Early War Escalation II (Greek Campaign?)

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Early War Escalation II (Greek Campaign?)

Post by job » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:09 pm

So, I wanted to suggest we add another dimension to the early war campaign. How about we also add Firestorm Greece to the mix?

Campaign rules and map:
http://flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Docume ... greece.pdf
Tokens:
http://flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Docume ... Tokens.pdf

If we are playing an infantry ace campaign, we could spread the escalation phases over the campaign turn. Say turn one of the campaign you have 500 points + any points from markers in forces for each game. (I suggest if this campaign is done, the markers just become worth x- points.) Turn two of the game we escalate to 700 points plus markers. Turn three would be 900+ and turn four we would probably end the escalation and you keep your infantry ace commander rules for the duration of that campaign phase.

Essentially you might want to plan for your force being able to stretch over 1000+ points when necessary.

Lets say also each campaign turn we would all try to play 5-6 games. So the total in the whole campaign would be 20-24 games. I think if we play infantry aces we are going to easily play 2-3 games every time we meet, so I think this could be very reasonable.

So what do you guys think?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Re: Early War Escalation II (Greek Campaign?)

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm game for it. I was planning on 1750 for my greeks anyways. Just who would be playing the Italians?
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:37 am

When you play firestorm campaigns it is always a little more fun to play with historical units, but there's no requirement to do so. When we were playing Martket Garden, we had German companies from Eastern front books, British Guards, US paratroopers, US 2nd armor (which were by far the greatest number of players) and Soviet tank and infantry companies all participating. You can always proxy, too if you feel you want play closer to historical units.

Anyway, aren't your "Greeks" actually "Italian" units? :D I was thinking, Voss, you could just play your Greeks anytime as Italians by just making the few adjustments to organization. The more I look at those lists, I was thinking they are like a 2-in-1 deal. That's pretty cool. :)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:51 pm

actually Greeks are rifle/MG platoons, while Italians are rifle companies. Quite a lot of difference there spending wise. I could probably pull off a pretty fair priced Greek army, but the Italians I think are right out of my price range until they come out with a battalion set or something of the sort.
-Alten Ashley

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:31 pm

True you need more models, but if we are playing 500-900 point games I'd imagine you might have enough to pull it off. Anyway, it would be cool because you could play either side of the campaign and get the most out of your models.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:10 am

Let's keep this on the simple side for now. Greeks only for me. Unless there is one heck of a bella bombina in it for me.
-Alten Ashley

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:54 am

Good point. The campaign is a point in simplicity, so I think your idea to stick to simplicity is a good one. Build up your Greeks and I'll continue to raise my Gebrigsjager (although Vichy French are starting to be tempting.)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:16 am

heh, that'll be your own little project. I got me a few armies to build up in the mean time :lol:
-Alten Ashley

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Well, to keep this conversation of the escalation campaign, I was wondering if we should discuss the Infantry Ace rules. You can find them here:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx ... rt_id=2666

There are a few things we might want to adjust. If we are doing this for early war, what should we do about captured equipment units? The equipment listed is kind of generic equipment adjusted to represent untrained crews manning them. But 75mm armed tanks are not a thing of the EW period. Same with the AT guns. Should we create adjusted numbers? or just leave them out of our campaign?

Also are there any other things we should consider?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:13 am

hmmm..... if we had italians that would work well for capturing rules for the greeks, but other than that I can't see germans using captured Greek gear. maybe change them up to match the era would be good or just forget them.
-Alten Ashley

Return to “Flames of War”