Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Napoleonics anyone?

Post by Primarch » Fri May 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Sorry for the Thread-o-mancy.
I just purchased this:
bp-cover.jpg
bp-cover.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
From the Book Depository in the UK. £30 RRP, but thanks to the Book Depository's lower prices and their 10% sale for May I got it at £23.50 with free shipping to Japan.
I have read a copy of the rules elsewhere, basically the rules cover wargaming for Napoleonics, the American War of Independence, The Crimean War, The American Civil War, up to the Anglo-Zulu wars and the Sudan.
Obviously this is a very large chunk of history (200 years or so), with a lot of changes in warfare methods and tactics. The rulebook consists of a core set of rules and then special rules for different periods/units. The rules are written for 28mm scale engagements and the book contains numerous lavish pictures of tables set up by Rick Priestly, Jervis Johnson and the Perry brothers, with thousands of models spread over 12' by 8' tables. The game can be played on smaller tables by simply scaling back movement rates and weapons ranges.
There are perhaps two big differences between this and the games we usually play (e.g. Warhammer and Warmahordes). Firstly, as the units are all fairly abstract, no models get removed from the table unless the unit is routed off the board. Units acquire wound markers throughout the game which affect morale and cause them to break eventually.
Secondly, there are no army lists. Players are encouraged to be gentlemanly and not to behave like cads, bounders or rogues. The idea is to pick a battle you want to recreate and place the appropriate forces, or just to make up your own scenarios (with fairly balanced numbers on each side) and see how things go. The entire book is written very nicely, with a tongue in cheek narrative to the games. Now I just need to get some models to make 2 small armies and a sucke...er I mean a gentlemanly grognard willing to try the game out.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 am

Just purchased this rulebook and the Prussians so let battle commence. I ordered them from Warlord Games so they should look pretty good. 3 boxes of infantry, some 20 pike men and an auxiliary officer. Lets try and get a game in after Summer when Autumn is upon us. What say you?
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon May 30, 2011 6:12 am

ashmie wrote:Just purchased this rulebook and the Prussians so let battle commence. I ordered them from Warlord Games so they should look pretty good. 3 boxes of infantry, some 20 pike men and an auxiliary officer. Lets try and get a game in after Summer when Autumn is upon us. What say you?
Autumn seems like a doable date. I haven't ordered any minis yet, but I plan to get some in the very very near future. (Like the start of next month). I know you have Prussians, which were, at least some of the time British allies, but since my whole point for collecting Napoleonic stuff was Sharpe, I will be buying a British force after all along with some riflemen in dark green jackets led by a swashbuckling Lt/Captain/Major/Colonel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon May 30, 2011 6:17 am

That's true, I guess we could fight as doubles. Or I could spend more money and buy some of the Tipus men. Indian army that fought against Sharpe in Sharpes Tiger.
In the meantime we will have to use the Prussians as a one off battle to learn the rules or just say they are Russians.

Or we enlist two more suckers to join us on this Napoleonic crusade. We need someone to play as Russia or France.
Last edited by ashmie on Mon May 30, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon May 30, 2011 6:22 am

ashmie wrote:That's true, I guess we could fight as doubles. Or I could spend more money and buy some of the Tippus men. Indian army that fought against Sharpe in Sharpes Tiger.
In the meantime we will have to use the Prussians as a one off battle or just say they are Russians.
Or its a training exercise.
Or that their orders got mixed up.
Or that one side is French in disguise.
Or screw that historical cr4p, lets see what would have happened if Napoleon had been Prussian or British.
:lol:

Seriously, just because the game is based on real history doesnt mean to say that every game will have exact historic accuracy in it. I dont want to get into any fights about what colour the buttons on my Colonel's dress uniform should be. Likewise, I dont want to buy and paint a seperate force for every major battle. :D Black Powder seems like the Beer and Pretzels version of Historical wargaming so lets keep it that way. Dont go buying models that you arent interested in just for the sake of it. I'm happy with Brits Vs Prussians, at least until we can bully Pikey into getting some French. :D

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon May 30, 2011 6:28 am

Cool. Ok. I'm really looking forward to painting them. I have some 12mm British and they were really fun to paint. Very simple colours and they look good en masse (<-- la police de grammaire :D ). It's 28mm for this project though. Understood.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 pm

ashmie wrote:Cool. Ok. I'm really looking forward to painting them. I have some 12mm British and they were really fun to paint. Very simple colours and they look good on mass. It's 28mm for this project though. Understood.
My copy of Black Powder arrived today. It looks very nice. to be honest, I was expecting a tome along the lines of the GW hardback core rules, but its actually about half the size of the 40k book which is excellent as there isnt a gaming sized version.
All of the pictures look very very pretty though assuming that the minis inside were painted by RP and JJ I can definitely say that they should have got some tips from the 'Eavy Metal team. :D That said, in historic gaming it looks like every army is a horde army. None of this 10 models and a couple of tanks nonsense.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 pm

I don't know if you are looking to expand the group, but I've always had an interest in Napoleonic warfare. 28mm is not my cup of tea, but if the game is at a low enough scale, I might be interested in setting up some French infantry and calvary.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 pm

job wrote:I don't know if you are looking to expand the group, but I've always had an interest in Napoleonic warfare. 28mm is not my cup of tea, but if the game is at a low enough scale, I might be interested in setting up some French infantry and calvary.
If smaller minis are more your bag, Mike and I have a (at the moment very early-stage, in the sense that we have minis but haven't actually painted many or played yet) plan to try some 6mm Napoleonics.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon May 30, 2011 4:00 pm

It would be neat to try a new range of proportions. What brand of models and rules are you guys using?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Black Powder and Hail Caesar”