New Open Fire! box

job
Destroyer of Worlds

New Open Fire! box

Post by job » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:39 pm

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=3438

There are some rather interesting new stuff

• One its just one more great box starter set in the gaming world. 40k is getting one. Warmahordes has a good deal. Warlord has been producing quiet a few cool starter sets. Now BF joins with two complete companies in this box set. One infantry grenadier with Stug and Pak40 support. The other is a British squadron with American Para support. Along with rulebook, dice, template, and lists. Seems pretty good.
• Another big thing to notice, if not bigger, is the shift to using plastic! People have been talking about how PSC and even Warlord have been putting pressure on BF to shift to plastics and lowering their prices. This might be the beginning.
• V-2 rocket launcher? - this could be a sign also of the return of Market Garden in bound copies with additional lists released.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Re: New Open Fire! box

Post by Mike the Pike » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

I saw a few pics yesterday. It looks awesome! The plastic intantry figures especially. Soooo much detail for 15mm.
BTW, I hate being an Anorak but it's a V1 launcher in the box set, not a V2 :ugeek:
Morituri nolumus mori!

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:08 am

Guilty as charged. :( I guess I should run the gauntlet or something for having written that obvious historical inaccuracy in this section of the forums. :cry:
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:35 am

Those are some nice-looking plastics - the infantry especially. Shame I don't need any British Shermans, but presumably they'll be coming out with all kinds of shinies in plastic. Anything to keep the price down - especially at a scale like this one, you want to be able to get quite a lot of stuff cheaply.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:52 am

Oh man, open fire looks awesome. I need tanks too.
One for Christmas perhaps.
I've been watching A Bridge Too Far again today and ended up looking at the Fow site.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:21 am

ashmie wrote:Oh man, open fire looks awesome. I need tanks too.
One for Christmas perhaps.
I've been watching A Bridge Too Far again today and ended up looking at the Fow site.
Double Awesome! Do you want to play a Bridge Too Far scenario next year? I could pick up the book and get you the list for Frost's Perimeter.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:20 am

Yeah I was just looking at that book online looks cool if that's even the right word for a massively doomed operation. Is the book a series of battles?
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:01 pm

If you are talking about the Hell's Highway (British Guard, American Airborne and German Fallshirmjager) and Bridge Too Far (British/Polish Airborne and German forces around Arnhem), those books cover lists in about the period the above movie you mentioned. The British forces are really just airborne without much support, so while tough as nails they are kind of on their own.

I should mention next year there is word on the street is that the books will be compiled into hard bound editions with additional lists. Nothing like celebrating spectacular failure (or from the German perspective, a last victory)! All in the spirit of the Alamo!, Charge of the Light Brigade, Picket's Charge, Custard's Last Stand, Iswandlwana... :D
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Custard's Last Stand
He certainly got his just desserts :lol:
I hope this is an Auto-correct/Spell check fail.
Morituri nolumus mori!

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:35 am

No, that is a late-night/type while really drunk fail. :oops:
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Flames of War”