First Game of Black Powder

Primarch
Evil Overlord

First Game of Black Powder

Post by Primarch » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Today I was lucky enough to get my first game of Black Powder in. Ashmie and I rolled up to Joshin bright and early and got straight into the game with great gusto. And what a game!

To begin with, we decided to alternate deploying units in a gentlemanly manner and after a few minutes pushing bases around we finally got everything set up.
The Prussians under the overall command of Colonel Von Laycock deployed at one end of the table (we played end to end rather than side to side for reasons that will become obvious later on).

Meanwhile my own British infantry deployed in attack column at the other end. Colonel Ditherington, the officer in command of the force led the left flank with the 4th Kings Own and the Black Watch.
Whilst Colonel Wilbur-Smythe took command on the right with the Royal Artillery Battery and the 35th Sussex.
(Yes, I know the cannon is pointing the wrong way. I dont have a horse team to make a limber with. Maybe in future).

The Prussians won the first turn and began with a rather sedate advance.

In the British first turn, Colonel Ditherington ordered the Black Watch to advance and form a line. The brave Scots moved 24" up the field (this is why we play along the table) to form a firing line behind a low wall. Sadly the 4th Kings Own were less eager to meet the enemy and decided to hold back. On the right flank the Royal Artillery and 35th Sussex advanced, but were unable to take up firing positions. A volley of fire at maximum range from the Black Watch succeeded in causing a few light casualties amongst the oncoming Prussians.

As the Prussians continued their advance, a line of infantry and the Prussian skirmishers advanced on the Scot's position. However, one of the other Prussian line units refused to budge despite General Von Laycock yelling at them at the top of his lungs. Obviously they weren't happy about having to march towards the British Guns.
The Prussian firing did very little to the scots who stood firm behind the wall.

Finally, Colonel Ditherington got the Kings Own regiment moving, no doubt threatening them with a visit from the provosts. The British forces began to manouver into a firing line, with all their units taking up firing positions.

Seeing as their musket volleys were having little effect, the Prussian line charged at the Black Watch and despite suffering casualties from the closing fire from the british, succeeded in not only launching an assault but also pushing the scots back from the wall and out of their defensive positions. Luckily the doughty men from the north weren't going to turn and run at the first sign of trouble and bravely stood their ground.

With the left flank fully engaged, colonel Wilbur-Smythe ordered the 35th, veterans of the peninsular campaign against Boney's french to advance and try to enfillade the Prussians. Sadly they didnt quite reach their intended goal, but were still able to take up a solid firing position. Along with the 4th and the Royal Artillery, they were able to disorder most of the forward Prussian units.

With many of his units halted due to musketry, Colonel Von Laycock tried to rally one of his line units and get them back into the fight. Sadly due to one of his adjutants being dehorsed by a well placed bullet the message never got through and the unit refused to budge. The final Prussian unit had been joined by the Von Laycock's second in command (sorry Ash, I forgot his name) and they advanced to join the firing line. It was at this point the disaster struck the Prussians as the Black Watch showed the enemy what it meant to go toe to toe with a scotsman and broke the Prussian infantry facing them.

Seeing the flank starting to open up, the men of the 4th Kings Own regiment charged the skirmishing Prussian unit in front of them and stormed right through, the smaller, rag tag scouts being no match for the cream of the British army.

Seeing his chances for victory (and a promotion too no doubt) slowly slipping away, Colonel Von Laycock dragged his remaining units into line and delivered several volleys into the oncoming British infantry. Due to wet powder or just incompetence, the Prussian shooting failed to do much more than cause the British to duck their heads a little.

Like a well oiled machine, the British forces swung into position, forming a thin red line facing the Prussian guns. Volleys of fire sprang from the British lines and soon the entire front was swathed in thick clouds of gunsmoke and the stink of burned powder. As the smoke cleared, the British held the field, with the Prussian brigade in flight and the moans of the dead and the dying surrounding them.

Many thanks to Ash for being such a good sport and for taking the time and effort to invest in buying, building and painting an army for this game. I had a great time playing and the rules themselves seemed very intuitive and easy to follow. The no-nonsense style of the game made for some fast turns and we were done in about 2 hours despite the fact that neither of us had played before. I cant speak for Ash, but I think that this is going to be a game that I keep playing for a long time to come.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Re: First Game of Black Powder

Post by ashmie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Splendiferous battle report and a splendid battle to boot. :D
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was fast, furious and easy to play and most of all very fun. I urge others to take up the bayonet and sabre as soon as they are able. I was unlucky with many of my rolls and am already thinking up new ways for my peasant Prussians to mutiny against the bloody Brits. The first wave have been defeated but wait! Von Laycock and Wolfgang Heinrich Gruber have some sleeping pikemen waiting in a nearby barn. (unpainted) What of these?
And what of the French? When are the French coming. Hopefully not just yet so the Prussians can have their satisfaction.

Here's Prussia's take of the battle from painting to game, a hobby eye view. I have to say I have enjoyed every minute of this project. Blood sweat and Bavarian tears.

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss35 ... th%20love/

Please view album on slide show, I've mixed in hazy out of focus battle shots with painting pics. Under the rib cage twist and rip! Or should I say base coat first, dip and spray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUuFcsdo ... re=related one more time on that one.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:56 pm

c'way the Scots! Gawn yersels lads :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 am

best battle report ever... Prime I have to say that BP looks great...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:05 am

@ Job, Admiral : But what of the French?
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm placing my order through Prim. So the war for the balance of power can begin soon.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:25 am

Impressive stuff! I may have to reevaluate my stance on scale. :D
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain