Pike and Shotte.

ashmie
Wargod

Re: Pike and Shotte.

Post by ashmie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:48 am

The sweetest thing just happened. The kids have gone home because of the typhoon but the two girls from the Philippines stormed into the teachers room just now while they were waiting for their parents and ceased my computer while I was agonizing over whether to push the button on the Pike and Shotte order again. Immediately I'm asked "What is Warlord Games"?, to which I reply "nothing". "Please show me, are you on Facebook?" "What is Warlord Games?". I told them in the end it was my hobby plastic models for painting to which they looked bemused but interested. :)

It's a much better reaction than "Nani Sore!" Which is what I normally get if they catch me reading NH forum. They think I'm in to Gundam though because of the space marine.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:06 am

I am planning to put in order for this project to paint over next winter. I should have enough for a Royalist and Parliamentary siege hopefully. I'm debating whether to order now or not. Perhaps I will wait until Christmas to order. What factions would everyone play? I was thinking Royalist. Should we go that way with a faction each or shall I buy two factions that everyone can use.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 am

ashmie wrote:I am planning to put in order for this project to paint over next winter. I should have enough for a Royalist and Parliamentary siege hopefully. I'm debating whether to order now or not. Perhaps I will wait until Christmas to order. What factions would everyone play? I was thinking Royalist. Should we go that way with a faction each or shall I buy two factions that everyone can use.
I wont be starting until the new year, too many other things to do (Romans, Zulus etc), Bolt Action is coming up over the summer along with 6th 40K and right now I just cant afford it.
IF you are going to order, please do so through Ikeda san, he might be able to match the prices of Maelstrom if we all put in a big order at the same time. Of course, if you just want a box or two, the UK is probably cheaper for that.

As for factions, in the ECW there are several options:
Royalists,
Parliment,
New Model Army (basically Parliment's professional soldiers),
Scottish Covenanters,
The Army of Montrose, (Irish regiments with Scottish Highlanders),

At a similar time to the ECW, the Thirty Years war was drawing to a close, this gives several more possibilities for 'What If...?' army match ups (e.g. What if the British had fought in Europe or some Europeans had invaded Britain):
Swedish,
Holy Roman Empire,
Spanish,
Dutch,
French,

Further afield, both the Polish and Ottoman Turks were at war as well.....
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 am

I've just had a long talk with Mrs Laycock, (well 3 minutes or so), asking her opionion on my spending habits. She seemed to think selling the armies I spent so much time and money on is crazy and buying whole new armies when I don't have space or haven't finished painting the individual character models or units I already own is plain insanity.
So I'm turning over yet another new leaf.
My new mantra is: 'Cherish the models you have, maintain them, paint them well, don't buy anymore until every single one is finished and gamed with'.

Perhaps Pike and Shotte should be our Utopia. A place we are trying to get to when all the other mayhem is completed. Lets get our existing games running smoothly before we even attempt to enjoy and give the English Civil War justice. Research would be a fine idea as Lovejoy suggests.
Last edited by ashmie on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 am

'Cherish the models you have, maintain them, paint them well, don't buy anymore until every single one is finished and gamed with'.
Amen to that, brother!

I've spent my typhoon-stops-meeting afternoon tidying up (or making an attempt to tidy up) my hobby room. It never ceases to depress me when I see how many unpainted minis I have. Not only that, but its getting to the "hey, I didnt even know I had that!" stage.

bad sign, dudes. baaaad sign... :?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 am

Historical hobby utopia:
I'm picturing a castle in Dorset. Besieged by Cromwell and his army. Inside a poor defenseless Royal family and some loyal subjects ready to fight to the death for honour and the family code. A castle, a moat and a forest with a small village. 6 by 12 board should do it. ;)

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:30 am

Quite smart you missus.

I too would like to get in on this game in a few years time, once I have made a significant dent in my two RT armies.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:27 pm

This is a project I'm thinking for late winter or middle of next year at the least.
Sorry but it sounded too good to miss when you were selling it to me the other day at yakitori. :)
I've ordered (a few) Pike and Shotte. They won't be painted until winter anyway so don't worry. I'm fully aware we have to play plenty of Black Powder, Hail Caesar and Rorke's Drift to try out before any other systems.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:43 am

After I've finished everything on the bench for 2012. I'm going to start the new year with a new army, historical period and game. Pike and Shotte interests me greatly as Im from the North Devon area and quite fancy reinacting the battle of Torrington 1646. Or the assault on Dunster castle.
Here's some info on Torrington http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/mil ... w-wold.htm

Any advice people may have is welcome. How to build historically, accurately. Painting advice etc.
I'll keep you all posted. With new boards and terrain in mind I hope to make this an on going passion as well as project for next year. I'll probably build both NMA and royalist forces but anyone who wants to build one of those is more than welcome to help out. :)

Well it's been a long painful road from quitting to thinking about a new army again. My apologies to everyone on here for having to listen to the agonising. To work.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:47 am

Welcome to Ash's fact of the day.

This is a star fort from Warlord Games scenery.
It's also known as a sconce. Hence the meaning of the term ensconced: settled in and sitting in a comfortable place.

More reasons to love Warlord Games.

In other news did you know most Corn Flakes come from the USA. :P

Return to “Black Powder and Hail Caesar”