early war escalation

Colonel Voss

Re: early war escalation

Post by Colonel Voss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm

Don't forget the Italians. They were the whole cause of the Greece campaign.

Sadly, I won't have a glider assault company. It would be cool, but I am on a budget now.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Of course the Italians! It will be good to fight them too! But they didn't make it to Crete. :D

And we can't start everything right? There are so many lists out there. I want to do a Speverband, Hetzer, Gebrigsjager, American Glider Rifle, Rangers, Amer. Rifle (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 29th), Polish tank, French Foreign Legion or Goum and a Soviet Mcha companies, but I'm not sure if I can ever get around to doing those. (It is killing me that I have also Dwarf models, Napoleonics, warhammer scenery, half a Cutlass band, a BB team and then FOW platoons I am working on all to paint up. I've pretty much given up on collecting a 40k army before Nagoyahammer. :( Oh well.)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 pm

No we can't build all the lists that we want (believe me, my list is just as long as yours). As such a small group though we can coordinate to try and get the most diversity from our armies rather than each of us collecting the exact same armies.
-Alten Ashley

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:21 am

I agree, although that shouldn't be read as a statement baring people from collecting what they want. As our FOW group is composed of a few players, I think it is best if we collect forces from both sides so if you like red-on-blue fights. (But blue-on-blue is always good too.) Also, I think we can try to collect across the eras so we can experience a little of everything here in Japan.

I'm debating actually buying a full Gebrigsjager company to actually play EW to its fullness rather then adapt my current German Grenadiers that I modeled best as possible to look like the Gerbrigsjager. I'm also looking to collect some Soviet-Romanians to play the Allied side on the Eastern Front sometime (possibly calvary as we haven't had any of that either).
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:34 am

I would never consider to tell a person what armies they could or could not collect. Just a thought that might help us prioritize the armies we get. For example, Pikey has a schwere company he has bought so I can put off building my schwere and focus on something else.

As for me, besides early war, not much interest in the allies. Poles and Greeks are my go to for Allies, though I might (very far future here) do a Warsaw uprising force. Axis wise, a fast moving infantry unit is probably going to be my next purchase, though Finland might win out if they do something interesting for the winter war.
-Alten Ashley

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:48 am

Oh I didn't mean anyone was telling anyone anything. Just if you want to do Americans or I want to do FJ, I don't think we should hesitate.

On the hand, it is good if agree in the general direction we pursue our forces. Because you want to take the plunge into EW I'm joining you. I tried to come up with a way to collect French or Poles because of your interest in the Getmans but they would require me to build an entirely new army. If I do Gebrigsjager it fits nicely and very convenitently with your plans for some Greeks.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:33 am

You have a point. To be honest, I hadn't expected anyone to join me in early war and had resigned myself to having a show army. I'll try to give ya a late war army to smash your yankees around even harder than my fallschirm have ;) or some midwar stuff.
-Alten Ashley

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Watch out what you wish for. :D

But yeah usually Americans, particularly the Armor have trouble in LW with German armor.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 pm

you know, I was planning on a fast infantry company for late war, but now you've given me a very nasty idea......... :twisted:
-Alten Ashley

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Well I am not sure there is much to power gaming in FOW. There are silly ugly lists that can be brutal for opponents, but most balanced lists can handle anything.

The most cruel lists might have been the Sicherung list loaded with Panthers and hetzers. But the new 3rd Ed even cuts down on this.

Actually one of the most powerful lists was and probably still is the Britsh rifle. Artillery, carrier hordes, 17lbers and Britsh bulldog actually makes for one of the most fearsome lists. ;)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Flames of War”