Flame of War - Fanning the Flames

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Flame of War - Fanning the Flames

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:05 am

I just finished watching "A Bridge Too Far" and it really got my all fired up for some WW2 action. First stop were the Warlord and Perry Bros. websites for some BA reinforcements. I then took a virtual wander over to the Battlefront/Flames of War website which I haven't visited for ages. A look through some of the recent offerings had me salivating.

There is so much on offer now. As well as the Western front/Eastern front stuff that that we all know and love, they have put out a lot of stuff for early war Japan with more to come. They have also ventured into Vietnam (including Anzacs), the Arab-Israeli conflict and due out in the next few months... World War 1! And on top of that they are coming out with more and more plastics all the time.

So, if you've got a hankering for some large scale (numbers wise) Second World War Action then check it their website and/or jump in on this thread.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Re: Flame of War - Fanning the Flames

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:10 am

Hers is an update on my "What exactly is Flames of War?" Thread I started a while back....

Flames of War is currently one of the most popular World war 2 wargames system.

Models are based on 1/100th scale, i.e. a infantry figure is 15mm.

Divides WW2 into 3 distinct periods: Early, Middle and Late War. At the moment Job, TOD, Voss and I have armies for Late War. Voss and Job have also been busy with their early war project. I believe Prim and Ashmie also have armies(?).

Currently covers the European/Mediterranean theatres of Operations but a Pacific War version is in the works.

Simple to learn if you have a background in other table-top wargames.

Doesn't require a lot of background knowledge of WW2.

Currently, there are players in Tokyo and the Nagoya/Chubu area.

Reasonably priced miniatures and rules with lots of free expansion material online.

If you are on a budget, there are cheaper alternatives that won't look out of place on the gaming table.

A well supported website with active discussion forums.

A busy release schedule, there's something released every other week!

A lot more player input than certain other companies.

Anyways, enough from me, check them out:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/
Morituri nolumus mori!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:23 am

Intrigued?

Check out Battlefront's Flames of War "Bootcamp" page....
Tons of vids explaining various aspects of gameplay form beginner stuff to some more advanced rules and situations.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=106
Morituri nolumus mori!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Some cool things about Flames of War and 15mm gaming in general...

-Feel like fielding a full 5 tank company of Tiger tanks? In FOW you can easily in a 'normal' sized game without breaking the bank. Come on, admit it! The thought of putting down over a dozen tanks, plus infantry and artillery in a average sized game has a certain appeal.

-Painting an army in 15mm is much easier than in 28mm. Base colors on, a wash, a quick dry brush and perhaps pick out a detail or two here and there and Robert is your Father's brother.

-There are now quite a few alternatives to Battlefront's minis if you don't want to go that route. The cool thing is one 15mm Sherman V is pretty much the same as another 15mm Sherman V.

-Rules change. That's a fact of life for gamers. However when third edition FOW came out Battlefront promised that they would give everyone with a second edition book a FREE copy of the new book. They gave away the equivalent (in weight) of a T-34 in books. Here in Japan we didn't miss out either. I mailed them and a week later received a package containing 8x copies of the new book, no questions asked.

-Source books etc also change. However, if you really want to play an army list from an older source book, it's still valid. Some of the unit costs might have changed etc but your old 'Market Garden' book is just as valid as the newer compilations. The updates are also readily available around the interwebs if you want to get busy with the Twink/white-out/correction fluid. Or better still, you can make small donation via Paypal to the guy over at Easyarmy.com and you can access his online army builder and the updated lists.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Wanna try it out?

I have 5+ armies you can borrow for a game: Late war Germans, Mechanized Germans, Russian Tanks, Russian Infantry and Free French Armoured (basically US armor).

I also have 3x brand new copies of the Flames of War rules. The first one to call it gets a book for free (the last of the free updates I received). The other two I'll let go for ¥500 each (these are from the 'Open Fire' starter box set.

Wanna dive right in?

I have two complete starter box sets. The contents are yours at the very best 'Mates Rates' (i.e. Cheap, cheap, cheap). You have a choice of forces from the late war 'Operation Market Garden' campaign. The 'goodies' include British Sherman's from XXX corps as well as American Paratroops. The 'baddies' are German grenadiers, with supporting AT guns and Assault Guns.

I'm also considering selling one of my fully painted German grenadier armies (and starting a new one from scratch of course) too, again at mates rates.

Finally, I have enough odds and ends for someone to field a fair sized infantry company (minus supporting platoons) for late or mid war Americans, Soviets or Germans. I have a few tanks and guns looking for good homes too.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

This game is so good it took Pikey 5 posts to explain it all. :D
I have a British army going cheap if anyone wants it.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:56 pm

FoW is an awesome game! You can now play World War 1, World War 2, Vietnam and the 6-Days War as periods.

You can also use alternative 15mm range makers like Plastic Soldier Company, Zedva, Forged In Battle, Peter Pig and Old Glory. There are others, too.

If you want to borrow an army, I also have models available: German heavy tanks, medium tanks, and grenadier; American medium tanks, light tanks, and paratroopers along with British support. There's also some French armored cars and infantry.

I'm always willing to offer demo games, full games and travel to help you learn and play the game. I hope you do join the fun!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 pm

And lo' as the Lead Lords of Nottingham announced their foray into World War One, the gallant warriors from the land of the long white cloud usher forth...

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4553

i.e. Battlefront miniatures have just dropped their WW1 supplement and first wave models, just as Warlord announce their intention of venturing into the same period. Hmmm, curious. :?
Morituri nolumus mori!

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:44 pm

I'll certainly be up for a game Mike. Maybe the next time I come to Hoth base :)

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:10 am

Deffo mate. Come on down.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Return to “Flames of War”