Cutlass by Gav Thorpe

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Cutlass by Gav Thorpe

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:31 pm

I agree - I rather liked it. As I said to Prim at lunch, that's 90% because the Savage Worlds resolution system is tried and tested, and Gav pretty much lifted it whole-cloth from that game, with the addition of some huge, sometimes-confusing charts (you mean sometimes the hand-to-hand hit chart tells me how much damage I do, but sometimes I have to go roll again on the damage chart? :?)

Sorry, snark showing through. :D It really was good fun, and for some reason me and Underdweller's game played pretty smoothly and quickly despite it being our first go. It seems pretty deadly, which is actually a good thing in games like this as it helps prevent gangs getting too powerful, which can be a problem in this kind of thing. (It could also just have been my gang. Most of my pirates die outright 1/3 of the time when they're taken out, while regular gangs will die quite rarely when they get an advance or two in the "don't die" stat. This could just be a way to keep the undead as "zombie-horde"-ish as possible.) The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say, and we'll have to do some campaigning to see how things shake out. It's fun enough (and Prim's terrain is awesome enough) that I'm willing to give it a go.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:55 am

Well, I had a fun time playing it! There are a lot of charts but I think after a few games we wouldn't have to consult them too often. I found a few things weird, like you can run behind a guy to attack him without him getting any free attacks, and I'm glad that Prim adjusted the Authority roll. And yeah, really cool terrain!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:30 am

job wrote: 1) Prim's adjustments make a lot of sense. There are places in the game where you can really see it is still a 1st edition ruleset.
2) Shooting vs. Terrain. More terrain, probably less shooting. I don't think this is necessarily bad either way, but if units become more specialized, there could be some debate...
3) The rule system is a refreshing difference, but it also means it may take awhile to really understand the ins and outs..
1. Of course they do. :D Actually, a lot of them come from the official forum for the game.
2. I have more terrain coming for the game, including 3 more buildings for the town and more palm trees/jungle for the islands.
3. Having played 3 games now and run one, the rules are pretty good once you get a handle on them. There are a few things I would "tweak" here and there and situations that aren`t very clear, but overall I like it.
job wrote: 1) I wish there was an easy way to get hold of a reference for the rules. I'm not sure I would want to buy a rulebook for a "side game".
2) I'd like things to be sped up a little.
3) A league. Well, if the the enthusiasm is there, a summer league for such a game kick's butt.
1. I will try and get some copies of the quick reference pages made
2. As players get used to the system I am sure it will get better. Neither you, nor Kondo san had played before.
3. Already underway. I`m hoping that Cutlass remains a regular staple of the Joshin group.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:00 pm

I only see 8 (plus a captain) different dwarf models that I can buy; if I recruit new hands, am I supposed to just buy the same ones again and paint them a different color? Or am I missing some area of the site?

Not that it's a problem right now, no-one wanted to join my crew!

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Primarch wrote:
job wrote: 1) Prim's adjustments make a lot of sense. There are places in the game where you can really see it is still a 1st edition ruleset.
2) Shooting vs. Terrain. More terrain, probably less shooting. I don't think this is necessarily bad either way, but if units become more specialized, there could be some debate...
3) The rule system is a refreshing difference, but it also means it may take awhile to really understand the ins and outs..
1. Of course they do. :D Actually, a lot of them come from the official forum for the game.
2. I have more terrain coming for the game, including 3 more buildings for the town and more palm trees/jungle for the islands.
3. Having played 3 games now and run one, the rules are pretty good once you get a handle on them. There are a few things I would "tweak" here and there and situations that aren`t very clear, but overall I like it.
job wrote:
1) I wish there was an easy way to get hold of a reference for the rules. I'm not sure I would want to buy a rulebook for a "side game".
2) I'd like things to be sped up a little.
3) A league. Well, if the the enthusiasm is there, a summer league for such a game kick's butt.
1. I will try and get some copies of the quick reference pages made
2. As players get used to the system I am sure it will get better. Neither you, nor Kondo san had played before.
3. Already underway. I`m hoping that Cutlass remains a regular staple of the Joshin group.
You truly are the Primarch of Primarchs. It would be great if you make some reference sheets and distribute them, Stu. :)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:40 pm

The Underdweller wrote:I only see 8 (plus a captain) different dwarf models that I can buy; if I recruit new hands, am I supposed to just buy the same ones again and paint them a different color? Or am I missing some area of the site?

Not that it's a problem right now, no-one wanted to join my crew!
I know other companies make Dwarf Pirates. Olley's Armies? I bet Reaper has a few. GW made some I'm pretty sure.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 am

Konrad: Thanks!

Primarch: I already made a copy of the quick reference sheets, so if you'd like, I could make a bunch more

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 am

The Underdweller wrote:Konrad: Thanks!

Primarch: I already made a copy of the quick reference sheets, so if you'd like, I could make a bunch more
That would be great if you could. Cheers.

As for the model range, so far they only have the 9 dwarf models you see there. Hopefully they will expand the range in the future, but I think they`re working on getting the Elves finished first.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 am

The Other Dave wrote:I agree - I rather liked it. As I said to Prim at lunch, that's 90% because the Savage Worlds resolution system is tried and tested, .
Not to get too off-topic, anyone have a copy of Savage Worlds? Is it any good? I've been listening to a bunch of Edgar Rice Burroughs and read a couple Solomon Kane/Conan stories. I'm sort of in a pulpy mood.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:06 am

At the risk of raising prim's ire by going further off topic, I have the savage worlds rules and ran it quite a few times last year. You feel up for a pulpy Rpg? Spirit of the century is another good pulp Rpg.

Return to “Cutlass”