Revolting Americans (And some pretty awful British as well)

Simon W
Rookie

Re: Revolting Americans (And some pretty awful British as well)

Post by Simon W » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:10 am

Apologies for the lengthy silence. I’m going to have to back out of this project unfortunately. I’m moving down to Osaka next weekend. Do you know if there’s much of a gaming scene in Osaka?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:00 am

Simon W wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:10 am
Apologies for the lengthy silence. I’m going to have to back out of this project unfortunately. I’m moving down to Osaka next weekend. Do you know if there’s much of a gaming scene in Osaka?
I'm not sure, but you could try sending a private message to Miguelsan, he lives out that way and might have a better idea. http://www.nagoyahammer.com/forum/membe ... file&u=314
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Do you know the JIGG kansai group on facebook? It's a board game group, not a wargaming group, but I suspect there's enough crossover that someone there could at least point you in the right direction.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Simon W
Rookie

Post by Simon W » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:48 am

Judging by the size of the apartment I’m likely to be getting in Osaka, board games might be the way to go. I don’t think I’m going to be refighting Leipzig at home anytime soon...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 am

Lol. :D I know the feeling. I’ll be moving to the Tokyo region this month and the family is now +1 and the apartment is slightly smaller then the current place. The process of disbanding and mustering our the plastic recruits has begun.

That said, please feel free to join us if you can travel over when the event happens. Primarch and I are taking the long road to this and I’ll be adding more Americans and British through this summer. If nothing else, we are looking for commanders for our brigades.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Simon W
Rookie

Post by Simon W » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:46 pm

Yeah, moving day is always fun. When the movers look at you and say, “What the hell have you got in these boxes? Lead?” “Well, actually, umm, it’s a funny thing you should say that...”

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Progress so far on my rebellious colonists.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:30 pm

A well overdue progress report on those “awful British” with some awfully nice uniforms. Well, I guess they aren’t really British from the British isles but mostly loyalist New Yorkers and German mercenaries.

British Legion
These green-jacketed troopers were formed from various loyalist companies mostly from New York but also units from Pennsylvania and Connecticut. The Legion had both a mounted and foot component. Their commander was the dashing, debonair but otherwise described as “rakish“ and vilified Bananstre Tarleton. Jason Issac’s character, Tavington in the movie The Patriot, was very, very loosely based on the historical character who gets a very different portrayals whether you were historically loyalist or rebel, Tory or Whig.

The unit would build quite a reputation in the Southern campaign from 1779. It was present at the siege of Savannah and Charleston. At Charleston it fought to see off rebel attempts to relieve the city. It was on the victorious side at Monck’s corner, Lenud’s Ferry, Fishing Creek, and Waxhaws. The later became notorious amongst the rebels as the “Waxhaw’s Massacre” or “Buford’s Massacre” as British Legion horsemen reportedly attacked rebels under the white flag after Tarleton’s horse was shot after a request to surrender. (Accounts on both sides report Tarleton did not participate in the killing and ordered a halt after he was freed from his injured horse.) Regardless of where responsibility lies, the event and term “Tarleton’s Quarter” were characteristic of the bitter fighting in the southern theater with savage reprisals on both sides.

At Camden it sealed the major British victory with pursuit of the broken rebels, but the unit and Tarleton met a severe reverse when the foot component was destroyed along with a British army in an enveloping American attack at the Cowpens. The cavalry component cut its way out in a running fight with rebel cavalry. Afterwards, the legion would serve in the Race to the Dan as the cavalry force for Lord Cornwallis, seeing more victories as Cowen’s Ford and Torrence’s Tavern.

Serving as a vanguard it would be the first unit engaged with Nathanial Green’s army at Guilford Courthouse.

Ansbach-Bayreuth Jäger Company
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Black Powder and Hail Caesar”