Khador

Discussion for anything related to Hordes, Warmachine or any Privateer Press games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Khador

Post by Primarch » Mon May 31, 2010 7:27 am

Hey,
Well, it looks like I will be getting Khador. Actually I used to have a Khador force (the basic 2 jack/1caster pack and The Butcher), and I traded it to The Other Dave for some Brettonians for WFB as I had never played WM. Now The Other Dave is getting into WFB and is trading me the jacks for a set of goblins.

So I will have two heavy warjacks, 2 casters, what do you recommend? I'd prefer plastic models rather than metal if its possible.

What books do I need to play?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Khador

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 31, 2010 10:54 am

yay! another WM player :)

not that I know jack (ha!) about the game, really, but based on what wiser minds have told me, youre going to need the rulebook (hard or softback), and proooobably (although others can advise better than I, Im sure) a unit of infantry and a solo or two. You do not, apparently, need the Khador book, as all the rules are on the cards that come with the miniatures. The Khador book is full of fluff and stats for all the Khador stuff. It'd help you plan your army for future purchases, I guess.

With regards to plastic models, I dont think there are any for Khador. I read somewhere that theres a plastic Cryx warjack, but I dunno about any other factions. A quick shufty round the website certainly didnt bring any to light. They do seem keen on their big, heavy machines. I think thats kinda the point for a lot of people.

I daresay that whatever force you buy, you'll find, in time, that it's lacking in one department or another, and restorative purchases will have to be made. With that rationale in mind, I just bought the pretty ones when I was buying minis for my Cryx, with an intent to filling in the gaps once I was a bit more savvy to the ins and outs of the game.

I got, btw

1 Heavy Helljack
1 Weenie bonejack
1 Warcaster
2 Solos
1 unit (of 6 guys plus a champion typey model)

All in, 11 models. Not cheap, either. But still, the odds of it expanding to a 100 strong army o doom are...well, nonexistant. I see this as being a huge advantage over 40k :D

Anyway, as newbie players we can learn how to lose together :) Glad to have you in the warmachine gang, boss :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Mon May 31, 2010 12:38 pm

The heavy warjack kit for Khador is plastic. You can make 1 of 4 (or one that can change into each, if you magnetize it) warjacks with it.

Check out the other thread for what you need to get started!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 31, 2010 12:47 pm

ai carumba - sorry for the misinformation, chaps. my bad. Go-go-gadget plastic-warjack arms!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 31, 2010 12:57 pm

Also, the jacks didn't have cards when you gave them to me, and they'd be out of date anyway, what with the move to 2nd edition. Iconoclasm has card decks for 2280 yen, and you'll basically need to get that to play - on the other hand, that would actually give you all the information the army book would have, since again the cards have all the rules on them and (I believe) the card decks are for the complete current range for each army. (Privateer Press sells individual cards for 50 cents each on their webstore, but international shipping would probably make it not worth it. You never know, though. They might be able to throw the 5 or 6 cards you need into an envelope or something.)

I recommended it in the other thread too, but for thinking-about-what-to-buy purposes, it's hard to beat a peek at Battle College.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon May 31, 2010 1:09 pm

I found Battle College to be pretty informative. The site is a wiki, so its easy to navigate and has pics, rules info (altho not stats) and, importantly, a bit of "what I reckon this unit is good for" at the bottom of each entry. It was handy when I was thinking about what to get, but in the end I just went with the whole "pretty model" school of mini purchasing. A couple of games down the line, though, and I suspect that BC will become a very valuable resource indeed.

edit: Maelstrom do the Khador book for 22.50, which works out at 2990 yen at current rates. Thats the softback book, btw.

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Mon May 31, 2010 11:57 pm

According to the forums, they've been working on a way to ship the cards cheaper for overseas, etc. I don't know what came of it, but you could always email their support and ask what they can do for you.

Sir Motor
Rookie

Post by Sir Motor » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:21 am

Another Khador player! GOOD!

Butcher is strong caster. he kill people he kill jack.
He is balanced caster. So,unit and warjack both do good.

I recomend buy Iron Fang Pikemen. These are good for Butcher. With his spell/feat, They do kill a lot!!! with reach(2inch melee range)

I also recommend Man-O-War demo corps. They are tough like light-warjack,they smash like heavy jack!!! With butcher spell.....No one can stand against them! Problem is they are so slow. Slow as heavy jacks. And expensive point cost. But I really love them.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:47 am

Are Widowmakers any good? I like the idea of a sniper squad.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ennui
Veteran

Post by ennui » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:07 am

I agree with Sir Motor, I'd probably go pretty heavy with the Man-o-wars if I were running Khador.

Widowmakers are a really awesome ranged unit in a faction that doesn't do ranged too well. They're awesome as a sniper squad.

Return to “Hordes/Warmachine - ホードとウォーマシーン”