Cutlass by Gav Thorpe

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Cutlass by Gav Thorpe

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:23 am

Having played several games of Cutlass over the last few months, I would like to give my opinion of the game:

Good points:

-no waiting around while the other person takes their turn due to opposed roles and reactions

-Pretty balanced factions-most games I've played against various pirate gangs seemed pretty even, other than Primarch's navy seems inordinately good at boxing- also almost all the weapons are available to everyone from the start, and the more powerful special weapons like blunderbusses or grenades are one shot

-Even low level guys have a chance thanks to the "exploding" dice rules

-High take-out rate (with good roles, it only takes one hit) makes the game fast-paced and exciting

-They're pirates, which is good if you like pirates

Bad points:

-The rule book needs editing - some rules seem kind of scattered around the book, such as whether or not you can react if you have certain conditions attached to you (eg: stunned characters may not react, but injured characters can), -a chart would be useful

-overly complicated rules - why not just let reacting characters make one action instead of having
specific reactions for specific circumstances?

-no rules to make more balanced games with experienced vs inexperienced crew

-too many little paper tokens to place and remove-(not sure what could be done about it though)

-exploding rulebooks!

-They're pirates, so if you don't like pirates you have rather limited options

I think that most of the bad points are minor and could be cleared up in a second edition,
so overall it is a pretty fun little game!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:17 am

The Underdweller wrote:Having played several games of Cutlass over the last few months, I would like to give my opinion of the game:

Good points:
Bad points:
I agree with all of the above. Personally, I like the game a lot and I have enjoyed playing it and demo-ing it for new players. All of the above points are also true, especially the exploding rule book. (Mine is already shot to pieces, so if anyone needs a photocopy of any pages, use my book rather than your own).

The rule book could use some tidying up (as well as better binding), as sometimes the rules can be a bit difficult to find. The quick reference sheets at the back help out a bit though.

So far I think that the reaction system is the best part of the game, but it could use a little streamlining as you suggest. Time for another house rule perhaps?

I've seen some suggestions on the Black Scorpion forum about balancing out crews. I'm currently spending my communting time working on some house rules for adding factions to the game. (e.g. the awesome ogres linked to by Spev), adding wizards to the game since magic apparantly exists in the game-verse and tidying up some other loose ends (circular charges). I guess adding a balance system to the game wouldn't be impossible and probably in my interests to get right as my Navy crew are up near the top of the pile at the moment.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Yep, I really enjoy Cutlass. I do! And I agree with what Primarch and Underdweller have said.

I have found that little bit of extra hope - being the exploding dice - to add a nice unpredictable element to the game. The fighting is very piratey, with back stabbings and cowardly ganging up for three vs one, being just a part of a normal pirate's day. Love it.

Probably, the mission scenarios work better when they are not a straight brawl, the reason being that in a brawl both parties have to agree to actually 'fight' one another. If one crew hides away or runs away, then it doesn't make for a fun game to be honest.

Perhaps one house rule I would like to see is something that would prevent the situation above. I suppose just not playing that scenario would work just as well, lol.

Anyway, cool game, in which sounding like a pirate is a good thing. Arrrrrrrrrrrr! Ye scurvy lot, ye rum drunk rats, ye no good slippery pike, ye mermaid's wife - ye ought to be gettin' ye cutlass crew afore I be stealin' ye cute lass and brew! Buwhahahahahahah! Arrrrrrrrrrrrr! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr????? Arrr? Ar? Bah! To the plank with the lot o' ye!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:06 pm

I to heartily agree with pretty much all of the above.
Two things that I think that need clearing up a.s.a.p. are 1) the "circular charges" that prim mentioned. It bugs me that an opponent can just run into my flank if it has the movement, regardless of the facing it started in. Perhaps forbid this or require a check of some sort, and 2) Clarification of how long some of the missions are meant to last and how the defender can win them.
Morituri nolumus mori!

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:21 pm

Mike the Pike wrote:I to heartily agree with pretty much all of the above.
Two things that I think that need clearing up a.s.a.p. are 1) the "circular charges" that prim mentioned. It bugs me that an opponent can just run into my flank if it has the movement, regardless of the facing it started in. Perhaps forbid this or require a check of some sort, and 2) Clarification of how long some of the missions are meant to last and how the defender can win them.
@1: Maybe you could make a house rule that the first assault on a model not in combat has to be made in straight line? (This is a FOW rule.) :?:
Also you could have all charges finish at the closest place that a model could get into base-to-base contact? (So charges into a model that has an enemy already in contact would go around the friendly model to the nearest open space.) :?:
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:58 pm

I think there are two possible alternatives here.

Either:
A) - Move a model into combat by the shortest distance possible. (Just saying 'move in a straight line' doesnt allow for movement around corners)

or

B) - When a model moves into base to base, the target gets a free turn action to face the attacker unless they are already in base to base with another enemy.

Option A means that you defending an obstacle like a wall is more likely to pay off, but opponents with enough move can still charge your flank/rear by using more actions. Option B means that you can only get a flank/rear attack if you have another model pinning the victim in place. I'm kinda liking B to be honest.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Primarch wrote:I think there are two possible alternatives here.

Either:
A) - Move a model into combat by the shortest distance possible. (Just saying 'move in a straight line' doesnt allow for movement around corners)

or

B) - When a model moves into base to base, the target gets a free turn action to face the attacker unless they are already in base to base with another enemy.

Option A means that you defending an obstacle like a wall is more likely to pay off, but opponents with enough move can still charge your flank/rear by using more actions. Option B means that you can only get a flank/rear attack if you have another model pinning the victim in place. I'm kinda liking B to be honest.
I think option 'B' is very good in regards to more casual model placement (no worrying about model facing which can get silly after awhile). But if you use B there will be some tactical loss. There would be no "sneaking up" on a model. A model could always be shooting out the window and watching the door to its back simultaneously.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Yeah, pirates are meant to be sneaky, right? Maybe use option B, but the attacker gets one back or side attack, then the defending model can change its facing for subsequent attacks? (Edit: I meant for non LOS attacks only)
Last edited by The Underdweller on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:00 pm

job wrote:A model could always be shooting out the window and watching the door to its back simultaneously.
True, but he might be faking it to lure the 'backstabber' into a trap. :D You could always argue that he hears the enemy coming (creaking floorboards, squeaky hinges).

How about this:

If the attacking model begins it's move within LOS (ie in front) of an enemy and then moves into base to base contact with it, the defender may turn to face the attacker. If the attacker began it's move outside of the defender's LOS, the both players make a DEX check. If the attacker scores higher, it may attack from the flank or rear with the appropriate bonuses. If the defender scores higher than or equal to the attacker, they may turn to face the attacker.
Models already in base to base with an enemy may only turn during their own attack actions.

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 pm

Primarch wrote:
job wrote:A model could always be shooting out the window and watching the door to its back simultaneously.
True, but he might be faking it to lure the 'backstabber' into a trap. :D You could always argue that he hears the enemy coming (creaking floorboards, squeaky hinges).

How about this:

If the attacking model begins it's move within LOS (ie in front) of an enemy and then moves into base to base contact with it, the defender may turn to face the attacker. If the attacker began it's move outside of the defender's LOS, the both players make a DEX check. If the attacker scores higher, it may attack from the flank or rear with the appropriate bonuses. If the defender scores higher than or equal to the attacker, they may turn to face the attacker.
Models already in base to base with an enemy may only turn during their own attack actions.
Sounds good to me

Return to “Cutlass”