newbie help

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
frans
Warrior

newbie help

Post by frans » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 am

I have decided to buy some trollbloods. I am thinking of ordering:
Hoarluk Doomshaper, Rage of Dhunia
Dire troll
Pyre troll
Storm troll
Fennblades

Is it a legal list?

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: newbie help

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 pm

In short, yes.

Warmachine\Hordes is very forgiving like that. Basically. In fact, completely, the rules for list building are:

1 Warcaster.

as much stuff as you want.

That's about it, really. If you want 5 squads of infantry, thats cool. If you want 5 jacks and no infantry, that is also cool. Anything is cool, basically, with the one caveat that some minis (fancy ones, usually) are classed as "unique", e.g. you can't have two Deathjacks, cos, yknow, in the whole of Immoren there is only one Deathjack. Itd be like having two marneus calgars on the table, on the same side.

I'd recommend getting the trollbloods book, or if you need an instant fix, get WarRoom for the iphone/ipad and pay for the trollbloods deck. Or just ask me, as I have both the army book and the deck for WarRoom. :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:54 pm

That`s a good start for a Trollblood force. You`ll get a lot of mileage out of all of those models. Which Dire Troll are you thinking about starting with? I`d recommend the Mauler or Earthborn; they both beat a lot of face in. You may also consider the UA (unit attachment) for the Fennblades (drummer & standard bearer, I believe). Lastly, I`d consider a solo or two, like the Fellcaller or Janissa.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

frans
Warrior

Post by frans » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 am

me_in_japan wrote:I'd recommend getting the trollbloods book, or if you need an instant fix, get WarRoom for the iphone/ipad and pay for the trollbloods deck. Or just ask me, as I have both the army book and the deck for WarRoom. :D
I tried, but warroom seams a little wonky. I made a try to buy all fractions yesterday but I didn't manage to log in.

thanks I will get the Fennblades officer and drummer. The solo minitures looks great so I will definitly get one or both.

How is it possible to se if a model is plastic or metal? (I would like to avoid metal)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:26 am

me_in_japan wrote:That's about it, really. If you want 5 squads of infantry, thats cool.
It's probably worth pointing out that, while it works in Warmachine, this is generally not such a good strategy in Hordes, where almost every Warlock needs beasts to act as mana batteries.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:36 pm

@Franz: A "plastic only" army is still pretty hard to make in PP games. All weapon attachments and unit attachments and solos are metal...as are any character units, character beasts/jacks...and all warcasters/warlocks (with exceptions from the new battle boxes). Still, your planned Trollblood force is packing about as much plastic as possible at this point. Only the drummer& officer, Janissa, and ole` Hoarluck himself are metal.

I on the other hand have avoided the plastic as much as possible with my PP collections; my Trollblood bag weighs more than a bowling ball.

Danguinius

P.S. TheOtherDave speaks the truth; you need beasts with a Hordes army to generate fury...or lse your warlock just become a "good solo".
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

frans
Warrior

Post by frans » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:36 am

I have no problem with resin, plastic is just easier to convert, paint, durable in general much better than metal

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”