Books

ashmie
Wargod

Books

Post by ashmie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 am

http://www.amazon.co.jp/The-First-Total ... 432&sr=8-2 Nearly finished reading this one. It's got a terrible cover but it's a fairly light narrative of Napoleonic times. Quite interesting.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Re: Books

Post by Mike the Pike » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:04 am

Isn't the cover one of Goya's horrors of war series?
I'm not sure I agree with his subtitle/thesis though. While there were elements of 'total war' (guerillas, semi-global scale, etc), it was still quite a 'gentlemanly' war.
I prefer the Osprey series for a light, intro to battles, uniforms and personalities. but you have to pick the battles, personalities that interest you. They don't have one comprehensive tome. :ugeek:
Morituri nolumus mori!

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:14 am

@Mike
Yeah I must admit his comparrisons of war with Iraq and back then weren't really needed and kind of popped up when not really needed. It definitely was a total war as all of Europe was involved. As for the gentlemenly war I think the priciples of it were gentlemenly but the amount of numbers thrown into battle and ultimately their death was horrific and far from the cosy quarters of the aristocartic Genreal where everything seems in good form. This book was a little up in the air and waxed lyrical now and then but if anything it was a good overview of the armies involved and the timeline.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:22 am

I think there are parallels between Iraq and the Peninsula but on the whole the two are like apples and oranges. IMHO. Despite what Sharpe and British historians would have us think, the events in the Iberian peninsula were very much a sideshow to the events on the main stage of Western and Central Europe. (Ducks for cover from a volley of cucumber sandwiches) :D :D :D
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:17 am

Mike the Pike wrote:I think there are parallels between Iraq and the Peninsula but on the whole the two are like apples and oranges. IMHO. Despite what Sharpe and British historians would have us think, the events in the Iberian peninsula were very much a sideshow to the events on the main stage of Western and Central Europe. (Ducks for cover from a volley of cucumber sandwiches) :D :D :D
True, but we did the best we could. Without the British in the Peninsula, maybe Boney could have drawn upon more troops or officers, but I guess that wouldn't have made a huge difference during the retreat from Russia. The British also provided some financial support to their European allies, but on the whole I guess we're just proud of what we did in the Peninsula and later during the 100 days campaign.

Besides, Bonaparte, New Zealand sounds like a silly name for a city :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:06 am

This book is about the whole theatre of Napoleonic times and not just Britain. It looks at all the armies involved and their activities. It's focus is mainly on Napoleon of course. It took me the whole of the book until I found the 4 or 5 pages on Prussia. Cucumber sandwiches intact.

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:31 am

No worries Ash mate. I was really only trying to get a rise out of prim, the grumpy, old codger. :D

And yes, for those who aren't in the know, Wellington, the capital of NZ, is named after the 'Sepoy General'. There are several streets etc named after battles and personalities (Talavera, Salamanca etc). And right across the bay from Wellington is a city called Nelson, named, of course, for the chappy who really saved Britain's backside.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 am

Mike the Pike wrote:No worries Ash mate. I was really only trying to get a rise out of prim, the grumpy, old codger. :D

And yes, for those who aren't in the know, Wellington, the capital of NZ, is named after the 'Sepoy General'. There are several streets etc named after battles and personalities (Talavera, Salamanca etc). And right across the bay from Wellington is a city called Nelson, named, of course, for the chappy who really saved Britain's backside.
The laughing bully from the Simpsons?

Hah-ha!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Black Powder and Hail Caesar”