Special scenario: Spainish Pennisular. 1809. The Fog of War.

ashmie
Wargod

Special scenario: Spainish Pennisular. 1809. The Fog of War.

Post by ashmie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 am

In light of recent gripes about yesterdays game and it's lack of focus and conduct I have been inspired to write a special scenario for next time.

The Forces
The main factions will be France and Great Britain but there are options for other armies such as Prussia and other countries to be included. This game is designed for Job, Prim, Lovejoy and anyone else who wants to join. It is a 4 player game of doubles with a GM. Whom may be addressed as Gloy played by Ash. The GM has full authority on game rulings. The golden rule is the GM is always right (even when he is wrong). Hopefully not. :P
Each army has two commander models but no general model on the board. The reason is explained later.

One side will be the attacker one side defender. The defending army takes 2 units less than the attacker and takes the high ground hills/mountains. Players are encouraged to bring all the models they own. Preferably painted to at least 3 colours.
The defender has an advantage of being able to see over units as he is on higher ground therefore as a
special rule for this scenario he can see and shoot at any enemy unit within range.

The Fog;

This is an old way of war gaming that works well and can be very engaging if all parties are willing.
Two roles are assigned to the players on each team. One player will play the part of the General and the other his Commander. This will be determined by a roll of a d6. The General makes all the command decisions and rolls for these and the commander follows the generals orders. The General does not touch the models. The Commander moves the models and makes all the rolls for shooting, saving throw and close combat. The General makes the leadership and break test rolls.
The general has final say on every order but can only give orders on the information he receives from the commander first hand. For example (metagaming) the General player may be able to see something in the corner of the battlefield that needs attending to but he is only receiving orders from the Commander about another area of the battle so he must attend to that first. The information from the Command to the General is given verbally but the orders from the General to Commander are written down and given to the Commander to carry out to the letter. The only exception to this is the 'follow me' command which can be given at any time by the commander on his own initiative as well as following the Generals orders or instead of.

Time

The time limit of each set of orders is 3 minutes. After 3 minutes if no orders have been given the General loses his authority for that turn and the Commander is expected to act as he sees fit.

The game is played for 8 turns or 3 hours maximum of real time. At that time if the defenders are still holding or contesting the mountains/hills they win. If they are driven back the attacker wins.

As prerequisites for the game the players are encouraged to read through the rules, familiarise themselves with any special rules for their units. Watch BBC's Time Commanders on youtube as source material for this game and/or watch The Duelists for flavour.

That's the bare bones. I know Job is busy this weekend but if all are willing lets execute this rematch as soon as we are able. Places gentlemen. :geek: :D :D

This is just a suggestion of course. If you are not mad keen I understand. Anyway I'll take a break. Just want to keep the interest in the game going. Seeing as we all invested quite a bit of time and money in it. Same for 40k finally. Got to keep these things going. :? :cry:
Last edited by ashmie on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Re: Special scenario: Spainish Pennisular. 1809. The Fog of

Post by ashmie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Time commanders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQ8gIxB ... re=related

This is the show I nabbed the idea from.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Special scenario: Spainish Pennisular. 1809. The Fog of

Post by job » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Nice idea!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Black Powder and Hail Caesar”