3rd game of Black Powder.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: 3rd game of Black Powder.

Post by job » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:41 pm

@ Prim: Sometimes, you need to not bottle up things and just tell people what you'd like in the game.

On the same side, remember I was still learning. The whole French side was learning.

I'm sorry I ask a lot of questions, but that is what I do when I'm learning. Maybe if you don't want all the questions you should have kept the size of the game smaller and asked people to start at a smaller size.

That said, I clamped up on a bunch of things that remain unanswered in my mind. I knew I was slowing down the tried to sit on several things.

That said, I think you also need to be willing to be more aware of your own role in the game. You designed the set up. You appointed yourself GM. You self-style yourself as the expert in BP. Then you ask everyone to follow you unquestioningly. If you want the responsibility I think you should own up to it, too.

You could have drawn attention to my questions burning up time. You could have pointed out Lovejoy needed more attention in the game. You don't even need to be too polite with me about it. But, you didn't either.
However "I dont think Unit A should be allowed to do that," and "I should be allowed to perform Action Z" aren't questions.
And this is your imagination. Nobody said this. :?

Furthermore, I did read the book fairly heavily. I spent several hours combing the book. Just so you happened to spot the rules and be more familiar with them doesn't mean nobody else happened to take as much diligence as you in reading the book. I'll take a look again as you nicely wrote down the pages and get myself familiar with the pages in question. ;)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Models in Skirmish order CANNOT give closing fire (Page 62), upon being charged they must either:
This is new to me. Very interesting. :!:
Cavalry without the Marauders rule cannot operate far from their Brigade Commander. Looking over the battle reports in the book you will see that heavy cavalry is often formed into it's own brigade. In smaller games this is hard to do obviously. Generally, the cavalry should be there to support the infantry and stay close by them. Using them to lead the charge into the enemy line will probably not get you much beside a pile of dead cavalry.
This is very true. I'll have to remember this and try to rely on them as such. Certainly there will be ways to the calvary, and I bet it won't be that hard if I put my noodle to it. :)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Every question that was asked, I answered. I have NO problem with helping new people learn the rules or explaining things if it is unclear how it works.

What I do take umbrage with is wasting my day listening to people waffle on about how we should limit units or why they should be allowed to perform actions that are outside of the rules or any one of half a dozen other pointless arguments that A) added nothing to the game, B) wasted time and C) couldnt have been discussed at a later point in time, especially when they are "still learning."

As for me being a self styled expert in BP that is no longer anything you need concern yourself with. Neither is me being a self styled expert in 40K, Cutlass, Malifaux, Dust or any other game.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Primarch wrote:Every question that was asked, I answered. I have NO problem with helping new people learn the rules or explaining things if it is unclear how it works.

What I do take umbrage with is wasting my day listening to people waffle on about how we should limit units or why they should be allowed to perform actions that outside of the rules or any one of half a dozen other pointless arguments that A) added nothing to the game, B) wasted time and C) couldnt have been discussed at a later point in time, especially when they are "still learning."

As for me being a self styled expert in BP that is no longer anything you need concern yourself with. Neither is me being a self styled expert in 40K, Cutlass, Malifaux, Dust or any other game.
Sorry, I was a little curt. That was out of line, I felt, after I typed it. (_ _) I still feel sometimes you assume leadership and then resent others for looking toward you as such.

You certainly answered every question that came your way. You ARE an expert in many games in my eyes, but you also let people know that you are.
Last edited by job on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Maybe not the most opportune time to insert myself into the conversation (I'll get my coat)
But I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the games, and that I'm really grateful to everyone involved for bringing all the necessaries, putting the effort in to painting. The table looked pretty impressive.

I think there was a little too much questioning and dithering even for an intro game, but it'll get better for us all I expect. I do agree that if there are rules issues mid-game better that they are just accepted when they occur and examined in detail later if necessary (ie, after the game), with a more focused read through of the book.
A more thorough read-through is something I'm going to be doing myself this week I hope.

Again, thanks everybody. I really hope to play BP again sooner rather than later.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:04 pm

You were great, Lovejoy! Good luck with the French if you go to the game against Ashmie and Prim on the weekend. (I do apologize for taking up your time yesterday with my questions. I felt then and now I owe you an apology for that.)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:06 pm

All Napoleonic Infanty must form square (Page 126) and the Skirmish Rule does not prevent that.
Oh! I didn't catch that part, or rather take strong note of it. It really helps explain a lot.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:43 pm

Shall we call time on this frackar and try to move on from it. Put the game to bed for a few days and start a fresh next time. Like I said I am happy to GM. I enjoyed the game despite a few overlong hickups but it's done now, lets try and not worry about what should or shouldn't have happened.
I've even got the rulebook out now on my shelf next to The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes, next to be read. Next time we play I'm more than willing to crack skulls if there is any dithering. Don't worry I'm good at GMing and being a bastard so I won't hesitate to give the polite nudge to any uncertainties or look up rules quickly if needs be. :geek:
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Black Powder and Hail Caesar”