never knew that. What a happy coincidence! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The man knows my weakness.
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:48 pm

I was wondering if the Cannibal Women's Com was too high?

Though I suppose this is a counter balance to their not having gun powder weapons?

Just trying to understand them in relation to the elves, which have D6 or D4 across the board except for dexterity which is D8 for all levels.

Perhaps the Cannibals' accuracy could be lowered? :?:

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 pm

kojibear wrote:I was wondering if the Cannibal Women's Com was too high?

Just trying to understand them in relation to the elves, which have D6 or D4 across the board except for dexterity which is D8 for all levels.

Perhaps the Cannibals' accuracy could be lowered? :?:
I looked at the other races stat lines before writing this up.
Basically, on a low level crewman, you get D6s and D4s. (Elves are the only crew with a D8 on a low level guy). Regular crew get one D8 Stat (Elves get Dex, Cannibals get Com). Officers and Veteran crew get three D8 Stats. (Elves get Re, Dex and Dar, Cannibals get Com, Dex and Dar). All the crews in the book follow this system.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Give them shields of some sort. Shields would be a good way to make them feel primitive and savage. And they are fun to decorate. Can't imagine how they would work as I don't know the rules. Parry and extra defense, no help against blackpowder or something.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am

shields up Kaptin :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Return to “Cutlass”